What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I finally finished Mass Effect Andromeda. It's much longer than I expected. And the ending..... I liked it. I really don't think it's a bad game in the way people tore it apart at launch. Definitely going to move on to some smaller games now- stuff that doesn't take as much of an investment. Maybe read some books instead or something haha.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

And no shame here :lol: Few games stick with me after they’re over like Persona 5 has, and, except maybe FFVII, I can’t think of many other games that I’ve sunk 100+ hours into a story and wanted to jump back in.

This, and I’m still fairly early on in Persona 4 Golden :(

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

And just like that, I restarted Star Ocean The Last Hope. :lol:

It's been a while since I've touched this game and I forgot that the SO combat engines require a helicopter license to get the hang of. So I sat through the freaking tutorial and went grindilicious the second I started exploring.

4. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I’m pretty sure I spent an hour on that tutorial and STILL trying to get it...

5. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

Been blasting through Bravely Second on the 3DS. I played the first one, enjoyed it but disliked the repetition in the story. I forgot how streamlined this game is. It's optimised for fast grinding and leveling up, which is nice if you hate the slog of JRPG. The story and characters are pretty bad unfortunately.

StevenC likes this.
  6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

ok done with zelda now.

have done all the memories and re finished it to see the ending

got to admit I looked online for the last few memories as i was getting over it .did most of them myself though

will grab Mario odyssey this week . still going on Celeste but my play time on that is often short bursts , cause I end up swearing out loud on the train to myself

7. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I'm a perennial single-player gamer. Always have been, thought I always would be. Recently, however, I've been forced to realize how super duper lonely I am, so I though I'd give an MMO a try and maybe get some "socialization" that way. When it came down to choosing which one to try first, I figured I'd go with an IP I'm already interested in and would thus be better at holding my attention. Considering the only other thread in this subforum anyone has likely ever seen me post in was the Skyrim megathread, it should come as no surprise that I've started playing ESO.

8. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

A newly discovered downside to living in Korea: All those 4AM Eastern Standard Time server maintenance downtimes. Fine for people in the US who would probably be in bed anyway, but that's 6PM for me. Shutting things down for two to four hours at least once a week at 6PM is... annoying, to put it mildly. Not a great introduction to the MMO experience.

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Played through Witcher 3 with the two expansions. I started it a while back and lost interest after about 2 hours, but when I went back to it, I got into it after a couple more hours, and REALLY, REALLY into it for another 50 or so hours. The main plot of that game is kind of haphazard for a while, but the last act is incredible and is right up there with The Last of Us for impact. I loved it utterly. The first expansion is fun and the second expansion is even better. It felt like the spiritual successor to Mass Effect 2/3 just with how damn good the characters were. I almost want to replay the whole damn thing just to go with Yennifer and see what happens! If only I enjoyed the combat more.

Also, I just finished FFXV. What a complete and utter disaster of a game. The first whole chunk was fun enough, even though it's mostly talking to some idiot, having them tell you to get them a potato, driving on the road for five minutes, picking up said potato, giving it back to them, and IMMEDIATELY being told NOW I NEED SOME CARROTS. It's almost a parody of fetch quests they're so bad. Witcher 3 has some fetch quest mechanics at its core sometimes, but it always covers them up and has incredible writing/voice acting that makes you not care.

BUT, despite the open world having horrible quests and the characters being thinly drawn morons and the voice acting and writing being sketchy at best, I had fun for a while. But then, I started playing farther into the main quest. And holy shit, the point from where you meet with the horribly voiced president of Venice to the end is one of the biggest disasters of a game I've ever experienced. It just keeps getting worse and more incoherent as it goes, and that's REALLY saying something. Characters are barely introduced and their motivations are never clear, the events are haphazard, and the crowning achievement is when the game then dumps you down a hole without your party or any of your gear and it turns into the most tedious survival-horror RPG imaginable for what feels like an eternity (only a couple hours). The production values are high, but it seems like they took some decent open world RPG and then grafted on a bunch of stereotypical Final Fantasy crap that was still in the process of being written and called it one game, even though it seems like two.

