What is this noise? (Pod HD500)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by kirlz, Feb 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kirlz

kirlz SS.org Regular

I have a Line 6 Pod HD500 connected with USB to my computer. When I record hi gain stuff there's some noisy signal at 3000 Hz and 6000 Hz. You can hear it in the audio file found here: http://picosong.com/wkCAU

Today I noticed that if I click a mouse button or a key on the keyboard, the beep/noise gets momentarily louder. This is also audible in the audio file. The mouse and keyboard are also connected using USB. No USB hub involved anywhere.

Does anyone know what this is or at least have a theory and know how to get rid of it?

2. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

sounds like the signal from your mouse and keyboard interfere with the signal of the pod, or something around those lines. not uncommon. but i´m not sure how you´d get rid of that. perhaps plug the pod into the usb port that´s furthest away from the ones that the mouse and keyboard are plugged into.

3. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I'm with Johnny

4. kirlz

kirlz SS.org Regular

Yes, there's probably some kind of interference between USB devices. The mouse and keyboard are both wired by the way. It doesn't matter if I connected the HD500 in the front of the computer and everything else in the back of the computer so I'm thinking the interference is happening somwhere inside the computer... This sucks!

5. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Some other ideas off the top of my head.

Do you have any halogen light around? Did you try another USB cable for the Pod? Did you check your home's electrical ground? Did you try to record further away from your pc screen?

6. NickLAudio

NickLAudio Audio/Video Engineer

I've had this problem in the past. It ended up being the laser in my mouse emitting some kind of interference that was being picked up by my guitars pickups. I could make some crazy sounds moving the mouse all around the pickups area.

Might not be the same problem you're having but you mentioned it happens during high gain recording so it's worth a shot grabbing the mouse and moving close or far away to see if the sound changes.

7. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Just curious, when you guys say move the keyboard/mouse further away, how far away are you saying?

I've had this exact problem for years and this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say it had to do with USB and/or mouse keyboard interference.

Should I like place my interface on the floor a few feet away or is that too extreme

8. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

It's actually more to do with poor driver design and mediocre components that line 6 uses which makes them an inherently noisy unit. If you've had an axe fx II and a pod hd at the same time the first thing that becomes apparent is how much more pristine your signal is with the axe fx II.

noise floor is crucial to good tone. the more of it in your signal the harder it is to dial in a good tone because to fight those bad frequencies you might also be cutting stuff that might be beneficial to your actual tone.

First place to start is eliminating ground loops. Plug in everything to the same electrical outlet. Make sure you use quality power bars and don't cheap out on your computers PSU.
    if you want to eliminate ugly noise from your signal unfortunately you're really going to want to improve your signal chain overall and consider dropping the pod for something better. From my experience it's a pretty noisy unit and unless you like that super gated sound it's not really ideal to use gates to battle a noise issue as they are more for controlling unwanted feedback and noise from running a high gain chain and won't get rid of a high noise floor in your signal. If anything a noisier signal chain makes it harder for a gate to work properly.

9. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

It could be many things, ive dealt with this many times! Could be the pc, mouse/keyboard, the outlet your plugged into or just something its close to. Just move the Pod around til its quiet, only way to find out whats causing it

10. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

It's a shame this is fairly common with Line6 gear. I still randomly use a PodXT for late night ideas and writing without bothering anyone. The amount of times I've picked up radio stations is funny but also a little annoying. I can swap the PodXT in the exact same environment and be completely noise/interference free.

The struggle is real with Line6. Everyone above has mentioned the typical factors that you'll need to focus on.