Weird crack, wat do?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Avedas, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Today I noticed this weird crack near the neck pickup on my Strandberg. Then I saw that it was a very thin piece of the top that's about to flake off. Upon closer inspection, it seems that there's some missing wood right underneath that corner. You can see the same thing on one of the edges near the bridge pickup, which I've included a picture of as well. I probably put some pressure on that corner at some point and since there was nothing underneath it, it just cracked and broke. That piece has now fallen off. Not sure if there's really anything I can do about it now but it looks pretty shitty. Anyone have any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

By the bridge pickup, I’d try to fill the gap with wood putty/filler and carefully sand the putty flush as needed.

You could use putty to try to reconstruct the missing piece by the neck pickup. You also could get a scrap piece of maple to try to fashion a replacement piece, but it’s so small you might have to do something like cut a larger piece and splice it in.

3. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I would send these pics to them if it was purchased directly from strandberg

lewis likes this.
  4. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Nah I didn't buy directly from them and it's been like 8 months. I'll email and see if they have any suggestions though.

5. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Man, strandberg's QC is all over the place. I was looking at $5000 Japanese ones in toyko that were built like garbage, right next to $900 korean ones that were basically flawless. Sorry about your guitar!

6. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Wow seriously? The J-Series has quality issues? I’ve been hovering over the buy it now button on a few of those assuming that they would avoid the QC issues I’ve read about the Korean builds...

7. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

It's in such a weird hidden spot that I actually didn't see it for over half a year :lol:

I still have the bit that chipped off so maybe it's salvageable. Not really much in the way of tools though.

8. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

If you can't return it anyway, it's simple to fix. Remove strings and neck PU. Mix epoxy with coarse wood sanding dust and slap it in the gap. Make sure that the hanging/cracked edge piece is flat while the epoxy hardens. After 24 hours, sand even and put everything back in place.

NateFalcon and Avedas like this.
  9. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I'll look into that, thanks.

10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

What in particular was garbage? I was thinking about heading out this week to try a few.

11. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Break the other 3 corners to make it even

Randy likes this.
  12. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Speaking of which, the new Music Land Key in Shibuya is pretty underwhelming despite looking nice. I think they cut a lot of their stock. Ikebe and Ishibashi have the best Strandberg stock.

13. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

100% chance any repair will look way more obvious than leaving it the way it is.

JSanta and Soya like this.
  14. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

While I am a firm believer that good quality guitars shouldn't cost over an arm and a leg and that budget-level guitars should also have much better QA, I'm more worried about the functionality of a guitar than a couple dings on a guitar. I have a "new" ESP LTD Snakebyte SW, which actually came with a cracked neck pickup mounting ring, but because my mother never let me buy a new mounting ring for the guitar, I ended up having to leave it as is. Still a bit irritating, but it's not as bothersome as, say, a housefly or a mosquito in the home, because those things multiply real quick. Or a spider in the room because I hate spiders. With the super glue put on, though, I'm afraid that it might be too late as some of it may have made its way to one of the new 89s that I got for the guitar (the other is in the bridge position of the same guitar).

WintermintP

15. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Ah, that's where (I think) I was heading. By new, do you mean they have a new location there?

16. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Yeah they moved from their old corner shop.
    I was kinda thinking the same thing. Might just sand down the rough bit left over and call it a day. It's really not that bad.

17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Whelp, nothing to do now but route for soapbars.

18. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I'd just leave it, personally.

19. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Almost all of those "japan exclusive" trans-white models have horrible neck pockets, just the sloppiest routing I've ever seen on a guitar that expensive.