What free IRs are you still using?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vejichan, Nov 2, 2017.

1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

mine is still spreshigh and spres8

2. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Ownhammer Engl Pro 412, Mesa Recto OS/Standard, mainly those. Ownhammer makes everything to sound more natural and balanced. Many IR's have problems with being too boomy in the low end and way too fizzy in certain frequencies, but OH doesn't. Heavy Hitters Vol. II is also on my list to test out. I wonder how OH's Mesa Traditional Straight compares to OS/Standard?

"Still"? From older free one's God's Cab 1.4 is quite decent pack.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  3. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

Are you an Amplitube user by chance? I'm wondering if anyone has experience using Ownhammer on top of AmpliTube. I have been using the Amplitube Boogie cabs mostly. Pretty ok with them, but would be interested in trying others if it improves the tone.

Also, Amplitube allows a rack FX chain post-cabinet. If I used a 3rd party cab like Ownhammer, I assume my Amplitube chain would end at the preamp and I would use other 3rd party plugins for delay, EQ, etc?

You may not have direct experience with this, anyone's opinion is welcome obviously.

4. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

I do this quite often. I really like the mesa amp in Amplitube, and while the cabs are actually OK sounding, I tend to revert back to Ownhammer almost always.

This mix is Amplitube Mesa with the OH Mesa angled cab if my memory serves me correctly:
    https://soundcloud.com/schwizbeats/after-the-burial-lost-in-the-static-jes-schwartz-mix

I believe that you can still use the rack FX, but they will be pre IR if you are bypassing Amplitube's cab simulation. Personally, I would just use plugins for this after the IR loader, as I don't like to do any processing in between the amp and cab in the chain.

5. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

These are some great Mesa tones. Thanks for sharing!

I'll probably download some of the OHs soon (was thinking about the Heavy Hitters Bundle) and give it a shot. I have a million other FX, so really don't need the Amplitube rack for verb/delay/etc...

6. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

No, I'm not, but you got pretty badass example from that by @schwiz Though they seem to work quite well with every software you put them.

7. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

I definitely recommend the Heavy Hitters collection. They might even have volume 1 on sale now that volume 2 is out. I will admit though, the OwnHammer stuff is a bit overwhelming at first. You get A LOT of samples, and they are organized in such a way that could be overwhelming to someone just downloading them. A tip to get started is to use the samples that coorelates with your project's sample rate, then use the "Quick Start" IR's. From there, swap others in and out. That's been the best starting point for me anyway. Really excited for you to try these out though. Let us know how you like them!

8. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Julep IR from the Telos Mini Free IR Pack (main impulse, love it), spreshigh, Sperimental pack, the free cabs that FrankTheSmith has given out, and this free bass pack I've found with an Ampeg VL-1002, Ampeg SVT-810e, and an Eden 4x10XLT

9. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

The redwirez g12m set are great

10. zarg

zarg guitar and computer nerd

I use the Amplitube 4 Mark IV with ownhammers free mesa 4x12 IRs and it sounds pretty good, I don't use any rack effects in amplitube as I use third party plugins for anything else I need

11. justinjcm900

justinjcm900 SS.org Regular

I know this thread is about free IRs but I've seen Ownhammer mentioned a few times here and I must say that Heavy Hitters vol II is seriously worth it! I highly recommend checking it out!

12. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

The OwnHammer free Mesa 4x12 v30 (Oversized) is pretty good for sure, and I used it for quite awhile; but then I found Redwirez' free IR pack Marshall 4x12 Greenbacks which is my favorite IR to date, I use it on all of my guitars tuned E standard through Drop C#. (I usually go with the SM57 mic with the 0-inch Cone placement).

http://www.redwirez.com/free1960g12m25s.jsp?ref=home

When tuning lower than Drop C# I use some of the paid OwnHammer IR's: Orange 2x12 or Bogner 2x12 with v30 speakers.