What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by M3CHK1LLA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

probably a supermassive p90 and some patch cables/power cords.

2. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

FTFY :donnie:

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

will depend on the outcome of my order.
    If it shows up, then some new pickups for it.
    if not probably a refund and buy something Fanned Fret instead

Zender likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

wrong kind of cord :p

r33per likes this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

pulled the trigger on the horizon precision drive. It'll be interesting to compare it to my other ods.

6. Zender

Zender Tinkering, please hold.

Now that I have a nice tube pre-amp, and an HM-2... I think I'm satifie.... No, I need more :)

Looking at a power amp, and 112 cab. But this might take some time. Also, suffering horrible horrible GAS over these guitars:

[​IMG]

https://www.vandermeijguitars.com/

Not an affiliate, nor am I endorsed (I wish..)

lewis and narad like this.
  7. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

I'm thinking I might want to try and build a kit guitar for a beater. Plus it would give me something to do this winter.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  8. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

9. Jake

Jake GAS Master

For once it's not a guitar :lol: (set on guitars for the time being)

I'm not set in the amp game: Obviously I mainly use my Axe FX 2 XL. But for tube amps I have my triple recto and ironheart but may decide to get rid of both in favor of the invective...time will tell I guess. Really like what I've heard so far though (minus the china fiasco :lol:)

10. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Woo, my big bag of capacitors and resistors and various other parts has arrived. Now (when I get the spare time) I can build a bunch more pedals. Maybe once I'm done I'll make an NGD thread for everything I've made lately.

technomancer, Shask and USMarine75 like this.
  11. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Very cool. What have you built?

I got a bunch of 1/8W resistors last time, but thinking about ordering a ton of 1/4W since most Veroboard projects seem to use those. I have tons of caps. I bought 2 of the 3"x5" Veroboards a few weeks ago (I guess you cut them down with a hacksaw or something....). I keep thinking about just ordering several pots in different sizes, 1/4" jacks, and a few powder coated enclosures. I already got ICs, LEDs, etc.... I think with that I would be set to build about anything. Not sure what I would want to build though, lol. Thinking about the Dr. Boogey and BE-OD clone.

There are some BYOC kits I want to get though. I had to stop for a bit because I have been into bass stuff lately, and bought some different Boss bass pedals. I have an Ampeg BA112V2 combo coming today. Also, holiday shopping....

technomancer and mnemonic like this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

a warmoth baritone tele neck for my 80s inspired tele build

ThePhilosopher likes this.
  13. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Awesome!

If I ever kick this cold I need to finish my TC Pre... got the enclosure wired up and started the board just need to wrap that up and get things put together. Also need to finish working up the layout for the Friedman-esqe FBW-100 amp. Got the circuit changes planned out but want to finish a full layout diagram before I start ordering parts. Basically a BE-100 with a couple things from the JJ / Butterslax integrated.

mnemonic likes this.
  14. mnemonic

^cool, I finished another integrated preamp clone a few weeks back, in a bigger enclosure this time (1590bb) so I could fit a bypass switch. I used mono jacks for both input and output this time and it worked fine. No battery tabs since 9v sucks with it anyway.

I also bought some fancy burr brown op amps to try out to see if they sound better than the TL071 I was using. The difference is subtle but I feel like the opa604 has a bit more gain, and is slightly more hi-Fi sounding. Like, I feel I get more highs where the TL071 sounded a bit more boxy. Also the opa604 is cleaner, whereas with high output pickups I can very slightly clip the tl071.

So far I've built an RC Booster, and two TC integrated preamps (second one has a bypass switch). But now I have the parts to make a 33v charge pump in a little box (seperate power supplies is annoying), an MXR M77, a mesa gridslammer, and an EQD Acapulco gold. I have the enclosure already drilled and ready for the Acapulco gold, as that one sounds really like a really interesting pedal. Hopefully I can get it done this weekend.

After that I have a big list of stuff I want to make.

Oh, I also built a pedalboard from a big piece of plywood, I copied the holeyboard since I think they look really cool.

I usually go for 0.6 watt metal film resistors, just in case as I do like running things a higher than 9 volts. Though for my last order I did need a lot of weird values so I've ended up with some 1/4 watt, some carbon film, some weird tiny little metal film ones. At least one of these pedals is gonna have a mess of mismatched-looking resistors.

Byoc do have some legit stuff, I also want to built a Swede soon, so I have a true bypass hm2 clone. The hm300 I have sounds great but it would be nice not to need a true bypass looper on my board. Also, it occcilates like mad when everything is at 10. Maybe that's normal though, I dunno.

Also I've discovered quite a few people who make PCB's for various popular things. Madbeaneffects has lots of stuff. I'd like to get a few Muff PCB's from them and make a few versions.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  15. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Picked up a TC Ditto X2 and Dunlop mini volume for my ambient/rock board :yesway: I may eventually get a basic switching unit like a Carl Martin Octaswitch II for that board, but for now I've got my bases covered.

I don't have any other immediate big purchases in mind, though I'd like to pick up a Fulltone OCD once I can sell my OD9 Pro Plus :metal:

16. technomancer

Awesome :yesway: I've got mine going in a 1590bb with bypass switch and have a built in 25v charge pump. No battery clip for the same reason. Using metal films. I just need to finish building the damn thing :lol: Was hoping to finish it this week, but been fighting a cold so solder smoke is the last thing I've wanted to be around...

Considering taking apart my Fortin Zuul and cloning it to put a through jack on the key input. Stupidest thing ever to have to use a splitter and extra cables for a gate :2c:

Sounds like you've been busy on the building front

17. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

I really need to stop buying gear but probably a pedalboard will be next.

18. mnemonic

Yep, now the weather is cold I have a bit more spare time after work or on the weekends.

I think you had the right idea on a built in charge pump. I'm just making a separate one in a small box I can put by the power supply, that way I don't need another wall wart just for the tc pre.

That Zuul does sound interesting, people do seem to really like it. Mike sure does have a thing for pedals with only one knob.

19. technomancer

Yeah from everything I read the TC sounds like crap at 9v so figured I'd just put one in from the get go.

I need to spend more time with the Zuul, seemed nice but the battery in it died right away and I need to get a splitter to use the key input. It does look like there would be room to put in a through jack opposite the key input if you lose the battery snap, but don't want to mod an expensive pedal :lol: I still need to take it apart but looks like fairly minimal component count. Won't know for sure until I pop the board though.

mnemonic likes this.
  20. technomancer

Actually I wonder if there is any functional / audible difference between the hyped-up Brown Burr opa604 and the current production TI opa604