What about the RGAIX7FM

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Ludo95, Dec 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ludo95

Ludo95 SS.org Regular

Hey, I'm getting into 7 string guitars and I'm looking at the RGAIX7FM from quite a bit. I could get it for like 700€ new, is there anyone who got it and could express his thoughts? I read about some QC problems ( I'm gonna ask the shop for a set-up so I won't get surprises on NGD.. I hope at least ahah ) but other than that?

2. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

They're very solid guitars. One thing I heard is that even thought they're supposedly dimarzios, they're kind of a special version only for ibanez and probably a bit cheaper made and they don't really live up to the actual dimarzios.

3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I had problems with 6 string version... but change the plastic nut, and get fretwork fixed if it's faulty or not good enough for you, and you got a solid guitar.

4. possumkiller

possumkiller Goose stepping in front of a mirror

The one I had was sent back. The finish flaws weren't that bad. The unattached nut was an easy fix. The seriously inexcusable flaw was the neck being held in place by the screws alone. There were large gaps all around the neck and it never touched the sides of the neck pocket. For what they charge new I would never accept so bad craftsmanship. The same price Schecter or LTD is far better and MIK.

5. Metropolis

That was a lemon... my 6 string had fret ends popping out, and ebony fretboard cracked between 15-17th fret when cold winter weather came. Nothing really serious like that, tho. Same price WMI built guitars are also made in Indonesia, older LTD 400-series was made in Korea and some Schecters, but I don't know about new Schecters.

Still I wouldn't really worry, if guitar is inspected and passed quality control of a store which is selling it.

6. Ludo95

Ludo95 SS.org Regular

Thanks! I read your old comments about those problems but I think that they were like QC lemons for sure, I hope that with the full setup the shop will notice any problems with it.
    I'd like to tune it do Drop Ab, do you think that the shorter scale ( 25.5'' vs 26.5'' of the "typical" standard 7 string guitar ) could be a prob ? Maybe I can change my mind and get a RGDIX7 instead lol

7. possumkiller

possumkiller Goose stepping in front of a mirror

If they made one that wasn't flawed I would love to have one. I'm just not in a position to be able to try a bunch before buying or exchanging them until I get a good one. I will say I was impressed by the fretwork on it. Much better than the Indo standards and still better than the premiums I tried.

8. Ludo95

Ludo95 SS.org Regular

That sucks, but you now have a Skervesen, am I right?
    BTW, do you think that the shorter scale of the RGAIX ( 25.5'') won't be "enough" for Drop Ab? I was thinking about the RGD just for the longer scale that maybe will be more suitable for Drop Ab lol

9. Metropolis

RGD is brighter sounding guitar than RGA, mainly because of scale length. Brightness is definetly advantage in lower tunings. So, if you want bright, snappy and tight, get RGD. And RGA if balanced, more in the warm side, and lighter string tension is your thing.

10. Ludo95

Ludo95 SS.org Regular

I'd like to use the 7 not only to chug on the lower strings and I wouldn't go lower than Drop Ab, so maybe having that "6 string guitar feeling" I am used to from the RGAIX could help a lot! I read that Drop Ab on 25.5'' scale guitars is not a big prob if the guitar is setup correctly or not? ( I'd ask the shop for a proper setup for sure).
    BTW I'd probably swap the pickups to DiMarzio Titans, lots of guys recommend to do that.. they fit well they say lol

11. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

I've used that tuning a lot past years and I would recommend a 26.5" scale length. 25.5" works quite well but the tone just gets a bit muddy compared to 26.5".

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

i'll never buy another 25.5 seven. the rgaix i tried were pretty ok though

13. Ludo95

Ludo95 SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot.. I'm gonna give the RGDIX7MPB a chance so.. ;)