I just kept thinking I HATE THIS GAME for hours at the end. But after investing 30+ hours in the first chunk, I had to finish it!! The battle system is entertaining if really faceroll, at least. BUT, I would easily rate the heavily maligned FFXIII higher than it. At least there I liked most of the characters and it seemed like the (semi-incoherent) plot had all been written out beforehand and the game isn't schizophrenic. And the battle system was a lot more complex than "hold down square to dodge, press triangle to teleport stab, and press O to stab." Ah well. Here's hoping the next one isn't some blatant attempt to market itself to weird nerds with its rock-band looking quartet of dudes and no female characters other than hooty mcboob who leans over your windshield, Lunafreya whose function is to squint longingly into the camera for the fifteen minutes she's in the game, and the one entertaining one basically working like Gilgamesh in FFVIII (showing up randomly during battles, usually whenever you don't need her to).

I got the gold version or whatever, so I have the DLC. From what I'm reading, only the Ignis one is worth playing, but I might need a breather first!

10. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

DOOM. The 2016 one on ps4, finally beat the campaign... on easy mode cos i'm bad now. I swear i beat Halo on legendary back in the day!

But yeah Mayo 9 strings came through for the soundtrack no doubt!

11. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I replayed the Master Chief collection after Christmas, Halo 1 on Legendary is criminally easy, like, it's today's Normal mode. I get why, since it's one of the earliest FPS for the modern era (it was 2001) but the fact that they didn't update it at all to be harder is disappointing; only thing that's really difficult is when you get paired against Hunters, those have been the only thing that kills me.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've been playing World to the West lately. It's a nice simple light indie-ish adventure-type dealie that doesn't require the kind of deep investment you get with a bigger game, or a bigger world, or games with ALL THE FEATURES and CRAFTING SYSTEMS and LORE FOR DECADES. It's a nice break after a Mass Effect game. I've got a pile of smaller/indie games I want to try before diving into anything big again.

13. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

For the 9 Strings he was using a schecter, the rest was his Mayo Regius 8 in Drop EA and some Drop A on his EBMM IIRC

14. wankerness

That was a fun game for a while, eventually I got sick of it and kind of forced myself to the end. I really hated all the jump sections. Maybe just cause they stressed me out. I had enough of that with Turok 1 back in the day :D

15. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

grabbed Mario odyssey .its pretty out there thats for sure

its good for sure . not sure I love it yet. need to get a bit deeper into it

16. wankerness

Nier Automata. It's on sale for 30 bucks on the PS4 store, so anyone that doesn't have it needs it NOW. It's primarily an action RPG, but also has ship shooter sections (both sidescrolling and top-down) and incorporates that into the action RPG sections sometimes with enemies spitting tons of bullets at you that you have to weave around. It's also got one of the weirdest stories I've ever seen that is actually GOOD, even though for some reason they chose to bury the back 2/3 of it by having them magically happen when you do second and third "playthroughs." The "third playthrough" was one of the most satisfying and exciting videogame experiences I've ever had. It's too bad that probably many who play it just hit the first credits and think it's over.

It's a really damn good game and has easily one of the best videogame soundtracks ever. It's primarily vocal-driven but is all over the map with mournful vocals over pounding Hans Zimmer-style stuff, other tracks that are more like something Phillip Glass would have written, and some big scary choir stuff, along with frenzied electronic music like you'd expect in this kind of thing. Oh, and 8-bit renditions of most of the music for reasons that become clear in the second playthrough.

WHAT A GREAT GAME!! I think it missed out on a lot of hype cause the reviewers assigned to it stopped at the first credits and reviewed it thinking that was the whole game!!

17. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Now that I've moved house I've started playing Skyrim again on my PC. My new study has enough space for a massive TV and a console, although I'm debating on what console(s) to buy. Leaning towards PS4 or Switch.

18. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Flying transatlantic today, let's see how far I can get through Bayonetta.

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I started playing World to the West a while back and tried to finish it, but I find it's just lacking a hook. Like whenever I'm playing it, I'm thinking "I could be doing something else right now". It's not a bad game, but it lacked something to make me want to come back to it. I recently picked up FF VIII in a steam sale for stupid cheap, so I'm thinking of starting a playthrough of that. I've also got Skyrim I've been meaning to give a shot again, despite it not really being my kind of game.

20. wankerness

On what system? If you have a switch, you should get 2. 1's good, but 2's a big jump up.

Mathemagician likes this.