What is this buzzing noise? Video included

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by goregrinder, Aug 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. goregrinder

goregrinder SS.org Regular

Hi team,

I often get this buzzing noise when doing voiceovers for my videos. Any ideas what it might sound like? I live in a modern apartment (no less than 2 years old). I've tried running an extension lead from my computer to different power outlets around the apartment that are far away. I've turned off all lights and anything with a motor, apart from the fridge. But I've noticed this type of buzz also comes through the alarm speaker system that runs throughout the entire building.

My signal chain is Furman M10XE > Computer > BabyFace Pro > Hosa cable (3 feet) > SM7b.

See video for noise -

Cheers,
    Goregrinder

2. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

That sure sounds like electrical noise to me. Used to happen to me with my AxeFx when it was on, and I was sitting at my computer playing. The cause of the noise ended up being a dimmer switch that I in my studio, along with CFL bulbs, unplugged mics, and the power supply from my PC. I ended up replacing the dimmer with an actual switch, replaced all the CFL bulbs with LED ones, and also surrounded my PC tower with a breathable box. No issues since.

Analyze your environment and take inventory of everything has power running to it. Try the process of elimination by turning things off and seeing if that buzzing goes away. I do think it's electrical noise, or some sort of bad connection.

Happy hunting!

3. goregrinder

goregrinder SS.org Regular

Thanks. I'm starting to wonder if it's the PC itself as everything electrical in the apartment is unplugged at the wall when I've tried to locate the source.

You mention replacing your PC tower with a breathable box - can you tell me more about that? I don't think I've ever come across that term before.

4. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

What I meant by that was that I just found a little end table that my PC tower could fit in. I then drilled a bunch of holes in the back of the drawer to allow airflow. It helped contain the noise coming from the PSU. Hope that helps!