What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by M3CHK1LLA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Don't get me wrong, it is not THAT noticeable. They still sound like the same pedal, but I definitely notice one is a little fatter, and smoother. I mostly notice this when used as a booster (gain at 0, level about 1 oclock, EQ to taste....). You can dial them in similar once you start using them for gain.

I notice either of them bringing in the more raspy midrange when the gain is brought up a little. So, instead of having gain on 0, bring it up a notch to 8 oclock or so. That seems to make it seem more like a Tubescreamer boost. This makes sense to me, because usually a Tubescreamer has a 33K, 47K, or 51K resistor in series with the gain pot, and the BB Preamp has a 10K, so it makes sense that a little more resistance would kick in that circuit more.

I actually ordered a whole bunch of 1/8W resistors that will be here this weekend. Looking forward to seeing what I can do with this thing, lol.

I haven't read anything about circuit difference between the paints. If anything, I thought the older paint versions were older versions, and they were updated. Maybe the companies are just using old stock photos? Mine are the same, paint-wise. I got them from the same place, just a few months apart.

I actually couldn't sleep the other night, and took both apart. I didn't do any kind of in depth analysis or anything, but I just kind of compared values and such. Both appear to have the same values for parts, at least for the major parts. Some of them did look different, like different brands of caps or whatever for 1 or 2 of them. The better sounding one has cleaner soldering, so maybe there is a bad connection in the other one? Who knows. Nothing drastic stood out to me, so I can only assume it comes down to component tolerance, and cleaner soldering.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  2. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Got this noice pair of 2017 Gibson R9 LPs. Flamey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:banana: :hungus:

3. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

^ cant see the pics for some reason...

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Imgur blocks hot linking on this site, you can't embed imgur links.

When I cliked 'reply' to the post, they loaded then, so maybe that's a loophole.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  5. Wizard of Ozz

6. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Works for me. Looks awesome.

Wizard of Ozz likes this.
  7. Wizard of Ozz

Thanks... pic hosts always get blocked here only on SS.org, and not on other forums for some reason.

:mf666:

8. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

Those definitely worked holy crap

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Impulse bought a TC HoF Mini. :lol: Since I'm not using the JC120 anymore, needed something simple and compact to provide reverb.

10. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Replacing the BE-OD I had to get rid of, picking up a Petrucci Wah, and a Voodoo lab Iso 5.

Also finally finishing my Ikea pedal board that's been sitting around waiting for paint for like a year...don't go to school kids, it just gets in the way.

11. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Why'd you have to get rid of the Friedman?

12. protest

protest SS.org Regular

It went with a bunch of other stuff to cover vet bills.

13. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Yeah but when you get a job afterwards you'll be able to afford all the cool gear :lol:

I also feel you on the vet bills, that was where my BE100 went...

14. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Haha true. I just remember sitting there before I did it thinking how much I liked college when I was 20, so graduate school would be cool... :rofl:

And yea man just thinking about moving a Friedman pains me. You got your JJ back though right?

15. technomancer

Yeah fortunately I was able to get the JJ back... it never ends though, we had both out cars go down this week so just had another couple grand go out in repairs so the gear fund is empty for the foreseeable future :lol:

Might list my swamp ash fatback PRS Cu24 just to get some cash back in there...

16. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Ah man, that guitar is awesome. If you need to sell it but want it back, let me know. Depending on how much you want for it, I might be able to "rent" it from you for a few months.

17. Aso

Aso EDM Sludge Music Contributor

If I can get the order corrected, I'm putting a deposit down on a Japan custom shop ESP

technomancer and protest like this.
  18. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

[​IMG]

^ Bought one of these... impulse buy for sure. But hey, it's a pedal with a built in transformer... so why not lol. On a side note, this thing is HUGE.

[​IMG]

^ My last "impulse" buy arrived today! I had put myself on the waitlist after watching a couple demos and then promptly forgot all about it. I received an email saying I had 2 days to decide if I still wanted it. After about 5 days I replied yes lol. It arrived about a day later! And holy cats, people! It is the best low/mid pedal I've ever played. It has something like 19 tone variations between the settings. I've never played a Trainwreck amp, so I can't say whether this sounds like one. This thing covers everything from vintage to moderately high gain Marshall tones. Touch sensitivity from hell, and absolutely singing leads. I'm not sure if it has to do with even and odd order harmonics, asymmetrical vs symmetrical clipping, etc, but this thing has that awesome quality where you can hit two notes and they blend together so smooth and musically, unlike a lot of amps and pedals that just sound kind of harsh. I figured I would try it and if I didn't like it would be the only one up on Reverb and I'd at least get back what I paid... but this thing is going nowhere! :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    technomancer and narad like this.
  19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Considering a Nazgul or Distortion bridge pickup for my new 7-string, or the EMTY Phase II set.

EDIT: And an eventual replacement for my AMT F-1. It's not as clean as I expected. A lot of my pickups are high-output and it causes it to distort.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  20. technomancer

That's pretty cool, had no idea Ethos was starting to put out other pedals.