What does this symbol mean?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by JustMac, Jan 27, 2017.

1. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

Hi there. I didn't really want to make a whole thread about this as it's obviously a one-post question/answer thing rather than a discussion.

Anyway, I'm working through the tab book for Protest the Hero's Volition, and found a weird rhythmic symbol in the last riff in the song "Animal Bones" that appears to be a flag (sixteenth note value I think) with no stem, I was wondering what it meant? Is it just because it precedes a triplet grouping, or maybe that it comes after a rest note? It's enclosed as a file and as part of the bar, thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

It's a singular sixteenth note. Stem is there, it's just really small. It's written that way because it immediately follows a sixteenth rest and the rest of the beat is used by the following triplet.

They wrote it that way because you basically want to complete each beat as evenly as possible and ideally, you'll be able to see both halves of the beat, unless you're playing across it in a triplet or something. The red boxes are each beat grouping and the thin red line is the "center" of the beat. The last beat is exempt from this rule because of the dotted eighth note that is held across the rest of the beat. Hopefully this makes sense.

Attached Files: