What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Jamming on Spider-Man; got thru the Mr. Negative man campaign and thought it was winding down, next thing I know Octavius broke everyone out of Ryker’s AND the Raft, and then the Sinister Six showed up, so holy crap.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

That moment was cool. I too finished the Mr Negative part, figured everything was winding down.... Then I noticed I was less than 50% of the campaign. And then that happened. Still, great game, and it was nice to get the Platinum.

Got to chapter 7 of Yakuza Kiwami last night. I do think it's great, but I can see why people consider it the weakest of the recent Yakuza Western releases.

Oh, and have I mentioned how great Tetris Effect is?

3. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I picked up Overwatch about a month ago now on the recommendation of a co-worker, got pretty into it learning the heroes, their abilities, the maps, what team builds work together, and have moved on to playing Competitive mode when I can. Sad part is, the same co-worker who recommended it, absolutely KILLS my season ranking when we play together (we've yet to win together) and the one mode he can practice on, he claims is useless because no one cares about winning (not true); so he just gets online, goes right into Comp mode, then gets mad when he can't win, but he barely knows the game as well as I do because I'm willing to put in the time to 'git gud.'

I don't expect to go play for Uprising or anything, but I enjoy Comp. Overwatch like people enjoy Hardcore TDM on COD, so if you're going to complain about it, at least know what you're complaining about

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yeah it’s an issue of “if you can’t even aim well/strategize on a map you can’t expect to do well in a mode where it’s assumed EVERYONE can”. And also, unranked randoms can still smash you in. So sounds like he just doesn’t take game seriously (enough) to do more than run into comp lose and then do it some more. In fighting games 80% of my time is in training mode just practicing inputs, as time is limited.

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I LOVED Kiwami 1 as it was my second one of those games and 0 set up the characters so well that the drama really landed. Like, I even really cared about what happened to minor characters like Serena. If I'd played Kiwami 1 first or had played games other than 0 before it I might not have liked it so much. The characters did feel really thin if I stood back and looked at is a self-contained unit, so I'm really glad I played 0 first.

I am getting there with AC Odyssey, there are still tons of "character" quests left, but I have every single achievement besides the two nuts completionist exploration ones. Then I realized I didn't have the DLC pack installed, so I have to do that! I have enjoyed this game quite a bit, and I like the main character, but the story is kinda weak and on par with your average decent videogame story. There was nowhere near the impact of something like Nier Automata or Witcher 3 or the later more sci-fi parts of Horizon Zero Dawn with it, and you're just kind of a standard videogame avatar running around talking to characters that in general are just boring NPCs. Socrates is the one I really liked. The gameplay got fun as I got further into the game, it was infuriating and I died quite a bit, especially in the conquest battles, before I noticed there was a self-heal that I could invest points in! Ship battles could also suck when mercenaries would show up in the middle of them and you could go 100-0 in a matter of seconds if you were in a bad position. I had it on normal, so I could usually just cheese it by killing/boarding the easy ships to heal myself as the other ships will just wait for you until you take command again!

The huge Odyssey chain that starts with what's listed as a side-quest to find your lost father and morphs into the weirdest stuff in the game by far is fantastic. I dunno why they stuffed it deep into your quest log until you actually find him. I didn't die to any of the bosses, but the fights were still quite tense, especially
    Medusa.

This game was fun enough that I think I'm going to go back and try some more of these things. I only got a few hours into Origins, and I think I only got a few MINUTES into AC2 back in the day, but it played like absolute trash with keyboard/mouse. Coincidentally, the whole series is heavily discounted on PS4 right now. I got the "Ezio Collection" and want to try that first, though it sounds like the only one I am sure I'll enjoy is Brotherhood. There are too damn many of these games. I got Syndicate and Unity as well since they're also quite cheap, and have had Black Flag for a long time and haven't gotten around to it, but skipped Rogue remastered since the price was highest (as it's most recent pre-origins) and the reviews are mostly quite bad! I love having a monster backlog that I'll never get through. At least Spider-Man jumped back up to like 80 bucks instead of 40 so I wasn't tempted to get it.

Oh, and I got Mario Kart for Switch for 20 bucks so I can practice cause I have friends that like to make me play it and I'm quite bad.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Edit: Regarding Jimquisition, since lots of conversation happened since. :lol:

It's not so much the types of games that he targets, so much as the tone -> The cynical, angry, "the bigger the business, the more evil by default" mentality, the snark, the grating voices and characters being put on, etc. And a lot of content I've seen from him is sort of just beating the dead horse of whatever drama is happening in gaming at the time. It's the fact that his criticism amounts to "this game is shit" and "whoever made this must have shit for brains", as opposed to "ok, something here clearly didn't work, lets try to figure out what". It's not that he's wrong -> it's that he's a dick about it. Being publicly right and an asshole at the same time (and being successful for being an ass about being right) gives other people license to be assholes with they think they're also right.

That's why I keep coming back to Errant Signal I think -> Because it's not always positive, but it's respectful - and almost always constructive, or at least tries to be analytical. There's a ton of the cynical stuff out there, a ton of the angry stuff, and there's even a ton of the "game makers toolkit" style videos out there that like to talk about design and mechanics but always in a sort of dry academic light that doesn't talk about when things don't work, or the impact of any particular title. I know it's not the same kind of video, but that's the lament I guess - that we have too many Jim Sterlings and Angry Nerds, and not enough Errant Signals.

Another one I really like is Ross's Game Dungeon - just because it's such a genuine take on things. He only gets angry/cynical when there's good reason to, but sometimes instead is just thrilled to show you a cool thing in a game.

Edit: Also, for the record, I do like modern games. :lol: This past year has been all "retro" stuff, for who knows what reason. I mostly don't keep up with all the new junk cause I tend to be behind the curve in terms of PC hardware, consoles, etc. I still don't have a PS4 or XBone (or a switch for that matter). Also, I hate paying $80 cad for every new title. For all the complaining about prices of old games, it's still cheaper to play old stuff and to stay a year or two behind what's new. I also find I get pretty quickly burnt out on indie games for some reason. I tend not to be a huge fan of a lot of the gameplay trends that find their way into those - every second indie game either being a metroidvania or souls-like in some way, or trying some completely out-there gameplay that doesn't hold up for very long. All that to say..... the classics are classic for a reason, IMO.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    BlackMastodon likes this.
  7. wankerness

Fair enough, that's accurate.

Dawg. If you don't have a PS4 or Xbone, you're not "two years behind," those things have been out for over 5 years! And on PS4, most games plummet in value to the 20 dollar range after a year and more like the 10 dollar range after another, unless they're the small handful of games that hold value (ie Grand Theft Auto). Like, probably the biggest, best AAA title of 2016 on PS4 was Horizon Zero Dawn, which is currently being sold for 13.50 with all the DLC. :p God of War from 2018 was just selling for 25. Not saying you NEED to buy a PS4, just saying at this point Xbox 360 almost counts as retro. Haha.

If you have a switch, then yeah, games will be 50-60 until probably the next nintendo system comes out. Zelda BOTW from the same time as HZD and the same production values/critical reaction is still 60 dollars!

I generally have no interest in indie games, especially this trend with roguelike everythings. There's nothing I dislike more than roguelikes as I want to progress and/or beat the game, not just have an infinite hamster wheel that resets your progress every time you die. I also really loathe platformers, ESPECIALLY ones that are all about frustration like super meat boy, and I'm also really not a fan of 8/16 bit graphics/sound. I know that's the only thing most indie developers can DO without a big team, I get it, it just personally doesn't appeal to me. Mostly, the indie games I've played and liked are very polished, stylish ones that are barely even "indie." Like, Transistor is absolutely great gameplaywise and has a really slick look/sound to it as well. Limbo was decent, nothing to write home about. I guess I'm really superficial.

I like some funny ones as they're allowed to get much, much more demented than most Western non-indie games, like I laughed my ass off at Jazz Punk (featuring some voice acting from JIM STERLING, coincidentally!!!) and have West of Loathing on the docket soon. People have been telling me to play Undertale for a long, long time now, but I can't work up the interest. Maybe someday!

I've played a couple walking simulators and light puzzle games that were OK and I appreciated the creativity of, I like Metroidvania games based purely on the Castlevania games from SOTN through the GBA/DS games (haven't played one since), and I own a couple more indie games that will be on the docket at some point like Hollow Knight and Celeste. Just...yeah. I mostly don't care. I'm a corporate whore.

8. Ralyks

Oh man, Jazzpunk is an underrated gem (and an easy Platinum to boot).

9. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Yeah, you can't look at something where there's people getting paid to play this and go "I bet I can get good without practicing" because it's not going to happen. Take time, jump in Quick Play, act like it matters (because it also does as an overall multiplayer rank) and learn how to play the damn game. Work as a team, learn your hero and their moves, the best way to play them, map routes, everything; but don't say you're sorry for dragging us down and then laugh it off because it's true, and now I have to work to get grind my ass back to where I was, and especially don't ask if I want to play another round :rmad:

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Lol I mean two years for PC releases. Console-wise... I'm like a decade behind, at least. I'm trying to think of the last game that I played in the same year it came out.....
    Minit? It was a decent game, lol.
    Youka-Laylee I think I was a year behind.
    Doom 2016 I definitely played in 2016.
    Most stuff like the newer Tomb Raiders I'll end up playing a year or two after they've been out, and have had time to be patched up and put in holiday sales. :lol:

11. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Downloaded steep as the free psn game.

Played for about half hour and it seems a good time waster cruising the mountain finding stuff to do.

12. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

Finished Halo 4. It's been a while since I've played a Halo game, but 4 seems like 343 tied too hard too early. The whole morality of the Spartan-II program they teased at the start of the game was interesting, but then wasn't even mentioned in the rest of the game. And some of the Cortana rampancy stuff got really cringe-worthy. The Promethean's are an interesting addition to the series although the insistence of autolock in the Halo games making fighting them (especially the Crawlers) a pain in the ass.

13. Ralyks

Steep is a good time. Although it just makes me wish a new SSX would come out. Or port the original to PS4. I'm cool with either.

14. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Halo 4 is what made me check out of the series. I loved 3 and Reach is probably one of my favourite FPS games and easily my favourite in the series but 4 was such a disappointment. Lame story that was slapped together and seemed to have no coherence, shit multiplayer that tried so damn hard to be CoD, bleh. It's one of the only games I've ever traded in but a week after beating it I had no desire to ever start it up again.

15. wankerness

Oh, yeah, that's modern. If your computer ran Doom 2016 fine you should be able to play nearly anything current just fine if you leave it on 1080P and don't try to turn on pointless bells and whistles.

Tomb Raider 1 and 2 have been sub-10 dollars recently, they might even be right now! I REALLY like both of those. The story/characters are trash but the gameplay is a really good version of the stuff it blatantly rips off (ex, Uncharted). I had more fun with them than Uncharted from a gameplay POV, even if the stories/characters in Uncharted are actually worth paying attention to :D The tombs are much better-designed than the ones in Uncharted, and the combat gameplay has a lot more variety than just "shoot everyone with similar variants on guns all the time or occasionally do some crappy stealth before you set off the alert, then shoot everyone." I mean, you're still shooting everyone, but the weapons have a lot more variety in feel and the stealth sniping emphasis is fun.

Tomb Raider 3 has only gotten down to like 30 so far, but it came out less than a year ago. It has much less of an emphasis on shooting/stealthing and much more on exploration so I'll probably like it less, thus I'm waiting for the inevitable ~$15. The bow and arrow is SO satisfying in the two preceding games.

Steam's price slashing is probably even more ruthless than PS4's. I haven't bought one single thing off Steam in 3 years now, I broke the cycle (and moved it to PS4). At some point I realized I hated playing on my computer due to the whole physical process of doing so (having to sit in a non-relaxed position, mouse killing my wrist, having to be really close to the monitor, etc).

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

Steep was almost the perfect SSX game not made by EA, they just needed to push the insanity more, like amped 3 (which is the best snowboarding game since ssx3 imo).

17. Ralyks

Steep tries more for realism. SSX is Mario Kart meets 1080 Snowboarding. Or Snowboard Kids meets 1080 Snowboarding.

Side note, am I the only one that thought Snowboard Kids 2 was a damn fun game back in the day?... or play it at all?

18. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

:scratch: Wasn't Uncharted just a shiny rip off of Tomb Raider?

19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

not really. both are big homages to indiana jones and old school adventure novels but they approach it differently. uncharted always leaned heavily into the big setpiece schtick and a lot of action while tomb raider was usually more puzzle/exploration focused comparatively

20. wankerness

I dunno, I only really played TR 3 back in the day and it was frustrating and wooden enough that I only played a couple hours. The CONCEPT of Uncharted is. But, with the games, the tomb raider reboots are absolutely direct rip-offs, from the dialogue/characters/look all the way down to the silly cinematic "your character falls down something and you climb back up it as it falls using the controls that make all the jumps practically automatic" sections. Or the "you flee towards the camera while stuff falls down around you," though that might be a Crash Bandicoot ripoff now that I think about it :D