What are some changes in guitars and gear in recent years that are actually great?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by The Mirror, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

Here is a sample of what one of my setups sounds like:

https://soundcloud.com/jock-grindco...tar-tracks-re-amped-with-amp-sims-info-listed

Honest question, does it sound good or bad?

2. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Kempers, evertune, Fishman Fluence pickups. Heck, I love the Gibson/Tronical robotuners, too, but those first three were innovations that exceeded my expectations. I just wish true temperament frets would catch on and become mainstream. I am not a traditionalist.

KnightBrolaire and Mathemagician like this.
  3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Obligatory Gibson hate in a SSO thread... how droll.

[​IMG]

Yawn.

Back OT... lots of good mentions about VSTs, digital, imports, etc. I definitely remember when buying MIK was a joke. The MIK Peavey Wolfgangs were GARBAGE in every way. People would try and change the SN to make it look like it was MIA and then sell on eBay. Same deal with Chibanez. MIC was even worse. Now I have a MIC Wolfgang that is superb and rivals my MIA ones.

Mathemagician and AxeHappy like this.
  4. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Restarted likes this.
  5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

And their sister company, DV Mark.

Seriously, if you look through their artist roster, 85% of them are jazz fusion artists. :lol:

6. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Going from more stereotypical “Metal” style guitars and pickups to more versatility, as appreciate more styles the older I get. Probably why I love my PRS SE 7 string.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  7. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

8. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Dang tootin

lol I wish I could add to this conversation, but y'all have much more knowledge and paid much closer attention than I did, but the growing diversity in products (already been covered) is what I've noticed most, especially in terms of the availability of left handed guitars. I'm left-handed but (and I bet a bunch of other lefties can relate) was taught right handed since I was a kid so no playing a left handed guitar is as alien to me as it is for any right handed person, but I think now maybe kids will be able to not have to learn righty.

(Though, it has had interesting effects on my playing, so I don't feel bad about it or anything, but it would have probably been a lot less frustrating trying to get that coordination down the few five years or so Oi)

9. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

I don't think you are raging on me or anything at all. I do agree the bass is loose, and it's not perfect.

I don't think a lot of people give sims a chance because it takes many hours to tweak the very touchy settings of each element.

I know my way around my setup pretty well, if you want you can give me a tone and I will try to replicate it. It would be a fun personal challenge too just to see how close I could get it. I have guitars in Drop C and E standard if you have a tone in mind. It would be even better if there were a drumtrack of the song.

:shred:

10. mdeeRocks

mdeeRocks SS.org Regular

Kemper. Massive game changer. Nothing, I mean it, comes even close when it comes to innovation in guitar gear in last 10 years or so. Chistopher Kemper got himself on the same level as Jim Marshall and other legendary amp builders.

Other than that mid/low priced guitars quality. 10-15 years ago you either paid high price or got shit. Not true anymore.

p.s. Fishman Fluence pickups? Yeah they all all right, another seasonal thing after BKPs ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    USMarine75 likes this.