What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by M3CHK1LLA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I'm amazed all over again by the BE-OD. I hit it with a slight mid boost and put it through a Fryette 2/50/2 and it sounds like a modded Marshall amp. The typical "pedal sound" that I don't know how to describe is in there, but you tweak the knobs a bit and it's gone.

It makes me want to check out the Diezel pedal now lol

steinmetzify and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Pedals are all about their application. There are very few ones that just sound good out of the box plugged in to your current rig... which is where most of the forum hate comes from. :2c:

I just bought a new pedal (of course I did)... a Supro Drive. Plugged it in out of the box into my current rig (which is a pedal friendly rig to begin with) that was set up already in my living room, spun the knobs, and played a few rhythms and leads. Nearly put the thing back in the box and returned to sender. OMG I did not like what I heard. My wife even commented that it looked like I just smelled a fart and said she was glad she wasn't the only one that thought it sounded so bad lol. I plugged in a different guitar, tweaked the knobs thoroughly for a good 15 minutes, and gave it a good playthrough. I am in love now and it's not going anywhere. I don't want to derail this into a review, especially if no one cares about this pedal, but I found tones I didn't know existed lol. So back on topic, yeah, I also wonder about those pedals that I've gotten rid of or didn't like, and whether I would have liked them if I knew what I know now about dialing pedals in and choice of rig.

3. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

It is mostly 1/8W resistors, so pretty easy to work with.

I forgot I also have used Boss SD-1 and BD-2 on the way. I figured why not collect some of the basics while I am at it. I had 4 SD-1's years ago and miss them. I figure so many people love the BD-2, why not grab one. The new ones are coming all SMD, so might as well grab one now while it is easier to get a Through Hole one.

4. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Got a couple of power supplies. TrueTone CS12 and CS7. Was getting a ton of noise in my rig, plus needed to have the versatility of multiple 18v, 12v, and 9v outputs, so this'll help a ton

Next is the clean pedal. Was looking at the Shiftline Twin, but now I'm looking at the Ethos Clean II.

6. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Just maybe ( instead of a small tube-amp) going to get a Effectrode Blackbird SR-71 pedal.

Would like to see what others say about this one but I think this may be what I'm looking for... low volume/ tube tone/ running into modeling amp.

USMarine75... opinions?

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

I was considering that... but it looks so clunky and expensive for my rig. :( It's why I was looking at the Ethos and Shift-Line Twin.

8. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Same here... trying to justify it with limited space and limited funds.

Dimensions are 7.5 x 4.8" so definitely will take up some room. I looked into the Ethos as well after I saw your other post about it. I know who to listen to on this board lol!

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I definitely want to pick up a used SD-1 at some point.

10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I had 4 of them at one point. I used them for years. I think I just wanted to try fancier pedals, and also, with all the mods I did, I kind of got aggravated, because I swear I thought the stock one sounded better. It seemed like all the well-known mods just took away the grittiness that makes them so great. I think I just got sick of messing with them, so I got rid of them all. With all this talk of modding pedals lately, I figured why not. You can get a good condition one for like $30.

I kind of want some others also (like a BF-2), but not sure if I want them enough to search them out, lol.

I dunno, it has been fun just collecting pedals. They are small enough, and most of these are cheap enough, that I don't mind them sitting around if I don't use them all the time. I am still thinking about some sort of Rat, and not sure where I will go after that. Still curious about the AMT pedals, BE-OD, Bogner pedals, etc.... but those are all way more expensive, and falls out of impulse range.

11. Spaced Out Ace

Get a stock rat2, replace IC for original, done. I think they've swapped the old AC to a more modern one.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

I've said this a lot, but IMO you gotta try the MXR Badass OD if you either like the SD-1 or wanna try the SD-1. Same vein, but much more versatile and has the option to sound similar to a TS with the bump knob.

Had to sell my MXR and kept my SD-1, but I still wanna get that MXR back one day.

And yeah, next purchase is definitely an Ethos Clean II pedal.

13. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I was looking at the Caline Head Room.... but then I saw a new Rat 2 was only $20 more new, so wondering if the original would be better. Yeah, it looks like the current one you can get for $70 new has a standard Boss~style plug.

14. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I think I would love one of those, just don't think it would be different enough than anything else I have. I have a MXR Classic OD, which was the cheapie version of the GT-OD. The BAOD is basically a GT-OD with the 100hz control added. I have a Green Rhino which has the 100hz control, so I have .... like every variation of the BAOD without actually having one, lol.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  15. Spaced Out Ace

They very recently changed it. Not sure how recent, but probably within the last two years. Might've been a change for this year, actually.

16. TheBloodstained

TheBloodstained SS.org Regular

I haven't had an actual amp to play through the last couple of years, so I'm currently thinking about buying one.
    There's a guy close to where I live who has a Marshall MG100HDFX with a 2x12" Marshall cab equipped with Bugera speakers for sale. His price is fair for what it is.

I'm also thinking about buying an ESP LTD TE-200, just to have another decent 6-string axe.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  17. techjsteele

techjsteele Contributor

Snagged myself a pair of Presonus Eris E8 studio monitors and some JJ tubes for my Mesa Triaxis. I'm now on the hunt for a Boss MD-500 or a Chase Bliss Brothers pedal. Probably will put up my Empress Reverb pedal for sale, as I don't use reverb effects as much as the rest of my effects.

18. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Found a company here in the uk with a bunch of byoc-style pedal kits (pedalparts.co.uk), so I ordered an RC Booster kit.

Unpainted enclosure so I can try my hand at painting this time.

Shask likes this.
  19. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Most metal amps already have an extra drive stage built in. Its probably a rare OD that sounds great in front of a high gain screamer... unless used only for clean boost and EQ.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  20. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

M3CHK1LLA likes this.