What boost should I buy?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Jacksonluvr636, May 24, 2018.

1. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Completely random, just extremely bored. Feeling the need to try another boost. Here is a little background of my experiences and flavors.

TL;DR - I absolutely love the tone of my amp plugged straight in but I just like to kick it up a little bit more. Not looking to spend more than $250.

Boosts I own -

* Suhr Koko Boost V1 - This is my #1. Adds a bit of grit, keeps the character of my amp and just sounds awesome.

* Friedman Buxom - Awesome pedal, sounds killer and is another keeper. Just has a different/low mid throaty kind of character.

* Bodenhamer BM Clone (verified to be accurate) Fun pedal, sounds good but prefer the Koko with my amp.

Boosts I have owned/tried -

* King of Tone - marvelous, one of the best out there but for my needs (super heavy brutalzzzzzzz) it wasn't perfect and they sell for ridiculous amounts.

* Maxon 808 - used to be my #1. Was my go to pedal to compare others. The 5150 of boost pedals.

Various others that just did not do it for me - Fortin 33, 808X, Tech 21, SD1, VFE Scream, Bion Boost (Naga clone with tweaks), I am sure I am missing a few.

I am curious to try a Timmy and some of the Caline Pedals but what do you all would thing would suit me?

2. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

When I was playing real amps, rather than modelers, I tried a bunch of pedals and actually liked the Boss SD-1 better than just about anything :lol:. You can pick it up for like $20 used.

I am uncultured swine.

The906 likes this.
  3. Jacksonluvr636

Not sure if I got the right year but the SD1 I tried was just not my thing at all.

I use a Rev 2 Uberschall so maybe the amp just didn't like it.

4. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I have an Airis Effects Savage Drive and I love it. He also has a Savage Boost and Brutal Boost but never tried them.

5. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

BBE Boosta Grande. Nice clean boost, simple.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  6. Jacksonluvr636

Interesting and interested. Very cheap, why not. I do have 1 question though. I notice a few different versions. Some big box with graphic, Big box white and blue and then a small box white and brown.

Are there any differences in tone between any of these?

7. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Just re-packaged.
    The first one was huge. Over time, they've been able to finally get it into a mini pedal format.
    Same circuits, same control.

8. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Airis Brutal Drive is pretty fun. It's like the Savage Drive with all of the tightness, aggression, and attack, but with the nice classic ts808 mid hump that the Savage Drive lacks.

If you want a twist on a classic or common design, Alex at ToneApparatus effects can build you something like a modified ts808 or an OCD (Pretty sure he can do Timmy's too.) with some tweaks. I had him make me an OD808 on steroids and I love it. Plus he's affordable as hell. (Sub $120)
    https://reverb.com/shop/alex-s-gear-locker-9

Not affiliated, just a happy customer.

9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The only overdrive I own at the moment is the Keeley D&M Drive. It's a Klon and OCD in one box, separately or together and you can even choose the order. I don't see myself needing another overdrive pedal.

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

Do you want more of a clean/klon style boost or more of a TS/aggressive boost?
    aggressive TS/Distortion territory: airis savage drive, maxon od808x, MXR CBMOD, MXR Super Badass distortion,Mosky Demon TS
    clean/klon style boost: Abominable hate stomper, VFE merman, J. Rocket Archer

I'm pretty partial to the airis savage drive or the maxon od808x or the MXR Custom Badass Modded OD. All of them are exceptionally aggressive but I find the Savage Drive to be the most versatile for mid-high gain tones. The tight control and the sheer amount of aggression/gain on hand gives you a lot of options.
    The Mosky Demon is pretty cheap and covers the ts8,9 and 9+ sounds easily.
    The MXR super badass distortion is pretty affordable and is overall more versatile than the CBMOD. The CBMOD works better as a clean boost though.

The Abominable Hate Stomper is a really good clean boost. Super transparent and loud.
    I've heard tons of good things about the VFE Merman and the J. Rockett Archer if you want more of a klon style boost.

11. Jacksonluvr636

Man, I could not resist. I have never tried a Keeley but have read and heard all about him. After reading the description I had to order. Sounds like something I will love and what I wished the Koko did (stack).

Will post up in a week or so when I have some time with it with my thoughts. The core tone of the koko has been hard to beat for me but I am kind of excited about this one.

I may try that BBE too and would like to try a Klone of some sort but my buddy has one I can try. Anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions.

12. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Get a NUX OD-3. Best $15 ever spent. You might even want to consider getting rid of some of your more expensive pedals after you try one.

13. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Try some cheap ones. Get yourself a behringer vintage overdrive (tube screamer) and a joyo ultimate drive (ocd style) and try em out for fun.

14. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have a bunch of the Caline and Joyo pedals. They are fun to collect since they are so cheap. You might like the Caline Orange Burst. It is a clone/inspired by of a BB preamp, which is kind of like a dark Tubescreamer with bass and treble controls. It is kind of on the dark and smooth side of Tubescreamers like the OD808.

The Caline Pure Sky is a Timmy clone based pedal. I don't like the transparent boosts as much as Tubescreamer based pedals for metal, but if you can grab one for $25 or whatever, it is fun to have around for the hell of it.

The King of Tone is based on the old Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal. You might be able to find a cheaper clone that does a similar thing. Even Marshall Guv'Nor pedals might be similar although they have more gain. I am not sure of good clones though because I build a lot of my own clones.

One pedal you might like is the Maxon OD-820. I don't have one, but I built a BYOC Green Pony, which is a clone/based on design. It is kind of somewhere between an OD808 and a Klon style pedal. Not as much of a mid hump as an OD808, but not as transparent as a Klon type.

15. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I rarely use the stacked option as that is more gain than I would use for most things but it's a cool sound and changing the order gives different results. So far this pedal has worked great with everything I've plugged it into. Since The Pedal Show guys are heavily into single coils it comes as no surprise that the Keeley is especially good with any single coil pickup.

16. Jacksonluvr636

Supposed to be here today. Hopefully I dont have to sign for it since I wont be home but otherwise I guess Tuesday maybe.

Was looking to use the stack as a lead boost but I'm not sure how powerful the levels are. Will have to see.

17. Jacksonluvr636

I have been curious about the OD 820 but I think I will buy that pure sky instead of the Timmy just to give that type a try.

I will get another KOT when my name comes up on the list. The one I owned had literally every option and was just way too expensive to keep considering it wasnt my #1. It is an amazing pedal tho probably the best pedal I've played but for my metal tone I liked the koko slightly better. Kind of want the prince to see if its really the same as they claim.

18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I find the transparent types like the Pure Sky can make metal tones very scratchy and fizzy in the highs, and very flubby on the lows. I like them on clean tones, but not so much for metal. I built a Klon clone that I think sounds great as a sound enhancer on clean tones, but I don't love it for high gain in front of amps like my Triple Recto.

I saw that I can build a KoT clone pretty easy. I didn't know if it would be that different, but maybe I will give it a shot one day. I want to build a clone of that Buxom Boost also.

19. Defmelonn

Defmelonn SS.org Regular

The delta lab to1 is a great tube screamer for cheap.

Or get the jhs bonzai and get all of them in one box.

20. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

If you liked the 808, why not get another? :shrug:

Alternatively, I love my Mesa Grid Slammer as an alternative to my OD808. Just a bit of extra output and brutality that's hard to put into words. I know yours is a Rev 2, but the Grid Slammer pairs well with my √úberschall Twin Jet :2c: