What DAW do i really want?...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by ICSvortex, Oct 4, 2018.

1. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

Hey guys!

So, the question here is, which DAW i should get next. I've been using Cubase 5 for the last 3 or 4 years and overall i'm pretty happy with it. But since it's getting quite old now and its sarting to behave weirdly and it doesnt support all of my VST's anymore so i guess its time for am update!

But here's my problems: Cubase 9.5 Pro would set me back AT LEAST 300$ and that seems a little much for me since i only use it for demo-recording for my band and solo stuff. BUT the artist version limits me to 64 audio tracks and that's not enough for some of my bands stuff.

And of course someone's gonna say "use reaper!" but the problem i have with reaper is the navigation. EVERYTIME i click on a track (that i want to delete or smthng) the timeline (or where the track will be playing if i hit play) goes to exactly that point and this bothers me to death tbh. I think its the same with protools eventhough i never tried it...

Now, is there an "affordable" DAW that can handle 128 AUDIO tracks at least and doesnt cost more than 150$-180$ AND most importantly, doesnt jump to wherever i click with the timeline?

And please dont say "you'll get used to it"^^

Thanks a lot!

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Reaper, options, preferences, audio, seeking - untick empty areas of tracks. This should do it.
    The one thing about Reaper that many users feel puts it above all other DAWs , is the ability to customise anything. Almost anything you can think of doing or changing, can be done :) Be it interface, functionality, or extreme nerdy tools - Reaper has your back via menu options, downloadable layouts, or 3rd party addons.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Flappydoodle, cwhitey2 and ICSvortex like this.
  3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

To answer the budget question though, I believe Sonar (used to be my DAW of choice) is now being offered for free under the name Cakewalk Bandlab. Great DAW. But I couldn't be happier with my change to Reaper.

lilstryer likes this.
  4. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

DUUUUDE!! I'll have to try that, if this works i'm changing to reaper today!
    Thanks a lot man! Thats amazing :DD

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'll be that person. Dooooooo it.

Well.... you'll.... adapt... to it?

:lol:

ICSvortex likes this.
  6. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

If you're on Mac you could always give Cubase a try, I switched to it after getting a MacBook from Cubase and it's working really well

I still miss Cubase though, so I might just end up purchasing 9.5 someday

Maybe try Studio One? The artist version still has unlimited tracks iirc

axxessdenied likes this.
  7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Reaper is insanely user-configurable. If you don't like it's default behavior, in 99.99% of cases, you can probably change it.

Winspear likes this.
  8. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Gotta pay to play. Sounds like you use your DAW pretty extensively if you have 64 track sessions.
    Reaper is the only viable solution if you don't want to spend $300.
    Black Friday is around the corner and I'm sure they will have epic upgrade deals. Just be patient and make your decision then imo.

9. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

*If you're on a Mac you could always give Logic a try

Flappydoodle likes this.
  10. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

Yeah i work with Windows only so thats not an option...

But i looked at studio one and that seems to be a good option aswell, mainly because i've heard so many good things about it but it has that navigation feature that i hate so much^^

Yeah, i'll have a look around when its black friday time, maybe that'll solve my problem...
    And for the mean time i'll just use reaper with the changes that winspear submitted. Maybe i'll like it so much that i'll stay but we'll have to see.

But in the end cubase is just where the heart's at :D and the drum velocity editing of cubase is still the easiest in the business^^

11. Kaura

Kaura #Make:cool:SmileyCoolAgain

Just get Reaper to save money for a bottle of scotch because you're going to need it if you use Reaper...

AxeHappy and Masoo2 like this.
  12. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

Why?^^ i mean i enjoy a good scotch, dont get me wrong but is reaper really that bad?
    I only used it very few times because it was easier to speed up/slow down tracks without changing the tuning of the track in reaper than in cubase...

13. Matt Ress

Matt Ress SS.org Regular

Reaper, compared to Logic or Studio One, is not very user friendly. I mean it's great for power users but it is a barebone piece of software that often needs to be cutomised like a lot. This can be a good thing, or a bad thing.

14. Kaura

Kaura #Make:cool:SmileyCoolAgain

Well, you mentioned the one thing that I actually also prefer Reaper for. But I just found my workflow to be very slow on Reaper and plugins kinda annoying to use. In Cubase it takes me 10 seconds to divide Superior Drummer to multiple outputs. In Reaper I couldn't even figure it out.

Edit: Someone else said that Reaper is very customizable so I guess it would be possible to make it feel more like Cubase but I'd rather just use Cubase then.

