What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by M3CHK1LLA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Nevermind, I'm a fucking idiot. Was running a 9v power supply instead of a 12v and was pretty much Eddie Van Halening it. :lol: Also got curious and ran a 18v power supply and it's even cleaner and louder, and hasn't caught fire... yet. Still will eventually get that preamp, though. The Shiftline Twin looks so fucking cool.

On top of that, also considering pedal power supplies. A combination of the 1spot Pro C12 and C7. Oh, and the Duncan EMTY set is a definite go. Also, the chrome hardware for my Explorer. :squint:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  2. MoonJelly

MoonJelly brainless and deadly Contributor

I may be moving into my grandparents place for a bit to help take care of them. So a decent desktop amp that doesn't take up space. Vox Adio would fit in with the aesthetic of their place

But in seriousness I'll probably buy a low 1-5 watt head with an effects loop on it and that'll be my rig

3. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Looking for low wattage head or combo tube amp... also looking for 1-5wt. Something that does cleans very well and takes pedals nicely, like a '57 Custom Champ or Laney Cub or Supro 1606 or maybe a Micro Terror thru a PPC 108 cab... just dunno.

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I'm not sure why but I never even thought of running my AMT pedals on 18 volts, I've been running on 12 volts since day-one since so many people said it sounded better than 9.

I may need to try it out.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  5. MoonJelly

I'm thinking a Micro Dark may be contender, but I'd like to have a loop. The Hotone Heart Attack is looking pretty cool to me.

6. exo

exo SS.org Regular

First post in this thread (I think?), and my next purchase is likely to be an Ibanez SR375m 5 string bass.

I have a 405QM from around 2010 or so that I am really happy with, and am looking for something very similar for a drop C# tuning, rather than Bb standard/drop Ab........the 375m has the comfy SR5 neck profile, and the same pickups/electronics layout as my SR405qm, and seems like the right starting point.......

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  7. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Micro Dark does have a loop (Micro Terror doesn't). I have a Micro Dark and a Hotone Heart Attack. Like them both quite a lot. The only thing to keep in mind with the Heart Attack is that it doesn't do clean at all. It's full throttle recto gain or nothing.

MoonJelly likes this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

looking at getting a mini cab like a 1x8 or so for my kemper.

9. MoonJelly

Maybe I'll get both :lol:
    Basically I want an FX loop to use with a looper or a beat buddy, that way you can loop something dirty over something clean, etc

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

I'm not sure how it would work with the higher-gain pedals. It helps with the F1 because it adds more clean headroom. If anything I'd imagine it'll tighten up the gain, but at the same time reduce the amount on tap.

11. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Yeah true, I have the K2 and R2 and both have way more gain than I'd ever need on tap.

One thing I don't like a lot is the clean channel on them, when I pick hard or leave my boost on, it doesn't sound that great, the breakup isn't so nice. But the main selling point of these pedals is the gain channel (which is awesome) and I'm also comparing it against my axe fx cleans. The Legends still have a decent clean.

I had opened my R2 when I got it but it's all SMD components so I can't read any of the values. I may email AMT later on and ask them how high of a voltage I can run before I risk burning out components.

I think with most boost pedals its usually the electrolytic capacitors that can limit how much voltage you can use if they're rated too low. After that, probably transistors or OP amps.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

I had the 18v power supply plugged in for a good few hours, and so far nothing has happened. IIRC A lot of pedals are meant to run at 9v, but can handle 18v and even sound better. I mean, I'm not sure if the AMTs can handle it in the long run, but it's a good idea to find out.

I'm still eyeing the Shiftline. Talked to someone about it and they say it has much more headroom than the AMT pedals. But in the meantime the AMT @ 18v runs fine.

EDIT: And NOW I'm considering the Ethos Clean II. :( This is difficult. :(

Anyone have any experience with both?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    mnemonic likes this.
  13. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

gear gods did a review of the electro-harmonix battalion and it sounded pretty good. sort-of a poor mans dark glass b7k but obviously not as good sounding. it has a gate and compressor so that's nice. i might get one to complete my bass rig that i don't play cause i'm not in a band playing bass but hope to be some day...

14. SalsaWood

SalsaWood SS.org Regular

Coming back from Axe FX to a Friedman Runt 20. Month or so away I think.

15. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

I think I may get a Boden 7 classic when they drop the tremolo version.

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

Got impatient AF and ended up buying the parts for the Epi 1984. Found a ToM+Gotoh Tailpiece combo for cheap, so I grabbed it. Also ordered a chrome set of knobs, and a set of Hipshot Classic Locking Tuners. Wanted to go authentic and get Grover Mini Rotomatics, but I much prefer Hipshot tuners. Also instead of getting a white/chrome switch tip, I painted my black switch tip white and replaced the black ring for a chrome one. So yeah. That's gonna be done eventually. :lol:

Aaaafter that, it's either saving for the EMTY set for my 7-string, a TrueTone Onespot CS12 and/or CS7, or either an Ethos Clean II or Shiftline Twin MkII.

17. 1b4n3z

1b4n3z SS.org Regular

Been on a spree lately, getting a little ridiculous, really. Just got my dear old reverse head Jackson SL2H back, right after finding a great trans black Sl2H-MAH. Well can't let them go, can I? Then I got a '95 San Dimas which I didn't like, so I sold one for a change. All clear right?

Nah - now I have a trans blue RG8670 on the way. I was supposed to be all set, but damn - this is the guitar I've been looking for for years. Gave it 2 seconds and closed the deal, so now I'm back at 10 guitars when I have room for 7 max.

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

probably some guitar bridges/tuners for my explorer and superstrat builds. still trying to decide if I should do a road flare red tele or go with a more modern shape for that color.

19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

And it's not $500 either :lol:

technomancer likes this.
  20. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

To be fair the $500 ones are pretty much a Dumble head in a box including poweramp with solid state components replacing the tubes (would guess jfets but have never really looked into it)

So it's not like it's a $500 TS808 :lol: