What flaws are acceptable in a new guitar (Schecter KM7 mkii)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by sketchyluke182, Dec 28, 2017.

1. sketchyluke182

sketchyluke182 SS.org Regular

(TLDR: are any of these issues normal for a new guitar of this price range? Full fret level needed, small chip in the fretboard binding, bookmatched top not lined up/one half faded)

I bought a Schecter KM7 mkii from Andertons online back in June but unfortunately had an accident and got admitted to hospital for a few days when it arrived. This means that I missed the 48 hour returns policy period to flag any issues.

When I got home, I instantly noticed that one half of the wood used for the top was really faded compared to the other and the two bits didn't line up. There was also a very small chip to the binding at the base of the fretboard. I still couldn't walk at the time and quite honestly did not have the energy to fight to get a return. Oh well, I thought, at least it sounds good.

Fast forward to now and after barely playing it since, I took it to have its first set up by an experienced guitar tech. I was shocked to find it needed a full fret level after watching the fret rocker wobble all up and down the neck!

Now I know all guitars need a bit of love when you first get them, and I know I can't do much about it now but I feel like I've bought a bit of stinker here. Do you guys agree?

My camera wouldn't focus properly to do it justice but here are some photos.

[​IMG]

And here's the chip. It is small but you can see how it's left the fretboard poking out above the binding on the left but nice and smooth on the right.

[​IMG]

2. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

I'm sure the store you bought it from would understand and do an exchange for you.

fps and sezna like this.
  3. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

The top is just something that can happen with flamed maple, you never know until you ripsaw it. You see it on $5000 PRSes sometimes.

setsuna7, AxeHappy and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  4. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

...a 48 hour return policy?

Smoked Porter, Bigfan, Masoo2 and 2 others like this.
  5. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

The top and the binding seem normal to me, even on fairly expensive guitars.

It’s terribly unusual for an import to have some uneven frets, but I’d be upset if it were several frets. But even if one fret is off and you want it perfect with a level, I guess one versus several doesn’t matter because they all get leveled.

6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I agree with the other posts thus far regarding the chip and the bookmatch. The bookmatch is normal and can be seen on guitars at near any price range, and the chip is unfortunate but not really an issue overall. The only thing I'd take issue with is the need for a full re-fret. I would contact Andertons and tell them your new guitar had these issues, but stress the frets, as this should not be the case with a guitar in this price range.

7. sketchyluke182

sketchyluke182 SS.org Regular

I figured as much. The top and chip don't affect how it plays so don't bother me much. The frets annoyed the hell out of me though!

I actually got them levelled in the end so wouldn't be able to exchange it even if I was able to. Just looking for opinions so I know where I stand in future. Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Every guitar I buy that’s not a custom specced guitar goes in for a full setup and fret level. I always add that into the price of the guitar. Sometimes you get lucky. I don’t count on it tho.

AxeHappy likes this.
  9. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

Guess i got lucky, my km7 mk2 came with level frets.
    The ibanez rgdix7mpb i recieved prior had unlevel frets and a few other issues and was returned.

10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The fretboard would have been the only issue that would have made me send it back. The other are minor cosmetic things that are not unusual for this price point.

11. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

I would have returned it, it's not a cheap guitar by any means. And the 48 h return is ridiculous, should at least be 2 weeks.

12. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Are you sure about that return policy, andertons is 14 days, and they come with a 12 month warranty.

If you'd gone to them and said it wasn't set up properly there's a chance they may have actually set it up for free, they set up all guitars before they leave.

13. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Anderton's is located in the European Union and must take anything back within 14 days.

14. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Good to hear, they seem pretty legit so it seemed a bit weird with only 48h return time.

15. oversteve

oversteve SS.org Regular

Are you sure it's not due to guitar needing truss rod adjustment? It's the same thing that happens when you have a back bow or front bow while the frets might be ok.

16. SavM

SavM SS.org Regular

I've never had a new guitar with perfectly level frets, but still I've always been able to get a decent action... If it's all over the place I'd take it back as that would be hella annoying.
    It would have been interesting to hear what Andertons would have said

17. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

It literally says on their site 14 day return policy.

Also EU law - "Under EU rules, a trader must repair, replace, reduce the price or give you a refund if goods you bought turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised.

you also have the right to cancel and return your order within 14 days, for any reason and with no justification."

Andertons also have multiple awards for customer service.

Hate to say it SketchyLuke but it just sounds like you just didn't know the returns policy. The top isn't a flaw, it's just maple I wouldn't have a problem with it. The chip yes, I can see why it would be a problem (though I can't see it in the pic) Last guitar I bought with a chip, I returned for a new one pretty easily, unless you go to a Sh*tty dealer chances are they'll be happy to exchange it.

18. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

That top is terrible - I'd reject any guitar that turned up looking like that. You can call it "normal" if you like but it looks awful.

I also disagree with the statement that all new guitars require some attention when you get them - depends what you buy and who you buy from. I've bought plenty of new guitars that have been perfect out of the box.

19. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

It’s not that rare: Most of the guitars in the Classifieds here were perfect out of the box. At least according to last month’s NGDs.

Millul and AxeHappy like this.