What guitar picks do you use ?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by AC.Lin, May 2, 2018.

1. AC.Lin

AC.Lin Master of the 0-string guitar

Hello !

I am digging into a "pick" existential questioning where i keep wondering if i should try new picks, for the sound and for the fun of course. So why not asking you all and get some ideas about it ?!

So basically i would like to know the following:
    - What guitar pick do you use ?
    - What thickness ?
    - Any comment/opinion on it ?
    - Any picks you hate or had interesting experience with ?

I'm currently using 2 picks:
    - Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2.0; really thick and the hardest i ever used, giving a really bright sound that i love, a really long longevity, but it's not the best for sweeppicking or fastpicking. But definitely the best imo for big sounding riffs and very bright clean.
    https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/427r-7-10137-05103-4.do

- Dunlop Tortex Jazz III Pitch Black 1.5mm; really thick and hard but not as much as the Ultex, really good for sweepicking and fastpicking, but it's not as bright and gives more bass. So it's very confortable to play with this one, but i prefer the previous one regarding the sound.
    https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/4...sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=2&refType=&from=fn

2. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Planet waves black ice, very long lasting picks, low picking noise, low friction, nice grip. Love the shape (jazz shape, a lil bigger than tortex jazz picks). Used to have the mediums, now trying the thicker ones. Prefer the former, but the thickers are nice as well, maybe a lil less bright at the beginning. Pitch black used to be my go-to picks, now I find myself liking these a lil better.

Malevolent_Croatian likes this.
  3. AC.Lin

It really looks like the Pitch Black i use, is there really a difference ?

4. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

Guitars with heavier strings or 7 string: Fender Extra Heavy. They just work really well for me. I can do the Fear Factory type staccato chug really nicely with them.

Guitars in standard tuning: Usually Jim Dunlop stubby 3.0mm. Really nice and prices and for doing the thrashy type speed muted rhythms, the slightly rounded tip gives a really nice attack while leaving me unconcerned with the pick being floppy

5. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

The B-Ice is slightly bigger and the material is different IIRC.

6. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

I'm really ok with any thick pick. I hate the thin floppy ones unless I'm strumming an acoustic.

I'd like to believe I'm not 'pick'y anyway but I do tend to mainly use these.

[​IMG]

Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0mm

Edit: The purple I believe adds to the tone.

7. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

I recently switched to D'addario Black Ice Heavy (1.10mm).

It is basically the same tortex material, but it is a hair larger than the Jazz. If you have played the Petrucci Signature Jazz Pick, the Black Ice is basically the same size (a hair smaller).

8. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I go back and forth between Red Bear Guthrie Govan's and Dunlop JPs (several varieties). Love the Red Bears. My favorite material of any pick I've ever owned.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'll be the weird one out -> I've been using the Tortex Pitch Black Jazz III 0.60mm. It's the size and shape of a normal Jazz III, except that it's thin. I never liked 1mm+ picks. Even .8 is bit of overkill on guitar (but I'll use that for a bass sometimes).

Patrick R Hearn and couverdure like this.
  10. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

AC.Lin likes this.
  11. TheArsonistsDaughter

TheArsonistsDaughter SS.org Regular

Dunlop Jazztone 207s...been using them for probably 15 years? When I first started trying to play fast I tried a bunch of picks and spent a lot of time dialing in my string gauge and action preferences to reduce resistance. I found that I could play much faster when the pick had no flex. I'm a bit of a weirdo though, because I don't use the point, I use one of the corners. Well, the upper left corner to be specific. I gotta have the logo facing up so my thumb grips it. I'm a wee bit ocd about these things...

So there's actually very little pick surface making contact with the strings. I can fly pretty fast on trem picking and pinch harmonics are super easy. The downside is that sweeping...if I were able to do it...is tough and I have a 30 degree angle ground down on my index finger nail...lol

Currently playing 7s in standard tuning with 10-56 strings.

I just read that the new Petrucci picks were based on this series after he got into some gypsy jazz players that use them.

Also, AWESOME I.O. avatar to the op...

Attached Files:

AC.Lin likes this.
  12. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I tried a bunch, and IMHO heavy celluloid pics just sounded the best. There really was a difference in the tone (warmer, bigger) to me.

They last pretty well and if they start rounding off, just hit them with a file and put another point on it.

13. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

D'addario Black Ice 1.10mm are one of the best suitable jazz sized picks for me, nice grip, bends a little bit when playing, low string noise but still good attack, and you can "feel" the strings through it.

For bigger size I go for Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.0mm. Very snappy attack with nice amount of string noise, which makes cold and edgy tone, but it still sounds very clean. With this you can also feel strings nicely between your pick and fingers. It reaches strings better than jazz sized picks, which I like.

Recent weird pick experiences; Dunlop Flow John Petrucci 2.0mm, way too thick, and it flows through strings almost too effortlessly. Good for smooth and fast lead playing because of it's flowiness. Size in these are the only good thing for me.

And second one is Dunlop Tortex Sharp 1.5mm, which I bought because Jeff Loomis uses them. Too pointy, and tip is not tapered at all, so it feels very blunt against strings. Almost too crunchy tone with thicker strings. Tone is interesting, but weird feel of this pick ruins everything.

Guess I like not too thick picks with snappy material, and enough string feel with not too fast release point.

14. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Played black Jazz IIIs for around 18 years and only dabbled with a Dava Control Pick for a bit up until a couple of years ago.

Nabbed some Gravity Picks and took to the Sunrise Mini in 1.5mm and 3.0mm. I like how bright they are, but they can be chirpier than hell on some strings. I'm planning on doing a lot of pick testing coming up and if I can bring myself to spend the money, I'm even going to try a Blue Chip.

That said, the tone of a Heavy Celluloid pick still has some type of magic to me after two decades. I like the Fender 551 shape and want to try the Planet Waves Black Ice. Tortex Jazz IIIs were not my thing.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to wind up with a 2.0mm or 2.5mm thick pick. The 1.5mm Sunrise feels great playing, but the 3.0 feels better holding.

15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I even own some V picks but still prefer the Big Stubby 3.0
    It's all about that thumb relief

watson503 likes this.
  16. WiseSplinter

WiseSplinter SS.org Regular

SikPik's are great for me.
    [​IMG]

17. AC.Lin

3.0mm ? And i thought my 2.0mm Ultex was thick !
    Isn't it too thich though ? Causing pain to the end or hard to sweep with ?
    Because it looks really interesting !

I really wanna give this one a shot, also the "normal" JP signature looks interesting aswell. Since i'm into smooth picks, i might order some.

What the **** is that ? :congress:
    I don't even know if it's confortable or not. Looks strange but i would love to try ! Is it smooth or does it grab on the string ?

18. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Currently using Dunlop John Petrucci: perfect dimensions and thickness for me, and also very durable.

2.0 mm is the max for me; I've tried 3.0 mm in the past but it felt like I had no control on picking.

19. AC.Lin

Do you use it mainly as a riff-guy or a lead/solo-guy ?
    If you solo, how smooth is it for sweep and really fast picking ?

20. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

Dunlop Primetone Jazz III XL's at 1.4mm.

I've hardly felt like using anyhting else since I first got one of these a couple years ago. Perfect size for me, great dynamic control, good grip, clear and smooth tone, fast release (without being too fast) and they last for a good while. Not much else I could ask for!