What is your favorite tuning on 8-string guitar and why?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Lizardkingeightstring, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Lizardkingeightstring

Lizardkingeightstring SS.org Regular

As a newer 8-string guitarist, I've experimented with different tunings over the years. Mainly I like tuning down on my Agile 8-string since its 27inch baritone scale. The tunings I keep it in are E A D G C F A D. D A D G C F A D, D G D G C F A D. I used to tune it to standard F# B E A D G B E. but after while I decided to tuning it down because its sounds better than my 25.5 scale 7-string.

2. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

My main tunings //

E A E A D G B E/E A E A D F# B E (Drop A/E)

Eb Ab Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb (Drop Ab/Eb)

D A D A D G B E/D A D A D F# B E (Drop D/A/D)

E G D G C F A D (Drop G/E)

I used to stick with the Drop A/E variations for 99% of the time, but as of the past few months I've kept my 8 in Drop Ab/Eb and have been loving it. The G changes to an F# when I write clean parts as I find they come more naturally to me with the F# instead of G. Something about the shift from 7 string Drop A to 6 string Drop A with a high E just works. Same for the Drop D-based tunings.

Tuning to an 8 string extension of David Maxim Micic's tuning (Eb Ab Eb Ab Eb Ab Bb Eb) is also incredibly fun to play.

Gorespe likes this.
  3. Gravy Train

Gravy Train Night Fiddler

I keep my two Ibanez RG852's in: F Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb.

Keeps it brutal down low whilst maintaining clarity up on the higher strings.

chopshop777 likes this.
  4. beavis2306

beavis2306 Lusts for gear

I just tuned mine to drop f - f, c, f, a#, d#, g#, c, f. I do not get along with standard tuning and i felt like 27inches was a touch too short for drop e so i just bit the bullet and tuned it up. Sounds chunky af. Pretty happy so far.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

depends on the guitar. some are tuned F A# F A# D# G# C F, others are in F#BEADGBE and my longer scale ones are in DG#FA#D#G#CF or DG#BF#BGBE (offshoot of karnivool's tuning)

MickD7 likes this.
  6. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Mine is just F# standard. Occasionally go half a step down but for the most part I'm happy with the range standard tuning gives me.

7. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val SS.org Regular

Low to high;
    Eb
    Bb
    Eb
    Ab
    Db
    Gb
    Bb
    Eb
    With the scale length on the M80M, it allows for the low tuning and keeps it from getting floppy/mushy.

Type_R3387 likes this.
  8. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I tune everything a step down these days, D on 6s, A on 7s, E on 8s, low B if I ever do the 9 string thing. I do actually play a 9 but it has a treble.
    Rather than tune E A D G C F A D G on a 9 however, I do my treble strings in Perfect 4ths on all guitars for shape uniformity. So E A D G C F Bb Eb Ab on the 9 :)
    So my favourite 8 tuning is E A D G C F Bb Eb, though I would really enjoy A D G C F Bb Eb Ab for a standard scale 8 for jazz and such.

9. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

I like drop E (EBEADGBE) for keeping my standard tuning base covered. I also like CGDGDGBE because the middle 6 are Open C down 2.5 steps and +a treble and bass string (also the top 4 strings are in standard tuning).

10. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

E E E E E E E E

jemfloral likes this.
  11. Type_R3387

Type_R3387 SS.org Regular

Low To High: F,A,D,G,C,F,A,D (Ibanez M80M and Kiesel DC800) and E,B,E,A,D,G,B,E (Other Ibanez M80M)

The low F with A standard is by far my favorite tuning, allowing for all that low tuned goodness and the occasional Meshuggah Cover :eddie:.

12. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

F standard (F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb) is pretty easy to get used to as a six-seven string player. 1/2 step down from standard and the ability to cover Meshuggah and After the Burial are perks to that tuning.

