What interval is this?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Hollowway, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

This is the theme song from Bizaardvark (don't judge). For the first two lines, what interval are the girls singing in the harmony? I suck at intervals (and harmonies) for vocals, but I would guess either a minor 3rd or a 4th. But the fact that I can't tell between those two shows me I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

definitely judging you:lol:

3. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

One voice stays the same. The other voice descends chromatically. It almost sounds like there is a ring modulator too so it is not the easiest thing to hear.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  4. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

One girl is singing an F note, then the other one is descending chromatically --
    -- Eb, D, Db, C (or m7, 6, b6, 5), assuming F is the tonic.

That chromatic thing down to the fifth is used a lot in pop music. For some reason, this is the only vocal line I can think of where it's used (the "hahaha" bit in the verse, and "Be careful what you wish for..." part if you listen to the backing track), no doubt you'll be loving it, Holloway ;)

This is also another one, in the verse -- also going down to the fifth.

Dare I say this is arguably the best music in an SSo_Org thread I've ever seen

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Thanks guys! I knew sso wouldn't let me down. I think that's a super cool sound, and I don't know why I hadn't heard it before. It's a pretty haunting sound, so you'd think I'd have heard it in metal. Seems like it would be a challenge to sing, as well. Though, I'm horrible at singing, so I'm hardly one to know. :lol:

6. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

I used to hear this all the time in those barbie movies. (don't judge me and I won't judge you bud)

7. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

Have you ever heard the song "The Frayed Ends Of Sanity" by this band called "Metallica"? lol...

the part where James sings "height, hell, time, haste, terror, tension" and "life, death, want, waste, mass depression" he sings the same note on each word, and on the guitar he does a chromatic drop.

Now I'm not sure if it starts on a m7 and drops to a 5th, but I just got through listening to that album earlier in the day prior to reading this thread, and that was one of the last songs on the album (track 7 out of 9), and I was just noticing to myself how cool that sounded while I was listening to it...

...so then when I came onto SS to check out some threads I hadn't read yet, and read this one, and read the description of what was musically was going on in that song you were trying to figure out, I immediately realized this was like an amazing coincidence on like the quantum physics type level of amazing, lol.

And then to top it off you were saying "you'd think I'd have heard it in metal." it's like I was directed to your thread to give you a "metal" example of it, that is too awesome! :D

EDIT: And now after posting I just noticed that we both posted at "05:40" (although you in the PM, and me in the AM). So exactly 60 hours (2.5 days) after your post, to the minute, lol! And then to top it off we are both in California. *twilight zone theme plays* LOL! :D