What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Just finished Yakuza 0. What a ride. Debating if I like 0 or 6 more, but goddamn 0 was great. Taking a break before jumping into Kiwami.

And that break is Tetris Effect, which I grabbed today.

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I got my kids an NES classic for Christmas: so yeah I was up late beating Super Mario 1 for the first time since the early 90’s :lol: still remember the warp spots and everything!

Also was (not so fun) getting my ass kicked against Soda Popinski from Punchout just like I remember growing up.

Now I’m not sure if I got it for them or me :lol:

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Nice. My predicable bias will tell you to ditch Odyssey and jump straight to Lost Paradise. I've got a weird relationship with AC. Got bored with the first, skipped right to 4, enjoyed that a bit then stopped caring about everything afterwards.

Yakuza 3-5 are definitely getting re-releases. Though just HD remakes as opposed to being rebuilt with new engines like the Kiwami games. 4 getting the most significant change with 1 main character's actor being re-casted. No idea when they're being released outside Japan though.

While I thoroughly enjoyed 6, I still thought 0 was the more fulfilling gaming experience. That's not to say 6 had it's fair share of content (it's a Yakuza game, there's always plenty) but felt strangely lacking compared to previous installments. This of course was deliberate to make 6 a more grounded and personal affair, which does well.

Speaking of 6, I just found out that the more you play the Live Chat mini game, you get to unlock the full softcore vids for the 2 ladies a la 0's video store. So that's where Sega hid them this time around. :lol:

4. Ralyks

As this point, I feel Yakuza has finally caught on enough in the West that I feel confident the 3 - 5 remasters will come over here. Honestly, it feels like they should just be sold on a bundle. Also, aren't they already out in Japan?

And with some time to reflect, yeah, 0 definitely felt more dense and full. I think I finished 6 is 21 hours. 0 I put 33 in while doing minimal side stuff, and apparently only did 15.51% of the game :lol: Although I'm pretty sure in general 0 is longer than 6, I think 0 was 17 chapters and 6 was 14?
    And yeah, now I'm regretting finishing 6 first. The transition from 0 to Kiwami story wise feels so much smoother and I don't feel lost.

5. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I know 3 HD is already out in Japan, with 4 following suit next month. Sega did say that the HDs are meant for newcomers so a Western release is inevitable. Whether they sell it as a bundle or separately is another story.

I think part of what makes 0 feel longer is having a second playable character, despite having roughly the same amount of chapters. The script and pacing become longer when there's more people involved. I certainly felt that when playing 5, and that's with going through the mammoth content.

6. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

Finished Arkham knight and started the witcher 3.
    Lots of stuff to do and it's gonna take a while.
    Meanwhile I'm also very tempted on buying Nioh. I'm not the biggest fan of souls-like games due to their difficulty but nioh seems more "human" and I love the atmosphere.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've been playing Samus Returns over the last few days, simply because the 2ds is easy to take to family things and play for a bit when nothing is happening. Reviews had said it wasn't great for a Metroid game in the context of the series, but that seems to be a strength to me - I haven't really played any other Metroid games so this has been a good intro. Classic enough to give me enough of an idea what those games were about, but modern enough that I don't feel like I'm playing something from back when game design wasn't quite figured out yet. I can't tell you if it's good relative to other Metroid games, but it's good if you don't know the rest of the series to put it in context. :lol:

8. Ralyks

Tetris Effect is serenity. It is happiness. And it's also a dash of "Oh, right, Tetris can be a motherfucker sometimes." But good Lord is this game beautiful, and such amazing sound design, and I can't think of anyone I wouldn't recommend this to outside of the few people who don't like Tetris (c'mon, how could you not like Tetris even a little?!)

9. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

I went back to playing Far Cry 4 on my PS4 the past days. Awesome game, I used to play it a lot when I first got my PS4 (about 2 years ago) and then haven't played it much since....

