What do you think of metal bands with 2 singers?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by code_red, Apr 21, 2009.

1. code_red

code_red SS.org Regular

Not like a frontman and a guitarist that sings but 2 full blown frontmen?

Me and my bf finally got a band going and our singer that we have now if really good at singing and high screams, but has no lows what-so-ever. Our music really calls for it. We were thinking of trying to find another guy that has great lows and mids. If it's done right do you think it will work? We're suppose to talk about it today at practice. We haven't brought it up to our current singer yet. I would think it would make it more diverse or more complicated depending on how it's done.

So, opinions?

MerlinTKD and hufschmid like this.
  2. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

Well, Despised Icon, Into Eternity, Sikth, and Origin do it, and those are 4 of my fav bands. I say go for it, it adds a lot of layering and versatility to the sound. :yesway:

3. code_red

code_red SS.org Regular

Cool, thanks for the reply. The hard part is finding someone...lol.

4. a7stringkilla

a7stringkilla New Member

it all depends on what you guys like, not other people. i personally have never heard a band i liked with two vocalists. bands like that usually try to do waaaayyy too much. if your band calls for lows and mids, why dont you just get that style of vocalist and leave it at that. plus, you gotta worry about the two butting heads.

5. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I think it would definitely work. It would open up new doors for vocal harmonies and layering. There are plenty of bands that do it, just make sure both vocalists don't end up sounding the same like Fellsilent, I still like that band but from what I have read a lot of people don't like either of their vocalists.

6. code_red

code_red SS.org Regular

That's what I'm worried about. I don't want them to over complicate things or butt heads. We haven't talked to him yet either so he may not be into it at all so we'd have to say "see ya."

I do think if it's done right it would be awesome. But, like mentioned it could be too much... I'm mixed.

7. Mazzakazza

Mazzakazza SS.org Regular

I think SikTh!

8. Petef2007

Petef2007 SS.org Regular

Go for it i say, theres plenty of bands who have 2 vocalists, as well as plenty who experiment with more then 1 vocalist too. As a7stringkilla said though, be wary of overcomplicating things, or on the other side of the scale, dumbing them down to the extent where a second vocalist would be unnecessary.

9. a7stringkilla

a7stringkilla New Member

i think SHIT!!!! song was great till the chorus hit, or didnt. if you want your music to go from heavy as hell to smooth jazz and back then yeah, do that. i personally like songs that stay within themselves and keep the same mood. lets put it this way. if heavy shit pumps you up and your sparring or something while that song is on, you might get yourself knocked out when the chorus plays. see what im getting at.....sorta?

10. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

I like dual vocal melodies myself :)

11. darbdavys

darbdavys New Member

You're not cool enough for prog :rolleyes:

12. svart

svart Far Beyond Metal

even though I like Sikth, and really love mercenary, if you need two singers... you got two singers that are not good enough IMHO. a decent singer can do it all on his own...

13. skinhead

skinhead Manager / RHLC ©

That's called variation, and I doubt that a lot of the new users here in the forum can get it :noway:

This forum turned out on a breakdown metal/deathcorish discussion :noway::noway::noway:

Maybe you can get this: If you neg rep me, I'm going to rip your fucking face!

14. code_red

code_red SS.org Regular

True. That's the whole reason we are doing it. The singer we have now doesn't have the range we need. (metal) Vocalists are hard to come by here. I would be happy with 2 decent singers.

15. DaveCarter

DaveCarter Melowiddler

I love seeing metal bands with 2 vocalists, doeant really matter how heavy or melodic the band is, every time Ive seen a metal band with 2 frontmen it totally works.

16. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

I find the idea killer!

Switchback is currently recording their new album and they have 2 singers now!

Its going to be epic fucking brutal win! :hbang:

17. Mazzakazza

Mazzakazza SS.org Regular

I wouldn't call the chorus of that song 'smooth jazz' by any measure. It retains the attack of the rest of the song, highlighted by the blasts on down-tuned guitars, then plunges back into the mechanical sonic frenzy that is (was :() Sikth.

If you wanna trade blows, I couldn't listen to unvaried stuff for very long, after a few tracks I'd get bored, so pumping out a chorus which is very similar to the song would be boring.

18. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 <b><font color="deeppink"><3's Tsukasa</font></b>

try to keep personal comments like this to yourself or word it in such a way to not be insulting to other members :agreed:
    calm down man :lol: geez

The band I think pulls off 2 actual singers the best is Showbread, not really sure how that style would work in a metal band. Most bands I've seen do 2 vocals have a guy scream and a guy do cleans but it could be cool with a screamer and a growler...just make sure they know their place and don't think one is the main singer you know.

19. code_red

code_red SS.org Regular

Sweet.

We we're thinking about when we play live too. It doesn't hurt to have one more guy getting the crowd going.

I think we are definitely going to talk to him about it. If it's a yes, then we'll go for it. No, then we're replacing him. At least we're giving him a chance.

20. a7stringkilla

a7stringkilla New Member

is this cool enough for you?
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=42860351

ripping my face isnt as easy as you might think. so yeah, i neg repped you n ill be waiting i guess.