What cabs should I look into

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by HerbalDude420, Jul 21, 2016.

1. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

I am thinking of getting a new cab sometime in the future new or used doesn't matter. Just curious as to what I should look into definitely going with a 4x12. I currently use a Seismic Audio LukeĀ™-2x12C Contemporary loaded with WGS Vet30 and ET65. I own a Egnater Armageddon looking to what would also pair well with my amp.

2. RuslanK

RuslanK SS.org Regular

Choosing good cabs is pretty big. All depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend money. I like the Mesa rectocab.

3. Ibycan7

Ibycan7 SS.org Regular

Mesa Oversized Recto cab like RuslanK said, they are really hard to beat, very durable, and great V30s.

4. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

mesa cabs are really good, i've also got a soft spot for the ol' marshall 1960a/b. They usually sound good and are pretty cheap used.

5. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

There are plenty of wonderful cab builders out there. Don't bother. There are SO MANY used 4x12s being given away for massive discounts that it's sheer idiocy to buy a new one. Mesa Recto cabs are classic, Orange cabs are great. The Marshall 1960AV is worth considering, and there are some other Marshalls loaded with V30s. Two awesome sleeper options: the Line 6 Spider Valve 4x12 or the Carvin Legacy 4x12, both V30 loaded and frequently less than $400. Or you can look for a cab that is decently constructed and just throw the speakers out, replace em with WGS or whatever.

6. HerbalDude420

Definitely looking for something for metal. Anything with V30 seems to fit that bill. I have heard great things about Orange cabs having really good punch. Thanks so far for the suggestions I look into the Line 6 Spider Valve 4x12.

7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Why do you feel you need to go 4x12? A good 2x12 can usually sound huge without having the backbreaking weight and the unwieldy size.

8. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Blackest Of The Blackest

Vader, Marshall, Mesa/Boogie.

9. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

What's wrong with the Seismic cab? Speaker swap?

10. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

Vader, Marshall, Emperor, ENGL, Mesa, Orange, VHT/Fryette, Bogner

11. punisher911

punisher911 blah blah blah

I too own and play the Armageddon... Love it... oddly enough, it sounds amazing with my Bugera 2x12TS. The one with the Turbosound speakers. I imagine it would sound just great with the Bugera 412TS too.

12. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I was thinking that, sounds like he's got decent speakers in there as well. Those Luke cabs look pretty nice.

If you want a 4x12, on a budget i'd look for a Carvin Legacy V30 4x12, usually in the $2xx range, great deal since the speakers alone are worth more, or if money is not so tight a Mesa 4x12 or Marshall AV series (V30 loaded).

At least try out a V30 loaded cab first, because they have a very distinct barking sound that goes great with distorted guitar. Once I discovered them nothing else did it for me. Some people don't like 'em though.

13. Djep

Djep SS.org Regular

Vht fatbottom gets my vote.

14. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

So far the Mills Afterburner is the best cab I have ever played.

If your amp has massive low end the OS Mesa will sound very bassy and flubby, the VHT's were too directional, the Ubercab was too spikey on the high end but that may have been the speakers idk. The Orange was very spikey as well but it was a 2x12 so maybe the 4x12 is different idk. These are all with my amps and guitars so the results may be different for you.

I have played some cheaper cabs with V30 x Warehouse 75's that sounded great but for me the Mills is where it's as (so far) It keeps the low end massive and tight no matter how much you have, it fills the room like nothing else and it is not directional at all.

You can stand in front of it and then move to the other side of the room without the sound changing. I have not played every cab out there but I vote mills. The downside is that it is very large and heavy. If you gig it will be a major pain. If that is the case and you do not want to deal with it my next vote would be the Mesa Trad NON OS.

Personally, I really want to try out a nice 2x12 like a Port City or Earcandy or something. Also the guy from Emperor Cabs is making cabs again under the name Tyrant. I bet those are great.

15. steelyad

steelyad Hop Pole Studios

ZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZillaZilla

Zilla make 4x12s that are simply incredible and not that expensive. I know guys like Periphery (and me) use the 2x12 Fatboys, but if you insist on a 4x12 they build great stuff.

16. Jaek-Chi

Jaek-Chi SS.org Regular

I was about to write, has no one seriously asked this dude what amp he's running it through? Then i read his post again... haha.

Plenty of great suggestions above. You can get some killer cabs for cheap. V30's are great speakers, and plenty of decent amps use them. I have a cab with V30's and i also have a Vader 4x12 with Eminence Legends, these are brilliant as well.

17. HerbalDude420

What is everyone's take on Eminence Speakers? I'm looking into Swamp Things or Texas Heat or a combination thereof.

18. Joe Harvatt

Joe Harvatt SS.org Regular

Zilla. Get a 4x12 with Creamback M's and you'll be set for life.

19. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I just put a pair of Swamp Thangs in a Fryette Deliverance cab along with two V30's and they sound killer together. The Swamps are smoother/darker and slightly scooped compared to the V30's and have more headroom and low end without flubbing out. Great for heavy sounds :yesway:

20. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 SS.org Regular

I mean... depends on the type of sound you want, the type of music you play, and the amp you are running.

That said...

Mesa standard/traditional cab with Mesa V30s.
    Bogner 4x12 rear-loaded (not the Uberkab) with V30s.

Done.