If you ask me, I'd really just save money for Cubase 9.5. After that you probably wouldn't have to think about switching DAWs for another 5 years at least. I'm still using 6.5 Elements even though I bought update to both 8.5 and 9.5. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Masoo2 likes this.
  15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It's about as friendly as an other one. :shrug:
    Each new program you try is going to introduce new workflows, and there's going to a be a bit of a learning curve. I can use Reaper out of the box with no problems at this point, while I get confused/lost in other ones. It's just a question of what you're used to.

Matt Ress likes this.
  16. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Spend the $300.

AxeHappy and Masoo2 like this.
  17. Sanrek

Sanrek SS.org Regular

I've been using both extensively (Reaper user for 10 years, Cubase Pro user for 5 years (now in the 9.5 version), and some Logic/Studio one/Pro tools tryouts here and there).

Reaper is the tool I want if I'm looking for a robust/lightweight recording solution - or as a non loop based live daw (it's been the heart of our live system for backing track/midi control of our various FX units for years before switching to full all in-one hardware (Cymatic LP16/Utrack24))
    ...and if budget is a big factor, there isn't really any viable/comparable competition in the same price range

That being said, for composing sessions, especially if it involves midi, even more with any kind of expression-based VSTs (which are all over the place whenever you start to do orchestra), I couldn't see myself going back now that I'm used to Cubase (gotta love VST expression mapping and all the midi editing shortcuts/ease of use), and obviously Cubase Pro is a very robust recording platform as well, even if not as lightweight as Reaper (which might not even be a factor to you anyway).

Reaper pros:
    • Lightweight
    • Stable
    • Fully-customizable in a lot of different ways (from live setlist based daw to recording station, or whatever in between)
    • Best bang for the buck of any available solutions
    • Routing options
    Reaper cons:
    • Not user/beginner friendly (Basic tasks might require a lot more effort)
    • The flip side of the customization possibilities is that the default UI / options might not really be suited for you at all
    • Midi/VSTs editing is definitely not its forte (it gets the job done tho)

Cubase Pro pros (pun intended):
    • VST Expression (I couldn't live without it now, it took me a bit to get everything set up but once you've done it it streamlines the whole VST editing process tremendously (with a lot of nice feature like for me getting the play indications straight to the score afterward (ie. pizzicato for strings, etc)
    • Midi editing built-in function/macros/shortcuts
    • Vari-audio is now a very powerful time stretch/warping/pitch modifier
    • Track versions (being able to go back and forth between different revisions of modification of the same track is a godsend)
    • VCA fader automation
    • ASIO-guard - really changed my life for big orchestral projects (being able to play a track in real time with a very low buffer while having a hugely increased buffer for the tracks you're not playing (therefore not having to work in real time) without the performance meter rocketing to the skies and audio dropping was the whole reason I upgraded to the next version when it cames out)
    Cubase Pro cons:
    • Although not the most expensive option, definitely not in the cheap side
    • Not as stable with big projects involved
    • Has a love/hate relationship with Two notes torpedo Wall of sound depending on the versions (Or rather the other way round. I'm using both, but I'm used to the idea that upgrading to the latest WoS version is never a good idea) - might not be a factor at all for you but worth noticing
    • Not as customizable, it has the "cubase workflow", which either works for you or don't (but well you're already a cubase user)

My freaking wall of text two cents.

18. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

this is the best idea

you're already used to Cubase and seemingly have enjoyed the workflow enough to stick with it for this long, so it's probably best that you just cash out for the full latest version

there's no sense in learning an entirely new DAW if you have years experience in one that has consistently worked, especially if the alternative is Reaper which imo is one of the least intuitive DAWS

I kinda compare it to some versions of Linux vs Windows/Mac OS or rooted/customized Android vs iOS: why would I want a harder time if I could care less about customization? I just want a fluid experience that works extremely well and has lots of support

AxeHappy likes this.
  19. Matt Ress

Matt Ress SS.org Regular

The thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't come with anything, just a barebone software with some very basic (useful tho) plugins. This might not be good for a beginner who would need to build it up and put in extra 3rd party plugins. Logic or Software One for example come with plenty more options, amp sims, some virtual instruments, drums. Not all of them are top quality but good enough to get started.

20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I don't remember how to do it off the top of my head, but not only will Reaper allow you to do it just as quickly, it even creates the tracks for you. :lol:

As far as plugins, the Reaper stuff is no better or worse than Cubase - "good enough to get started," and I still use ReaDelay, ReaComp, and ReaEQ rather a lot. They're kind of boring, clean, and unremarkable, without strong "color," but they're very effective, and you don't always want a "color" plugin, so I'll find myself using both ReaEQ and, say, the Sonimus Burnley 73 heavily in the same mix for different applications.

ZombieLloyd likes this.