What do you beleive happens when you die?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Thrashmanzac, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

this subject has always been really interesting to me, i love hearing other peoples opinions on the subject.
    my veiws on it are not very optimistic.
    i beleive that when you die, you rot in the ground and become worm food. it may sound a tad rough, but i cant beleive that life is just one big test. i think when you die there is just nothing. although nothing is impossible to imagine.
    so please, discuss :)

2. TimSE

TimSE Contributor

u know when u sleep but dont have a dream
    pretty much that ;)

3. MrJack

MrJack Paha Arkkitehti

You cease to exist, not physically of course but mentally. The closest thing to an afterlife that I believe in is that you still live in people's memories of you.

4. Thrashmanzac

i always have dreams :lol:
    but yeah thats what im thinking, time would fly, but there would be no time, but you wouldnt know that.:scratch:

ah man!
    couldnt have put it better myself!
    as you can read

5. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Worm food.

Hence make the most of being alive and not worry about what happens after you die. I imagine that immortality in any form would be really fucking boring.

6. Thrashmanzac

^ yeah exatcly man, thats how i look at it. more motivation to live a good life

7. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

That's pretty much the way I've always thought of it.

Another comparison is that your brain is like a computer that will be completely erased and unusable if it is ever turned off. When you sleep, your brain is in "sleep mode" and still okay. But when you are not breathing, your heart isn't beating, and your blood isn't pumping, your computer is off, effectively erasing everything and making your hardware (body) useless.

Of course, this is something that can never be proven because once you're dead, you no longer exist, so you can't be like "Yeah, I was dead for a few days and there was this Satan dude." or "Yeah, I was dead for a year, but there really was nothing there."

8. Diogene303

Diogene303 SS.org Regular

Hi Guys,

Read though this and wanted to ask a different question, why is it then that when you die / or the people you loved die that ....some people don't bother with that persons grave .....the reason i ask is so many times i've visited my mother grave and i look around and see all these's people's grave in a mess ...or people just don't bother i find the whole thing very sad ......

Oh trust me guys memory's never fade !

9. MrJack

MrJack Paha Arkkitehti

In some cases it's cause they don't live in the area and can't go there often. We usually go to my grandparents graves around 4 times a year and my uncle and cousins go there too.

10. forelander

forelander you fail me

While true that it can't exactly be proven, people can certainly be dead for minutes and be revived. Someone I know has been clinically dead for a few minutes (not in an operation, after an electrical accident) but is currently doing just fine. I've never asked him if he 'saw' or 'remembered' anything but it's certainly interesting.

I'd be especially curious to know if the 'visions' people report are just dreams that happen in the instant they're revived (I dunno if anyone's been knocked out or choked out but mates have said they swore they were asleep for hours as they had 'long' dreams but were only out a few seconds) or if they do have memory of something that can't have been a dream.

11. thesimo

thesimo SS.org Regular

it goes black and you cease to exist, your body is dead and assuming its a siwft death your brain stays alive in a state of ecstacy before it dies too, you would be in shock so you wouldnt be in pain, quite a happy death really (assuming a swift decapitation or the like).

12. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

You cease to exist. your body gets cremated, end of story.

13. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

I believe that I don't know what happens! I personally find it difficult to believe without a doubt in either side without some kind of evidence. I'd like to think there's more to my existence than being an animated blob of carbon and water, but I'm not going to believe in something just because I want it to be true. I generally try to just live a good life as a good person without worrying too much about it. I'll find out when I get there.

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I don't feel I've got a grasp on what happens to you when you live yet - as such, I haven't bothered too much about what happens when you die. Obviously it'd be nice if there was some sort of afterlife, but worring about what happens to you when you die while you're in the middle of figuring out how to live sort of seems like a misplaced focus to me. :2c:

Nerina likes this.
  15. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

You die and get a definitive answer on who's right about the afterlife.

16. Zepp88

Zepp88 Arktanian Diplomat Contributor

I have no idea, and I won't speculate.

17. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

Wow, THE question.

People can say whatever they think, humans been looking for that answer forever (and forever will).
    Many people that have been clinically dead for a couple of minutes always talked about "seeing the light", "feeling relief, happiness, endless love...", etc.

I don't know. I think it's just your brain quickly "downloading", erasing everything as it is slowly turning off. That might be the feeling it gives while doing so. I don't think "seeing the light" really happens. Tough, i'd like some kind of event to happen...

I think that rooted deeeeeep down in our culture, we've always been brought to think there's an after life (ex.: the Bible / catholic religion, etc.) so there's a little left of that in our collective conscience. But these beliefs will slowly go away in the future.

I'd like to believe there is something after... It would be far more "romantic"...
    But my rational side says it's just like falling asleep : bye-bye.

18. Zepp88

Zepp88 Arktanian Diplomat Contributor

The "seeing the light" and the warmth and happiness thing might be a quick DMT trip, since that stuff is in our brains.

19. Thomas

Thomas Stranger

I am not religious, and I still have issues accepting that.

I am personally hoping for some kind of spiritual enlightenment in a realm that transcends the material world as we know it.

20. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

Well, there is a certain length of time before brain death. After that point, the person is dead and the person CANNOT come back because their brain cells have physically died and are no longer there. It's like formatting a computer drive and then expecting to get the data back. It's dead.

Before brain death, I don't consider the person dead, even if the heart has stopped and breathing has stopped.

That's how dreams work. You can have a "dream"/"hallucination" that seems to last for hours or days, but really only lasted for 1-2 seconds. The truth is that ALL dreams are only a few seconds long, no matter how long they seem to last. The reason for this is that they are inside your mind. Trauma can cause hallucinations. You cannot guarantee that it couldn't have been a dream. If that were true, then someone who believed they saw Jesus when they "died" and someone who believed they saw Allah when they "died" and someone who saw "Buddha" when they died would all be right. I subscribe to "hallucination" in such a case.