What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I remember going to PAX East the year they showed off the trailer for it, and I loved what they were doing and was totally onboard - and that same thing struck me when the trailer wrapped; and I even asked the lead Dev if he was totally out, and he seemed kind of like, "Yeah, it's a bummer, but it's _____ doing Sam's voice for this one" so you're not alone :lol:

synrgy likes this.
  2. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I remember feeling really sad hearing the news that Ironside was out, but, in-practice, it ended up being a total non-factor for me. I'm not a big cutscene guy in the first place, and you hear so little of Sam's voice during the levels, apart from grunts and the same two or three briefly whispered threats to the person(s) you've grabbed. Sure, there's some chatter between Sam and HQ or Sam and [Target] occasionally, but Sam's dialogue is mostly reactionary; it's the dialogue from the 'supporting cast' that drives everything. By necessity, really; minimizing Sam's voice maximizes the player's ability to feel like they are playing the role of Sam.

Anyway, I thought Johnson was fine, but there are rumors that Ubisoft have recently had Ironside back at the studio to work on a still-not-announced (SC?) title; presumably separate from his brief return-appearance as Sam in a cutscene from 2017's GR:Wildlands.

Damn. I'm so ready for a new SC game.. That's something I could get excited about.

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Took a slight diversion from the FF6 grinding to have a quick game of Third Strike. All the fighting game talk made me wanna scratch that itch. :lol: That and I'm waiting for inFamous and inFamous 2 to install.

Man I've completely rusted out on 3S. I need to brush up on parrying again because I'm pathetic right now. :lol: Doesn't help that I decided to ditch my Ken/Chun-Li main choices and go Ryu and his Denjin shenanigans. It's so embarrassingly horrible.

Mathemagician likes this.
  4. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Monster Hunter World PC announce for early next month. I'm ready for my armoured cat companion.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've had those nostalgic urges to go out and buy a bunch of the consoles and games I used to have when I was younger, and the value of some of this stuff blows my mind a bit. I saw a local ad asking for $800 for two N64 games (the 3d Zelda games) because they were unopened. NES consoles can't easily be found for under $100. Clearly, the value of these things is 100% nostalgia and other market forces because they aren't reaaaaaaaaaaaaally worth anything outside of that anymore (in my opinion at least).

The amount that people are willing to gouge/milk the market via random old games that have been sitting around collecting dust in peoples attics kind of turns me off to the whole retro game thing. There were local shops that sent people around to scoop up all the used games a while back so that they can supply their "retro game stores" and jack all the prices up. Used games ads locally are now mostly populated by "traders" and "collectors" and retro game shops, and things like that. Lots of people trying to bank on the retro thing. It makes me feel less bad about emulation and stuff like that.

6. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I have a ton of N64 games with box/manual in near mint condition and only a couple of them are even worth 100 bucks. That local seller is a complete moron unless they're the gold versions, in which case he's probably just hoping for a sucker. I think those two are more in the 200 range for sealed. :D

7. synrgy

Yeah. That stuff is always frustrating.

Not unlike somebody saying their plain-Jane Les Paul is worth gazillions because it was made in the 70's or whatever. (I'm not a Gibson collector so my example is probably ill-informed, but hopefully y'all get where I'm coming from.)

The collectors market aside, at least there was a good couple decades where the price for new games was down. I vivivdly remember paying $45 for the original Metroid when I bought it from Toys R Us in 1989, and $75 for Street Fighter 2 from that same Toys R Us in early 1993. Those were 25-30 years ago, yet the prices were on-par with today's averages, despite runaway inflation during the interim.

Win some, lose some, I guess. Yay, supply and demand.

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

That blows my mind. I understand the whole "value is what the market says it is" kind of thing, but to me..... an N64 game is worth maybe $10-15. Tops. I don't care how "quote-unquote-rare" it is. I mean.... get get it.... but.... I don't like it.

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

I'm super excited for another SC game too, I just hope they don't dumb it down as much as they did wildlands. Wildlands was worse than future soldier in terms of tactical depth imo (which was already dumbed down from the original ghost recons/rainbow sixes)

10. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

11. Gravy Train

Gravy Train SS.org Regular

Finished Resident Evil 7. Such an awesome experience! Time to really start putting time into Monster Hunter World.

12. wankerness

Collectors gon' collect. I have plenty that are "only" worth 20-50 with the box/manual. So, you could look at it as the majority of them still being cheaper than they were new, 20 years ago, which with inflation is quite a bit cheaper.

I bought many of my games ~2002-2005, well after N64 was a dead system, and was paying sub-10 bucks for most of them. I guess everyone was having a clearance sale on their old systems at that point.

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

On some level I think the official NES/SNES mini consoles have boosted the visibility (and therefor the price) of retro stuff as well. I mean that in the sense that a lot of people who had those consoles, but aren't otherwise "gamers" suddenly had retro games on their mind. Those mini consoles did a great job of selling to people outside of the typical "gamer" demographic - my sister, who I don't think has played a video game in a decade, was excited to get her hands on one, and my parents know that it's a thing that exists. Don't ask any of them what an XBox One is though. Go back 10 years and I don't think anyone thought an NES was worth anything at all -> I could have probably grabbed one from a thrift store for pennies. The one we used to have, that lived in my parents basement for the longest time, I think it was just given away, because nobody cared at that point.

14. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

grabbed inside on the switch .didn't play it when it originally came out even though I was a fan of Limbo back when it came out

its a cool game/piece of art. about half way through I think . puzzles have all been pretty easy so far but its all really well done. I dig its vibe

15. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Started playing Pokemon Go again because of my coworkers. Decent surrogate since I don't have any other way to game at the moment. Plus there have been many positive changes since I stopped playing a year and a half ago, and trading was just brought in.

16. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

reading some reviews of octopath traveller . I may have to pick this up. sounds like a good on the train game .haven't played a JRPG for a long time .maybe not since FF7 on the ps1 came out

17. wankerness

Nah, the collectors were out in droves for the NES and SNES over ten years ago, I remembered being annoyed that SNES games cost SO much more than N64 when I was trying to get a hold of the games I wanted to own. Maybe you're just older than you realize and you're thinking back more like 20 years though :D But yeah, the regular NES console was a pile of garbage so it was hard to find working ones and the toploading ones were what everyone wanted and thus what cost a gigantic amount, so maybe it was worth tossing original consoles.

Some NES games were (and probably still are) worthless just by virtue of having had gigantic amounts printed and the game also being totally uninteresting. But, plenty of decent ones were kind of expensive. I have a good friend that just sold off a few hundred NES games in chunks and a bunch of them were definitely worth some money. SNES games are on average far more valuable. (Because NES sux lol)

18. synrgy

Yeah. I remember for a very brief moment considering re-building my SNES collection, around 2001-ish. Then I saw the price-tag on a store's not-so-gently-used copy of Link To The Past, and gave the idea up immediately.

19. wankerness

Really? I thought that was one of the few SNES classics that is cheap, like Super Mario World, just due to ubiquity.

The one game I was always sort of interested in that I never even considered buying was Earthbound. I think that was already like 70 bucks way back in 2005, and it's even worse now. I think the most expensive game I bought then was FF3, and that was "only" ~35 bucks with no box/manual. I was slightly interested in Chrono Trigger as well, but never got it. At this point there are so many versions of it that there's no reason to go for the SNES one. I'll get the DS one if I ever feel a need to play it.

As far as I can tell, ebay is a complete crapshoot these days, since it seems like MOST cartridges out there are copies. Any copy advertised without being specified as "ORIGINAL CARTRIDGE" seems to be best assumed to be a bootleg. It's ridiculous. The ones advertised as original are thus more expensive than they should be, just cause people are willing to pay quite a bit extra to be sure. I wonder when this trend started? I would think ebay should be banning anyone who sells these things, but it's clearly lawless now. I have no idea when this trend started, since I went over ten years between looking at SNES games on there. :p

ANYWAY, I'm now playing Yakuza Kiwami. It's disappointing how much smaller in scale it is than 0, but hey, it wasn't pretending to be. One huge improvement, though, is that I like the Kiryu character vastly more than I did in 0. Maybe it's just the context and the fact that I'm not switching back and forth with a more interesting hero, but I really like the "dad" Kiryu compared to "boring tough guy" Kiryu. The story is a disjointed mess sometimes (especially that bizarre first act jumping back and forth between about 10 times in an hour), but I am quite invested in it, especially after playing 0. Reina is the best. Nishikiyama's arc so far seems like it would have had no impact without playing 0, so I wonder what people who played this game originally thought!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  20. synrgy

I mean, it was 2001, and I've done a lot of living since then, so I can't recall a specific price-point or anything; only having the impression that they wanted a lot more than I was willing to pay for any very-used 16-bit cartridge. Granted, we're generally on a scale of tens rather than hundreds of dollars, but I was young and newly on my own, so money was perpetually tight. I guess I just felt - at the time - that the things ought not be worth more than $5-10 tops, especially since it had only been a few years prior that I had sold off most of my original collection for a little less than that on the average.

I think that's the part that stings me: Making a calculated guess that something I own won't retain enough value to bother keeping, and then finding out - only a few years later - that I was so, so wrong. My threshold is never long enough. Around year two or three of not using something, I can't stand to look at it any more; it has to GO.