What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by M3CHK1LLA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

2. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

:rofl:

Maybe this is a little clearer...very high quality hybrid board that can be used to build some very cool amps

Of course with the amount of free time I have it would probably take me 10 years to build something :lol:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

After thinking about it, bought a Boss DD7.

Needed a delay for dirt besides my Carbon Copy. I like the CC, but I like long delays, the option for a digital delay (for clarity), and the tap tempo. Gonna try and mod it for the tap tempo mod down the road to save pedalboard space.

Soooo the Carbon Copy's gotta go. Sorry buddy. :(

techjsteele likes this.
  4. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time...

I actually reached out to Aristides to see if they could do a version of Parker's Solar Flare. Finally about to make it happen. :)

[​IMG]

Blytheryn likes this.
  5. Ebony

Ebony "The Sugarcoater"

I need to gather the money to satisfy my Randall Century-GAS next time I see one pop up. I mean, I've always loved Randall SS but a boosted Century?!?! That is just...mouth-watering, delicious, precious, glorious rhythm-distortion....UGH!!!

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I had a Century 200 II for many years. It was a pretty cool amp boosted with a Tubescreamer, and with an EQ in the loop to crank the bass.

Spaced Out Ace and Ebony like this.
  7. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

That is cool. Maybe you can find some cool stuff. BYOC is a little expensive, but they have some weird stuff no one else has. I know I have been looking at some cheaper kits from other places lately, but nothing has really stood out. Mostly all the same stuff you always see.

I have a Caline Highway Man that is suppose to be a clone of the RC Booster. Not sure how close it is, but it is an interesting pedal. I have actually been thinking about building some bass pedals. I have been wanting to get back into bass playing more. I want to pick up an Ampeg BA112V2 when I find one on sale. I am also considering a cheap 6 string fretless bass. I am not sure if my small hands could play one though, lol. Been kinda bored, and just want something different.

I got my SD-1 and BD-2 yesterday. I missed that SD-1. Makes every guitar sound like it has an EMG 81 in it, lol.

8. Spaced Out Ace

Before anyone asks, this is the same thing as setting the lows on a Mark series amp at about 9:00 then using the 5 band EQ to add lows. Gives you chunk, but keeps it nice and tight.

I'm thinking of getting an SD-1 so I can boost my J Rockett Animal and 10 Ton Hammer with it. Marshalls and Marshall esque pedals sound incredibly good with an SD-1. Think I should Shask? Or should I get an OD-3 to play around with instead?

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

I fucked around with my Marvel Drive by boosting it with the SD-1. Sounded mean as fuck.

Also, it seems like the SD-1 and OD3 are quite different. The OD3 is more flat with a slight mid honk. The SD-1 is thiiiin AF and has tons of midrange (mostly in the high mids).

10. Spaced Out Ace

I meant using the OD-3 more as a distortion/drive pedal instead of a boost. Didn't make that very clear in my previous comment though.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

Either way I still think that rings pretty true. The SD1's known for not having a lot of low end, and the OD3 seems to be a bit more balanced there, as well as lacking the asymmetrical clipping

12. Spaced Out Ace

But what does the OD-3 sound like? The demos on YouTube are pretty much useless.

13. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

BYOC is pretty cool and they do have some neat stuff. That parametric eq that you built was calling my name but to be honest I have little use for a parametric eq, as I can just use the one in my axe fx.

I had looked up the Caline stuff and I did briefly consider the Highway Man as it was slightly cheaper than the RC booster clone kit, but at the end of the day, I would rather build my own because its fun, and I don't know how close it is. I would assume a hobbyist kit would likely be closer if not the same.

One reason I wanted to try it is because it seems similar to the TC Integrated Preamp I have, as its a two-band baxandall active eq, and the frequencies for the EQ are similar. Differences mostly being it uses a dual op amp rather than the single in the TC, and you can set the gain whereas the TC is fixed gain.

Plus the treble knob is mostly useless on the TC given how high up it is. Maybe if I do a bit more research on how the part values change the frequencies, I can bring the treble frequency down and make it more usable.

14. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have never played an OD-3 either. I have always thought it was more of a natural, flat sounding boost. It might sound better as a stand-alone drive. Honestly, I think the SD-1 is pretty bad as a stand-alone drive. It is very thin and trebly. However, that is what makes it awesome boosting other things. It makes other things super tight and aggressive. That is why I wanted another after all these years. Most other boosts try to smooth things sound and sound natural. There is nothing natural about the SD-1. It metalizes anything.

15. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I mostly got the Parametric EQ, because you cant easily buy Parametric EQ pedals. If I build stuff, I want it to be something I cant easily buy. Also, I mostly use my pedals with my actual amp setup, so this allows me to do the type of fine-tuning like I do on my Axe-FX, when I am not using it.

Having the Caline Highway Man, and Pure Sky, is one reason (along with posts on here) why I decided not to built a FET Preamp, or Integrated Preamp clone. Both have the transparent drive thing going on, with very low and high low/hi controls. Both the Orange Burst and Highway Man (Xotic clones) have the Baxandall EQ, which only effects very low, and very high. I think one of the next ones I am going to buy is the Parametric Overdrive. It is one of the few that has control over the mids, instead of the low/hi. I plan on a multi-band compressor also, for bass.

mnemonic likes this.
  16. Dabo Fett

Dabo Fett SS.org Regular

Horsham, PA but straight from Long Island
    Paid for and awaiting arrival...first NGD in about 2 years soon to be incoming!

Attached Files:

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  17. Jake

Jake GAS Master

A few pages ago I know I said I was fully aboard the PRS Train and Reverb knows how to reel me in with sales and financing so here we are.....
    [​IMG]

Anybody want a McCarty, Bulb HT6 or ESP Alexi? As something has to go :lol:

18. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

Looks like I'm going to be building a new computer here in the next few weeks :(

19. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I know there's actual good demos of the BE-OD out there, but I got home Friday and was playing for like 5 minutes and decided to just plant my phone somewhere and record the first riff that came to mind. Hopefully it comes across ok.

Signal was Guitar > Decimator > TC Spark > BE-OD > VHT 2/50/2 > Mesa 2x12 & KSR 2x12

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Shask likes this.
  20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Sounds good to me! Very chunky and tight.