10. ThtOthrPrsn

ThtOthrPrsn Unconventional

Seeing all the glowing opinions of it, I picked up Yakuza 0 since it was on sale on Steam, excited to give it a try!

Ralyks likes this.
  11. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Make sure you give it some time, I think I was about 3 hours in before it clicked. The side missions in the open world are where it’s real character starts coming out. The combat also gets better the further into the game you get. I also found kiryu really boring in that game, it wasn’t till the next game that I liked him, but Majima is awesome.

I finished Dragon Age XI. The final final boss had some gimmick where you can massively weaken him that I didn’t notice for the first few attempts, so I was confused why I kept dying. It pays to pay attention to dialogue and item descriptions!! Great game overall, took me 90 hours, that was with 90% achievements and a fair amount of best gear though.

I started AC Odyssey and it’s shocking how much more I like this than Origins, which I lost interest in after a few hours. The controls just feel a lot better and I’m much more interested in the main character and the flashbacks aren’t a confusing mess.

The906 likes this.
  12. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

I'm 75% of the way through the War Stories for Battlefield 1.

I tried to play Battlefield: Hardline earlier, but the disc wouldn't read after installing ~48% of the game.

Still grinding my way through the scrap collecting in Mad Max.

13. Ralyks

Going through my playthrough of Yakuza Kiwami. This one is suppose to be fair short I'm comparison to the recent releases, correct?

Also, still adore Tetris Effect. This is sneaking into my top 10 list for 2018, for sure.

14. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Got a GS card for Xmas, used some of it to grab Spider-Man. DLing now, got 3 days off, should be a good time.

15. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I don't know if Kiwami is notably shorter. I THINK I put about 30 hours into 0, 1 and 6 and I tried doing most of the sidequest stuff that didn't seem miserable (ex, Mahjong).

16. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Downloaded QUBE 2 off XBL since its one of this months free games, and damn if it isnt a nice little breathed; I'm usually hot garbage when it comes to puzzle games, but something about this one is different, my brain can actually break it down and digest the type of puzzle they're setting up. Maybe it's because its not a "you can die during this puzzle" type game, but its great.

Kind of like Journey, where you play it once or twice as an experience and then its served its purpose.

17. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Well. I can only really say that The Witcher 3 is stunning. What a world- so beautifully realised. The weather and lighting are amazing. The ground even looks wet when it rains.

A good few hours in so far- only level 7 and a lot to learn but loving it (even the sweary moments- the big battles!). It does seem damn hard to get all the ingredients to get a good set of potions and bombs etc ready and at the moment cash is very hard to come by, but I'm sure that'll get easier...

ImNotAhab, Ordacleaphobia and lurè like this.
  18. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Speaking of currency in video games, does anyone else ever find that they almost never need it or use it? I can't remember the last game where I was strapped for cash and it was a problem. Any Zelda games I've played, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect all of these I could find materials or potions or armour/weapons in the world and rarely ever need to buy anything. Unless it's a strategy game I always end the games I mentioned above with an absurd amount of money that I almost never need, maybe the occasional potion or upgrade that you can't find or make yourself. I feel like there's just no urgency to having money and spending it in a lot of these games.

Not sure why but I've been thinking about this recently and thedonal's post reminded me of it.

Ordacleaphobia and Demiurge like this.
  19. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

^I'm always stingy with resources that usually cost money like ammo, life-potions, etc. so by the end of the game I'm usually flush with supplies and more money than I'll ever need...

Except for Castlevania Order of Ecclesia. Maybe I was just really bad at this one, but life-potions were expensive as hell and, perhaps underpowered throughout, I would get knocked-around like a rag doll. After every area where I'd get my ass-kicked, I would need to grind for money to buy supplies before forging-ahead. It's really the only game in the series where I found myself grinding a lot.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

FF14. I found that there is a shiba-Inu minion. And since collecting pets/mounts is my endgame this is my new goal. I needed a calmer game to play alongside the new smash bros.