What happened to band t-shirts? Are they all thin and flimsy now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rev2010, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Was in Atlantic City this weekend and passed by a Hot Topic (yes ugh, I know lol) and just figured why not pop in and pickup a band t-shirt. Every t-shirt in the entire store was super thin and featherweight. I also noticed a lot of the screen printing is of lower quality. Is this just a Hot Topic thing or are they all like this these days? Are there no more quality Hanes and Gildan band shirts?

Rev.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I didn't realize Gildan and stuff like that was sold in stores. I don't really buy band shirts that way so I never looked closely, but I guess it makes sense. Or I guess it would be more accurate to say "used to be" sold in stored?

3. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I actually don't like Gildan's stuff at all, real heavy and just absolutely horrendous form-fit, Hanes is better but still just feels cheap. Most of the shirts I've bought recently have all been tri-blend, or I think the other term is 'pre-shrunk cotton' which to me feels more comfortable and like it's actually worth the cost; I also feel they look better when screen printed, but their not the tees they sell in Hot Topic either so :shrug:

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I think it's just Hot Topic. The shirts I buy at shows always feel good and have decent weight to them. Sometimes Walmart or Target will have a Van Halen shirt, but the material is so thin and flimsy, it's not worth giving a second thought.

5. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Band shirts were $20 (around $35 in today's money) in stores back in the 90's and they're probably around that price point in stores today. With prices almost doubling in that time, if the price point is the same today as it was back then, the quality will have declined in order to to hit that price point.

Razerjack likes this.