What BRIDGE pickup are you using in your PRS CU24?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by neurosis, Aug 8, 2015.

1. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Hello all!

I have a Custom 24 with a set of 59/09s. I quiet like them but I want to know what you have in yours and why. That way I will get a better idea of the tones that are possible with this thing outside of what I have.

I hear a lot of good things about the Mojotone Clones. I also have seen reviews with the Bareknuckle Warpig and Blackhawk.

Would you put a Gibson Burstbucker or a JB in this thing?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

2. Underworld

Underworld SS.org Regular

I have a DiMarzio Gravity Storm set in mine. I like them!

3. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Hey man! Do you have a recording by any chance? Also, what amp are you using it with... I feel like that makes a big difference. My current setup together with the Laney Ironheart Studio is really punchy but also has a lot of scream I don't really know how to control while playing rhythms. Particularly playing open chords and trying to do the Opeth sort of strumming it doesn't matter how I low I go on the gain... I can't seem to get definition and always have some kind of treble peak in there.

4. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

I have 85/15s in one and 59/09s in the other.

5. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

How do you think the two compare? What do you use them for? Or do you just go with them in in-distinctively?

6. Dusty Chalk

That's what they came with. The 85/15s are spectacular, but the 59/09s are no slouch. They're both very dynamic, with just the right amount of treble extension and body when dialed in.

I play mostly clean, sometimes overdriven in a single channel amp, and lots of pedals. I crave that universal Fleetwood Mac/Sound City rock'n'roll sound.

7. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Would you possibly say the 59/09s are so tight that it´s hard to get note separation when strumming chords? I have recorded some mind-blowing cleans with this thing and for chugging there really is no better guitar but I am losing y mind to get proper note separation without losing punch when strumming distorted chords.

Maybe it´s my technique? Whenever I am trying to strum chords and introduce a melody with the remaining fingers around the shape I swear, once recorded the melody is inaudible and gets buried under the lower notes.

I have even been thinking that the pickup might be too high. I am clueless. I don´t have this problem with any other guitar.

8. somniumaeternum

somniumaeternum SS.org Regular

The 59/09s are my favorite PRS pickup by far. They take gain really well. I actually don't think they're all *that* tight sounding in the low end, but just enough. They have a lot of different sounds in there depending on the gain level you dial in with the amp, and how hard you pick. Also compression settings, etc. can have a big effect.

Lowering the pickup height could be an easy way to see if it fixes things. Since it takes about 2 seconds it's worth giving it a shot I'd think. Or, if you have a volume pedal or something in front of the preamp that has a gain stage, you can lower that to hit the preamp a little less... almost the same thing.

9. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

DiMarzio Dominions. Superb, versatile, and affordable. Super punchy and articulate for distortion but they clean up extremely well. The bridge alone sounds good on any channel and sounds fantastic split.

10. Dusty Chalk

Aw man, voicing is hard, I'm still a beginner. Don't know what to tell you. Follow somniumaeternum's advice -- back off on the volume or something.

11. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

That´s a a few good pointers. I might record it and send you a PM when there is time if you are ok with it. I am at a point where I think I need a second opinion. Maybe I am hearing ghosts. :lol:

12. somniumaeternum

somniumaeternum SS.org Regular

Sure thing man, I know how that goes... good luck!

13. protest

protest SS.org Regular

\m/

Love those pickups.

14. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

I know it is not a CU24 but I got holcombs in my holcomb... sounds great!

15. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Are those even available without the guitar? I saw the video demos he made. I like some of their tunes and he's a good player but his sound is a bit too glassy (if that even makes sense) for me.

I am trying to get definition in the chord but I think the separation he aims for (which is probably mostly his technique anyway) is a step beyond of what I am trying to get, which is the mellow Opeth strumming.

I am going to have to try a few more times. I seriously don't know what I am doing wrong. Through the cab everything sounds awesome. Enter Logic Pro and things go south. Cleans are great, but I can't get the crunch and overdriven tones I want out of this, while my Les Paul sound sleek a sledgehammer (which is not what I am going for at the moment either). Ugh...:wallbash::lol:

16. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Thanks! I will text you when I have a break this week.:hbang:

17. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

18. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

wish you all the best! For me pickup is more a feel thing rather than the actual sound/tone I am chasing for. And they sound all different with different guitars (and how hard you play) so I won't even know the exact outcome until I try one... and that journey will never satisfy me if I have more opportunities to try more pickups haha. 9 out of 10 times you will notice much bigger difference by changing the amp or the guitar you are playing entirely.

19. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I think I understand what you are getting at. I actually sound quiet the same with anything. After dialing in the amp and putting an Overdrive in front I get similar results.

However with EMGs (maybe for obvious reasons) and this new pair of pickups I am struggling to get that particular recording I am after. I will actually try and do the same track with the Les Paul again. I might be doing something wrong and the pickups are just fine. But something tells me it's just the way they are voiced and me not knowing how to compensate for it.

WOW! The price on the Holcombs. If that is not a way for Seymour Duncan to charge Bareknuckle prices... I hope that's not an indicator of where pickup prices are going... On the other hand it says Custom Shop so if there is really some special attention involved I guess it's ok for whoever wants to pay that.

Thanks for the good words mate.