What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by M3CHK1LLA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. techjsteele

techjsteele Contributor

This is next on my list:

[​IMG]

USMarine75 and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

I have one. Not sure how I feel about it yet. It definitely is not plug and play. It sounded very digital/fake/artifact sounding to me, in a Digitech mult-fx pedal kind of way.

The fusion thing sounded absolutely terrible... I literally couldn't find one usable setting. (hoping!).

I'll admit I only played about 30 min on it, so I'm hoping I can tweak some much better tones out of it! Also, I only used it as a drive. I'd like to try it as a preamp as well and see if I get better results.

tl;dr disappointed but hopeful?

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I thought the crunch and lead versions of the Le preamp series sucked from the demos I saw. None of the tones were anything I'd go for. The clean is cool, but yeah, the fusion takes far too long to dial in. They'd be better off getting rid of it, and saving consumers about $80-100.

4. USMarine75

Yeah I prob have 50 OD and dirt pedals at this point... and this might be the most disappointing and least used! I haven't even had the time or desire to try it again, that is how bad my first experience was lol.

5. Spaced Out Ace

Well, it's meant as a preamp, but still. Judging from the demos, I thought the Le Lead and Le Crunch were awful. I almost skipped the Le Clean, which I like, as a result.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

If you want a preamp like the LeLead, get the AMT R2. I love mine and it's much cheaper. I can't find a source, but allegedly

That or check out the AMT SS11B, which I also wanna check out.

USMarine75 likes this.
  7. USMarine75

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  8. USMarine75

I ran it through one of the all time great pedal platforms which usually works well for that application... other preamps sound killer through it and they advertise this can be used that way. I also didn't like it through my headphones either. But I'm definitely going to try it as a traditional preamp into my power amp and 212, as well as give the Di through WoS cabs in my DAW a try. I'm not giving up yet.

Yeah, I can probably think of a bunch of better sounding dirt pedals depending on what he is looking for. Modern high gain, tight, clarity? Just to name a few that are sitting in front of me lol... Custom Audio Art 'Fortis' High Drive, Wampler Dracrys, Emma Pisdiyauwot, Mesa Throttlebox, Sinvertek no5 all sound better IMO. And yes, anything AMT. I have an old Du Hast I'd go with before the Le Lead (so far).

9. Spaced Out Ace

What was the lead version trying to model or mimic or whatever anyways? A rectifier? An ENGL?

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

ALLEGEDLY it's supposed to be similar to an old 2-channel Dual Recto. I wish I can find the source, but google's not giving me much luck.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  11. techjsteele

techjsteele Contributor

I was lucky enough to have a friend lend me his Le Lead pedal for a few days to try out with my rig and I was sold. I liked the AMT R2 pedals demos I've heard (especially Fred Brum's demo), but I definitely liked the Le Lead preamp with my current pedalboard setup (plus having full MIDI control over amp channel changing was a plus). If my friend had the AMT R2, I would have tried it out as well.

I'm going in a full pedalboard rig direction, which is why I even considered a preamp pedal.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  12. Spaced Out Ace

I see. I'd rather a Soldano SLO type preamp deal instead of a recto, but that's cool I guess.

kindsage likes this.
  13. HeHasTheJazzHands

I was in the same boat. It's why I settled on the P2 and R2. loved them both, which is why I also just bought an AmT Japanese Girl wah, and still plan on getting an AMT SS11B. The R2 is nice, but I want *more* :lol:

If it is based on the old Rectos, it shouldn't be too far off from a SLO, allegedly.

14. USMarine75

The Jap Girl (really AMT? lol) is amazing. It was down to that and the JC and I preferred the AMT both for space and tone.

You should check out the VT2 Fryette-based one as well.

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

How's the throttlebox sound? More dual rectoish or markish?

16. Spaced Out Ace

Asians don't get all butthurt over stupid shit. The younger generation does, but fuck em; life is too short to get angry over someone's lame joke.

mnemonic and NickS like this.
  17. Spaced Out Ace

No offense to anyone that likes them, but I thought the Mesa pedals sounded like fucking garbage. It was almost shocking how poor they sounded. I'm going based on demos, but there was nothing that made me think, "Wow, I need that!"

18. USMarine75

I thought it sounded like a Mark 5 lead to my ears but YMMV. It's very underrated. The demos on YT definitely don't do it any justice.

19. Spaced Out Ace

Eh... I'll take your word for it, but I thought the majority of the demos for all of those pedals sounded effing embarrassing. I rather like the Mark series and thought a Mark preamp in a pedal would be killer, but those pedals were not it.

20. USMarine75

Haha well we disagree on nearly everything... what is good tone, demos, reviewers, reviews, playing, bands, genres, courtesy and civility, etc... so it is what it is... and I'm okay with that.

I own the pedal and I owned a Mark V (even though I believe the company says its a Dual-Rec-in-a-box) and I think it nails the Mesa Mark V lead for whatever that is worth. Then again I liked the sound of the Mesa, and if you don't like that...