What do I eat post workout ? (and program questions)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Nyx Erebos, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Nyx Erebos

Nyx Erebos SS.org Regular

Like most people it's hard during the day to find time to workout so for me it's training time around 8 pm. When I finish I usually only eat an apple (and a cup of tea) because I'm tired and don't feel like eating anything heavy on the stomach. Am I messing with my body ? Should I get a real meal ?

About my program I plan to get back to running (when I'll finally get rid of this cold :mad:) but I was wondering what was best to achieve better sprint times and to lose some fat (knowing that I'm not fat, I'm at that limit where it's hard to lose weight without changing my eating habits). With the fact that I can only do 30 min sessions in mind, I'm considering fartlek or should I just stick with straight up running at regular "high" speed. Fartlek is better to improve my sprint times but maybe standart running is a better fat burner.

Finally I was wondering if abs exercises with torsion are any good ?

Thanks for the help :yesway:

2. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negativeā„¢

Depends on your goals. If you are weightlifting, I believe you want to gain lean muscle mass. There is a minimum ratio of carbs/protein you need to achieve per day, as well as total calories.

To gain mass, you need a calorie surplus. So you need to think about a meal plan. This part is boring, but after you spend the time analyzing it's all about executing. Basically search about good sources of carbs and protein. Search about complex and simple carbs and when to eat them.

If your goal is to get lean (burn fat), you need a calorie deficit. Basically cut down on calories. Cardio helps with the deficit but it's optional, theoretically. Obviously everyone should do cardio, because it improves your overall health. But is not mandatory for weight/fat loss.

From what I gathered, it's difficult to do both (cut fat and gain lean muscle mass). So it's better to choose one option and stay with it (close your mouth and run your ass off, or eat like an african refugee and lift dem weightz).

But anyways, after a hard weightlifting session, I would recomend more than an apple. You need to replenish that energy and feed those muscles. Carbs for energy and protein for the muscles. Stay away from fatty foods, for obvious reasons. Also, search about the glicemic index. It helps you understand about the simple and complex carbs.

3. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

Well, no, you should exercise also, because it gets the body to metabolize the calories you consume healthily. (I'm speaking from the perspective of the uphill struggle -- I'm overweight, and I really need to get back into exercising, because just cutting back on calories isn't sufficient for someone like me.)

4. Nyx Erebos

I'm not particularly trying to gain mass, I just want to keep my current muscle build and burn down a bit of fat so I can move easily (I might take up a sport soon).

About my post workout meal it's going to be hard to change my habits :( but I'll try.

Any advice on the fartlek vs regular running ?

5. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

I was taught to mix it up. So both, not on the same day. Mostly running, but once or twice a week do the fartlek thing. Me, personally, I loved hills.

6. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Protien shake light in calories, that's all you need.
    The mix of light carbs and protien is really good if it's a hard workout, if it's a light workout then chocolate milk is fine.
    Light is minimal sweat no exhaustion, hard is the opposite but also factor in time.

If you eat well all day then have a decent snack an hour before you won't need much after.

7. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Don't skimp on the post-workout meal. If you want to be a horse (a muscular dude) you need to eat like a horse after lifting.
    Consuming about 1/3 of your daily calories in the couple hours after a workout is good.

8. ryanougrad

ryanougrad SS.org Regular

Since late at night, I would have whey protein shake and some eggs. Egg protein will break down over the course of the evening/sleep. Get all your carbs in early in the day.

9. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Whey protein shake with water immediately after, and then maybe a casein or whey/casein protein shake with water right before bed.

10. Nyx Erebos

Hmmm sounds like a study ordered by mc donald. If other studies validates that claim I think I'll frequent fast foods more often :lol: (not mc donald, we have "healthy" fast foods in France :p)

11. Dutchbooked

Dutchbooked SS.org Regular

Sports nutrition is almost 100% Quackery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There might be a slight edge to having some high glycemic carbs and protein post workout in the limit of a studies sample but for you personally it means nothing because your genetics will so overwhelm all other factors.

There is no reason to not eat post workout but what you actually eat means almost nothing. People believe this because they want this to be true and it feels good mentally to believe you are following some secret optimal strategy.

That same feeling though is what makes people such suckers for inert compounds sold at GNC.