E to D tuning (E, A, D, G, C, F, A, D) is great since the bottom four strings are a standard four string bass (E, A, D, G), yet the top six strings have standard chording and scales at one step down (D standard six string tuning).

Those are really the only eight string tunings that make any sense to me when I pick up an eight string.

13. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Drop E. Can play anything written for standard 6 and 7 string guitars, plus everything else.

The main draw is that it's just so intuitive. Rather than just adding yet another string a fourth below, it makes me think of the instrument more cohesively. Instead of the extra strings being there "if you need them", they've become integral to my playing. Six-string songs I know often utilise the 7th and 8th strings for the phrasing it lends. It's become so integral to my playing that It just feels weird to play 6-string songs on a 6-string.

14. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I haven't had a chance to "downgrade" the Agile 92528 to a wide-nut 82528 yet, but the plan is to go with: ADEADGBE -- Which gives me two sets of root-5th-octave (a 4th apart). That said, I've been drawn lately to ragtime/stride guitar and I've got a good mix of E-Standard (EADGBE), DROP-D (DADGBE) and OPEN-G6 (DGDGBE) pieces. So, the recent idea is to go with DEGADGBE. This way, I'll have all three on one guitar.

If I go that route, I'll have no need for the longer scale, so I'll likely go with an extended NST (FCGDAEGA) tuning on the 82528. But, that will take an 0.007" on the 25-1/2" A. D'Addario NYXLs are supposed to have a breaking strength just shy of 18 lbs, so that A should hold.

The other one I've found appealing, but haven't tried is: F#BEADF#BE (center 6 = Standard down a 4th + a 4th on either end) or possibly EBEADF#BE (Drop-D (down a 4th) + a 4th).

Krauthammer and ThePhilosopher like this.
  15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Mine is BEADGBEA (low to high)

InfinityCollision likes this.
  16. davidswain

davidswain SS.org Regular

Drop E (E B E A D G B E), can cover standard guitar range and bass, have a fifth interval on the bottom for those Helmet moments, just works for me as a guy with 1 instrument and 1 tuning.

MerlinTKD, ElRay and BetterOffShred like this.
  17. Krauthammer

Krauthammer SS.org Regular

E Standard (E A D G C F A D)
    Or this Drop I use, kinda like open C (D G D G C F A D )

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i will always love and respect 8 string guitars. Playing an 8 helped me develop certain techniques and find certain tunings to love, that i now use on baritone 6s instead.

i love open tuning's for massive chords. Currently using and loving:

G#, D#, G#, C#, G#, C#

chords like:

C# ----0----
    G# ----0----
    C# ----0----
    G# ----7----
    D# ----5----
    G# ----5----

Using every string. Lots of chime added to chords.

ElRay likes this.
  19. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

That's why I'm finding DGEADGBE (Open-G6+Drop-D+E-Standard) appealing. I've just got to get something strung-up with that.

Two sets of R-5-8 a 4th/11th apart. :agreed: Kinda begs the question, how to expand to 7 or 8 strings?

• Add a m7 to the bass (F#) -- F#-G#-D#-G# <- Inverted G7 Chord?
    • Add a B# between the two sets -- G#-D#-G#-B#-C#-G#-C# <- Adds the 3rd to the G# and the M7 to the C#?
    • Add another D# on the high-end -- G#-D#-G#-C#-G#-C#-D# <- Adds a M9 to the C# and an octave for the D#?

lewis likes this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I was doing the latter when I was using this tuning on 7 and 8 string guitars.
    However keeping this tuning on an 7-8, especially with added highs, on normal baritone scale, was really tough.

In hindsight I wish I had found a fan fret guitar sooner. (my latest 8 string is a fan. 27inch-25inch). Really helps with high string breakages/tension.

Also, the first option would probably have been better for me on an 8, then shift everything down a string so my low becomes F#, rather than G#. Probably would have avoided the high string issue I had before grabbing a fan fret.

plus, everyone wants to tune lower right haha.