What amp software is THE ONE these days?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by LiveOVErdrive, Aug 7, 2018.

1. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I've got Revalver... 2.5 I think. It's pretty good and I like it. Are any of the other ones on the market these days mind blowingly better than revalver at this point? Is there one that simply EVERYBODY uses?

Looking for metal tones if that wasn't obvious.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

T H E R M I O N I K

axxessdenied likes this.
  3. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Oh they've got all the amp models I want. Tasty.

Is there an IR loader included?

4. KnightBrolaire

idk, I just use wall of sound.

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I suppose if I'm on a pc anyway it doesn't much Matter, does it. Thanks for the tip. I'll try out the demo.

Gonna return my ge200. Just doesn't sound very good.

6. KnightBrolaire

honestly dude, since you already have the mk5, I'd say don't waste your time with software. buy a torpedo reload/captor or whatever and record direct with that. I only mess with thermionik or amplitube when I don't feel like running my amp.

7. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I'm really just looking for something for silent jamming when my girlfriend is trying to sleep. For recording I'll just mic up my mk5 or run the slave into my interface and slap an IR on it.

So I guess revalver will be fine :)
    I just want an excuse to buy more gear.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

you could use the mk5 into the captor/whatever right into your interface and run an IR. That's literally what I do for silent jamming with the mk3 lol

9. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Now that's not bad. I'll have to think about that. Thanks for the idea.

10. KnightBrolaire

the plus side to using the two notes/IRs is that it sounds great with minimal tweaking. I can't say the same about thermionik/amplitube.

11. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Now I'm thinking I'll build myself some tube pres and run them into my interface. Maybe a iic+ clone or a powerball. Don't know why that never occurred to me.

12. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

IRs are so good these days, Ownhammer heavy hitters Zilla Cab IR destroy the old fashion imo...TSE amp Le Pou Thermonik , who cares, a good IR is the key

13. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

BIAS FX. I have both the Bias and Thermionik sims and honestly they sound very, very similar. At least with the 5153 sims that i use. The reason i lean more towards Bias is because it has everything built in already. You've got all the effects plus built in IR's, which isn't a deal maker or breaker but another plus with it for sure. Either way you can't really go wrong.

14. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

15. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Bias is awful in every aspect, it doesn't feel good, amp models are bloated, compressed and fizzy, cabs don't sound even near real equivalents. LePou is pretty decent considering it's free, also what Ignite Amps has to offer is free and very good sounding.

Best for me in terms of amp modeling have been Thermionik and Mercuriall. Or Overloud TH3 if you want big all in one package of everything.

narad likes this.
  16. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Mercuriall destroys everything else I’ve ever tried. Marshalls, Engl e530 and TriAxis sims. They’re all fucking awesome.

FireInside likes this.
  17. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

TH3 Overloud for me. Absolute Underdog and great dynamics.

RiffRaff likes this.
  18. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Buried in the mix.

Here’s the problem that always comes up in threads like this, specifically for guitar amp sim software.

Give guitarists the technology blessing and we always find a way to ruin a good thing.
    Here’s what I mean.
    Any guitar amp sim has its fans and its detractors. There are many who express a preference for each of the competing platforms. Some people don’t like a piece of software for no other reason than “how much it costs” “it’s hard to install” “I don’t like the licensing scheme” or “company has too much marketing” lol...

I’ve read some ridiculous stuff, stuff that has zero to do with the sound and ultimate creative potential this wonderful tech has to offer. Worse, I’ve seen people sell one for another because they got butthurt by some random comments on their beloved amp sim... they hadn’t even learned how to use it yet!

You simply can’t beat experience vs YouTube videos and what people say is “da best.”

And we can argue over and over again resulting in nothing gained. There is no defacto winner. You will love what you will love, but the “BIAS” is not in the name, it’s all in your head. Notice how there is not one top-dog “be all end all” guitar amp sim for “professional studio” use? (Like how we have Axe FX vs Kemper for “modelers”...)

Again what software you’re using doesn’t mean anything if you hate the workflow, the options, the interface, just don’t know how to use it correctly and have the wrong things switched on etc. If you can’t get BIAS, Revalver, Thermionik, Amplitube, whatever sounding good, I highly doubt the problem is the software.

Pick the one you think you like the most and learn it back to front and stop GASing, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    rexbinary, couverdure, Elric and 3 others like this.
  19. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

I still use Guitar Rig 5. Hated it for years but I've grown to love it. Hopefully I can still release some kind of album during this decade so I can show the world that with enough tweaking the GR5 is usable. I'm pretty sure Sithu Aye used it for at least clean/crunch tones on his first few releases so it's been done.

My only complaint is that the Rectifier-model in it is absolute garbage. No matter how much post-EQing and pedals you use it doesn't sound even near to a real recto (not that I've ever played a real one but still). It's actually pretty stupid that there's 16 amp models in it and only two (5150 and Soldano 100) are usable for hi-gain tones, imo.

Edit: Well, that ended up being a bit off-topic since even I acknowledge that GR5 is not really best sounding overally, but I don't think many programs come even near to its versatility. Maybe Overloud TH3 and BIAS.

20. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

+1 to this. Dude spoke wisely.

Should have said in my previous post that Merc is what works for ME.

Also, most everything mentioned has a free trial of some sort, some of them are limited and some aren’t. Grab everything we all mentioned and try them all; see what works for you.