What I do for school/future career...

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by MFB, Mar 13, 2014.

1. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Hi guys/gals.

It's Thursday, which means I've been in class from 9AM-5:30~ and then come home and loaf around feeling like the rest of my day is useless, so I figured I'd instead of doing homework I should be doing (desperately); I'd post my art-works of what I do for school and future career of 3D Environment Artist.

Here's some stuff from my Hard Surface/Organic Modelling class, in which we model both ...hard surfaces (metal, wood, plastic) and organic stuff (skin, clothes, etc)

Close-up of the light-bulb housing
    [​IMG]

This next one was by far my biggest challenge and I tackled it over the course of a few days assembling the pods one day, then the ground another, making the generator here and there, etc... Total count for this scene was over 7.7 MILLION polygons, which for reference, characters in games are usually around the 10-15K mark but can go as high as 30K + environments which are around 100-300K depending upon the style/environment/etc... so say 4-500,000 TOTAL?

Each one of these images took 37 minutes to render, 37 MINUTES for one photo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is an underground crystal cavern project I started for an outdoor scene but scrapped for that assignment since it was meeting full criteria. Ideally, I'd like
    to go back and finish it to be a full portfolio piece.
    [​IMG]

From the other end of the cavern looking inward
    [​IMG]

My most recent piece, an underwater scene featuring a handful of sunken ships, some shields, etc... This guy when he was said and done was 1,440 frames of content and took about ...9 hours to render for just under a minute of footage!

Once this quarter ends I'll be updating my new Tumblr (exbendableart.tumblr.com) fairly often since we do weekly assignments. For my own personal projects, I'll be starting a spaceship hopefully in two weeks during my break, but we'll see what happens.

bostjan, Daf57, Alberto7 and 7 others like this.
  2. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

Awesome stuff, when I around 10 I wanted to be a graphic designer, but then I started playing music. But I've always had a soft spot/hobby for this kind of stuff. I haven't done any 3-D modeling though, I've just kept it doodlings and stuff like that.

3. MFB

MFB ExBendable

The hardest part about 3D Modeling is getting the software. It's crazy expensive for the base program I use ($4K for 3DS MAX) along with other programs costing around the same like ZBrush which is used for pretty much all game characters now because it makes creating wrinkles and hair, etc... so much easier.

Once you GET the software, it's just about putting in time to get quicker at modelling. I've whipped out some quick models before, and some stuff you can create bases for like human bodies. You create a generic template to work from, then just re-arrange certain elements to create a new physique and then create clothing on top of that.

4. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

:eek: I never knew the software cost that much, btw I've always wanted to know how people in the virtual/gaming arts get their jobs. Do they just simply apply for a job when there's an opening or are they given a position by the school they graduate from? And what's the fastest time you've ever put together a model?

5. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

You mentioned homework so you're a student... 3DS and the rest of the Autodesk software have been free for students for some time now. ZBrush is sadly not free but 600 is... Well, more reasonable than 4,000. You get Mudbox from Autodesk but everyone seems to hate Mudbox.

As far as how people get these jobs, games and entertainment are very much based on ability rather than credential. It's all about showing a strong portfolio with solid technical and artistic ability. And the ability to see something to completion. Many build those portfolios and skills as part of their degree, many do it on the side. After that you apply for jobs. Games, movies, TV, whatever.

Me, I am a programmer and I have been making games on my own time for years and years. I took a break during college to work on AAA titles which was a very nice year off. I didn't have a degree, just a history of creating and a lot of technical knowledge.

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Yeah, that's true that as a student we do get it for free which I can't stress how amazing it is that they're willing to do that for us. Same for Unity who have both a free version and a Pro version which has some cool stuff but nothing too major in comparison if you don't really need it.

I didn't realize Zbrush was so much cheaper, I knew it was an Autodesk product which usually means a hefty tag attached to it but that's not bad at all. Not sure what the learning curve is like compared to 3DS/Maya (the latter of which I've heard is a nightmare)

7. Alimination

Alimination Space Adventurer

Honestly if you know one program you know them all. I started out in Max in school, but when I went to my currently job we use Maya primarily. It's mostly the keyboard shortcuts that you have to re figure out.

If you're on a budget check out Blender. It's a free and top notch program. Totally able to compete with the top dog tools.

Zbrush is a bit different because you're not in a 3D word necessarily, It's more like you're looking down at a model and turning it around with your hand as you sculpt. The interface is different from most 3D applications. Once you master it, it is an irreplaceable tool. Their main website has fantastic beginner tutorials.

Also cool scene!

Have they thought you texturing and material/shaders yet? Man, you went far and beyond polygon count lol 7 mil for a simple scene? You're brave sir! Has your machine exploded?

hehe seriously, your work eats my beginner stuff.

Check out the wireframes on some of the industry games. It's all in the Textures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

That's awesome, man. :yesway:

9. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Alimination, I haven't posted my textures yet since I'm in that class right now :D I'll definitely be posting them once they're done though. For HSaOM its more about the model then anything else so everything gets a basic gray material.

10. Sebastian

Sebastian Poland CEO / RHLC ©

Why on earth didn't I see this earlier :scratch:

Awesome work man! :metal:

11. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

Actually to chime in I would say that a good texture artist is an unsung hero, ( Even if the model is mediocre, a solid painter/texture artist can really push it to greater heights) but more often it's still a sum of all parts. quality of the model, polycount, lighting, engine etc.

What's the old saying? " your only as strong as your weakest component/part?"

My studio is working on a mobile game currently and the limitations are ... shall I say politely .. very frustrating for the art team. It feels like your handicapped off the start, so it's up to the talent of your team as to what they can squeeze out, giving the restrictions.

12. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Yeah, I've been looking do a low-poly game for a little while now and from what I've seen for other games in the vein that I'm doing, the textures go a LONG way as well as normal mapping.

I'm sitting here right now actually unwrapping a Gladiator for my final on Thursday and good lord, it's taking forever. I then have to do through and do the texturing which is going to be extremely mediocre since I'll have about two days to do it, then render a turnaround + wireframe for a demo reel to pass the class.

Kill. Me.

13. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Sneak peek at what I'll be posting in a few days for my Materials class

[​IMG]

Just rendering the wireframe alone has taken just under 10 hours with Mental Ray for 166 frames, and the total video is only 300 frames. I also have to render this out one more time with the actual materials on there, which I'll be doing at school with a small render farm (hopefully)

14. Alimination

Alimination Space Adventurer

I like what you brought up. There is a little magic in that kind of limitation. Back in school our teachers gave us a limitation of only being able to use a few colors to paint on a canvas. It really pushed us to think outside the box.

Same could be applied with guitar. There was a clinic with Greg Howe and he talked about ways to improve creativity. He suggested by maybe write a song off one string? (which he pulled off on the spot effortlessly) lol

15. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Materials and Lighting class has officially wrapped up (thank GOD) so I'll ha e that posted up soon. I'm gonna be starting my own personal project this week so hopefully I can show that off too.

16. MFB

MFB ExBendable

:holy:

It took a LOT of work in the end (6 all-nighters in a month) since I got behind trying to please my HS&OM teacher and neglected M&L, but I got a B- from the teacher whom I clash with the most and really care not to have again; even though I know I have at least one more class to take with him, as well as possibly/most likely my Portfolio classes :(

Here's a shot from the game I'm currently building in my spare-time, it's going to be an on-rails sort of flight simulator where you go flying around in space shooting out turrets/enemy ships/collecting power-ups, etc...

Right now, one of the corridors which will repeat (kind of like Temple-Run where you've got a handful of paths and they just interchange) is 3,400 polygons and the four-way intersection between them is at 849, so I'm at 4,249 total for a large chunk of the game. You'll also notice a railway running down the middle of the pathway, which is gonna be for a service-cart that goes around making repairs to the ship's exterior and you'll have to dodge it. Along with that, there's going to be little service-tunnels which you can fly through but will be somewhat challenging as they'll have clusters of piping and such to deal with, so I'll have to model those soon; along with the turrets that you'll destroy, and a large chunk of other assets but right now I wanted to get the main environment components down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. MFB

MFB ExBendable

More sneak peeks coming at ya, this time it's a service tunnel I decided to make which goes below the main run of the ship's hull. With some of the missions I've got in mind where you've got to first take out power generators for the turrets, you can either dodge their rounds by spiralling/etc, using your shield power which is limited to period of use and then recharges over time, or just straight avoid them by going in these and around until you find the generators and then take em out.

Given how fast the ships move, the light fixtures aren't super high-detailed and will more rely on textures than bump/normal maps
    [​IMG]

Entryway into the tunnel, which as you can see is a pretty simple/clean transition. There is an inclined ramp that leads down, but given the angle you can't see it
    [​IMG]

And here's said ramp leading down into the tunnel
    [​IMG]

18. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Also relevant, business cards!

The other day I designed a vertical card and got some feedback and I tried something different. That next one had the same info twice, but they were mirrored so that regardless of how you flipped the card, it was immediately readable. Needless to say it looked crammed and was a better idea than execution. Then today I remembered looking at some cards that were sort of based off of playing cards and I figured I'd try my hand at them (no pun intended).

Kind of crappy with the black barring but it does have some personal info on there and I'm not too keen on having it just floating around on the web (at least not until I'm worth a damn for work)

[​IMG]

This is a sort of time lapse for the revisions I've done and you can see how they changed. I changed from my original 3x3 white-on-black square to a hexagon to create this little honeycomb looking thing and it reads both down, or clockwise which works nicely. I tried two different styles of borders: one along the inner portion of the card connecting the two pieces, as well as one along the outer edge; then eventually both together. That created this weird negative space which framed the card rather oddly so I ditched it, but did realize that filling in the missing portion from the original (top left) gave a more complete feeling (bottom left). From there I played with the size/spacing/placement of name and info and it was where I wanted it.

19. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Welp, what initially started out as a low-poly ship quickly turned into a regular count ship, and this is right at about 20K, mainly due to the front guns/rockets, but this is just one ship out of probably 5 or so that I've got planned. I got the hull of the ship down in about 2 hours, then did wings, and moved onto little details like the engine and thrusters, stabilizer fins, rocket pod, etc... Total time spent modeling was off and on about six hours, and I'll probably go in and add a bunch of little details for a higher-poly (100K maybe?) normal map that can be applied to this 20K mesh and really bump up the look (no pun intended)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Ship progress = currently unwrapping, got about 3/4 of the way so it should be done shortly and ready for texturing. Completed portions are: nose tip, front extrusion, cockpit, top/mid/bottom of hull, landing gear flaps, wing hinges, hinge screws, cannon housings, stabilizer fins, right rear thruster, left air intake, combustion chamber. Which means it needs one more intake unwrapped, one more thruster, the main engine exhaust, cannnons, wings, and rocket pods/rockets.

My new school quarter started yesterday so I won't have too much cool stuff to show off in here since I'll probably be busy just working. At the moment, I've spent the past hour or so working off and on in Maya and I've got to say it's quite horrid. Everything I know about modeling in Max is still relevant, but the shortcuts are entirely different, there's no simple way to load custom presets, and everything takes an extra step at minimum. I don't see why anyone would want to use this after using Max. Hell, even moving around the viewport is a pain in the ass since you have to use Alt for everything instead of just middle-mouse.