We should really suss out what does and what doesn't justify having a Megathread.

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Xaios, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Alright, if you look at the first couple pages of the General Music forum, you'll see Megathreads for bands such as Periphery, AAL, Born of Osiris, Devin Townsend, After the Burial... all bands that a LOT of people on this forum talk about on a regular basis. However, right near the top of the forum (as of my writing this), there is a "megathread" for a band called Northlane.

...huh?

The fact that I've never heard this band's material is totally beside the point. What DOES matter is that I've literally never seen a discussion about this band in the past. I see there are a couple other threads for this band currently on the first page, but certainly nothing major. The kicker is of course that this "MEGATHREAD" only has 15 posts, not even 2 pages.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of a Megathread to keep things clean, because otherwise there would be SO many threads about a certain topic that it take up a significant portion of forum real estate? If that's the case, how on earth can we possibly having a MEGATHREAD for a band that, in 5 years of posting here, I've never seen any other discussion about?

The point is that I think the concept behind a MEGATHREAD isn't something that should be tossed about by just anyone, because it diminishes it. Hell, I could go and make an Elton John Megathread and it would make a lot more sense than some of the other Megathreads floating around. In a nutshell, I believe that the creation/formation of a Megathread should be a decision best left to the mods.

Discuss!

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I'd take a small, not so mega Megathread for a smaller band over having a new thread every time a member from said band passes gas. :2c:

FWIW, Northlane is the contributing (as in being a solid user) member noob_pwns' band. He's been here about as long as I've been, and regardless of the thread content I'd say he deserves it. :shrug:

There are tons of bands with Megathreads that are crazy popular that I've never listened too really, so I wouldn't base it off of what an individual has or hasn't heard. What the fuck is a HAARP Machine?

3. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

:funny:

With that said... I've never had an issue with that. Perhaps because I'm looking through the "New Posts" part of the forum 90% of the time, which more-or-less sifts through the relevant info on the website (the stuff getting more hits at the moment), so I don't see things I probably won't care for. When I feel like looking for something specific, I go through the different sub-forums. I do check the sub-forums every now and then to see if there's something new that I have missed that might interest me. These not-so-mega Megathreads don't really bother me.

Personally, I don't think it's an issue.

4. the fuhrer

the fuhrer SS.org Regular

I would say this thread is cluttering the forum more than the Northlane thread.

5. Xaios

Fair enough, but I don't think that applies here, because in this case, the comings and goings hasn't really warranted a level of discussion nearly on that level. I read that forum every day, and while I can certainly admit that one or two threads about a group could have easily escaped my gaze, if there had been a series of them all relating to this group, I would have noticed.

That's cool, I wasn't aware of it. But is "people like this guy on the forum" really the proper reason to have a dedicated thread aggregating all the information about a particular band? IMO, not really. As you go on to say, you don't listen to the HAARP Machine. Neither do I, I've never even heard one of their songs. However, they are damn popular on this forum, so from a logistical standpoint, it makes sense. Noob_pwns' band, conversely, hasn't generated that level of discussion where it could possibly be cluttering the forum without a megathread. Heck, the megathread in question was essentially made to parrot the content of a separate thread which also didn't even have 2 pages worth of posts.

6. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

I just realized that you haven't been here as long as some of the other cats here, and for some reason it's blowing my mind.

7. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I removed the Mega so now it's just a Thread... feel better? :rofl:

8. MaxOfMetal

You bring up valid points.

Though, in the interest of full disclosure, the Mods, myself included, could really care less what gets or does not get a Megathread about 99% of the time.

At most, we'll occasionally merge some stuff once something is warranted, such has been the case most often, but I [we] have no problem with that process starting more naturally without our help.

Like most forum topics there are tons of grey areas here. Honestly, let us sort it out like we have been. I don't think any of us want to take the tame and do a full write up on what EXACTLY merits a Mega.

We're coming up on 5 years, that's like 30 in human years. :lol:

9. Xaios

What has been seen can't be unseen, but at least now I can sleep at night. :lol:

Ah, the sweet taste of vindicati...

...damn. So close!

Fair enough then. I shall continue to trust the mods to care or not care about what warrants being cared or not cared about. :lol:

10. MaxOfMetal

Now you get it. :rofl:

:cheers:

11. Chuck

Chuck SS.org Regular

I was wondering what happend there :lol:

But hey guys, I started that thread yesterday because Northlane has been fairly active lately and their new album is about to drop next month. I didn't realize a band had to have a certain amount of discussion about them to deserve a Megathread.

I just named it Megathread because that's what most of the other threads for bands are called.

And I honestly don't think it matters if any band has a megathread or not, and I certainly don't see the point in this thread.

12. no_dice

no_dice a very bad old bear

Being that there have been (I think) 3 new threads started about them today, I don't see a problem with there being a centralized thread for them. It will fall off the first page after a while. One thread about a band beats three, for sure. Of course there are still people who repost things that are on the front page, so there's no true way to avoid it completely. :lol:

13. abandonist

abandonist Banned

Isn't this just a semantics argument?

As in "This band is tiny and it shouldn't be called 'Northlane Megathread'" vs "A Northlane Thread"

So it's really just about nomenclature. Can't imagine anyone has the time to care about such minor things unless there's some amount of pettiness taking place.

Just saying. IMHO. No Offense. and all that.

14. Yo_Wattup

Yo_Wattup Kick the Butterfly

Call every potential megathread a thread until it gets to say, 10-15 pages then a mod can change the title.

15. Chuck

Chuck SS.org Regular

I agree with all this

16. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Yea, Max is just a noob :lol: