We all got weird guitar hang ups, whats yours?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by ibanezcollector, Mar 21, 2012.

1. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Gear Junkie

Ok we all got certain things we like and dont like about guitars, but if you had to pick one thing that could make or break a guitar for you what would it be.

For me I have this huge hang up on headstocks. I hate seeing headstocks that just dont flow with the design or feel of a guitar. I dont know what it is, but if its got a ugly headstock I wont buy it or even consider it no matter what it is.

So whats your hang up?

Kharon, astm and Al NiCotin like this.
  2. Goatchrist

Goatchrist Jebus

I guess Headstock is often my problem too, that's why I prefer headless...:cool:

3. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

wrong headstock can turn an awesome guitar into an outstanding piece of shit.

I don't like certain guitar shapes.For example,a good strat-like guitar just cant have those thin ibanez-shaped horns,I hate them

4. Seanthesheep

Seanthesheep SS.org Regular

The bridge is a pretty big thing for me

5. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Light colored rosewood fret boards. Even if a particular guitar sounds amazing with a light colored board... I just can't bond with it.

Kinda like sleeping with Carrie Underwood... and the next morning she tells you she used to be a dude. I can't deal with it.

:eek:

6. espman

espman Is beardless....

Headstocks to a point, but mainly its middle pickups :noplease:

7. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

I hate those as well. I prefer H-H or S-H pickup configurations. Me no like S-S-H axes.

8. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Headstocks to a degree, but, as long as it isn't too strange or out of the ordinary, I'm rather liberal with them.

Over-the-top usage of abalone can kill or make a guitar for me. A student of mine has a beautiful red LTD H-351NT that's bound in abalone, and it looks great. However, it looks absolutely horrendous on a lot of other ESP's/LTD's and Schecters.

Ever since I got my Carvin, whenever I play non-SS frets I feel very clumsy and sloppy. It becomes harder to play haha. My DC727 definitely spoiled me too much. It's not a deal breaker for me, but regular frets have become a bit of a turn-off.

I think that's about it, though.

9. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

Put me down for headstocks.

10. WesleyG

WesleyG SS.org Regular

Crazy Shapes...Xephos, Warlock, etc.
    Bolt on necks

Oh, and I don't know what it is about standard Tele's, but the little metal strip where the toggle/knobs go...THAT PLATE DRIVES ME NUTS. I feel like it doesn't flow with the guitar at all. It's just like, "Mmmm, pretty, pretty, wood, METAL PLATE...not so sure if pretty anymore. :ugh:"

11. ihave27frets

ihave27frets SS.org Regular

I hate bad designs.. weird proportions and lines that make no sense design wise. Things that just aren't appealing to the eye. I feel like so many independent builders fall into this.. to me any way.

oh..and.. Floyd or GTFO

12. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Well I don't see myself buying a production guitar ever again :lol: But to be more practical for the thread...

Middle pickups
    Non matching headstocks (i.e. the all too common black headstock on coloured guitar)
    Non hipshot or floating bridges

Something kind of related is the fact that I absolutely cannot play most guitars in a casual setting. I wouldn't call myself any more than a fairly good guitarist, but plenty of people must think I'm terrible. Unless I'm carrying my thumbpick, have the guitar in classical position, and it's set up similarly to mine - I am screwed :lol: Even fitting that criteria, if it's not a 7 I'm pretty lost haha

13. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

finishes mainly. i hate overly bright finishes, odd designs, or just anything yellow :lol: i like the color to be tasteful as i'm not someone who goes through multiple guitars in the span of a year. i want the guitar i play to be something i'd still want a few years down the road when my tastes and styles change. same goes for strange shapes, not but two and a half years ago i wanted a DBZ Bird of Prey super bad, now i think it's ugly as sin. another thing, the pickup switch needs to be in the perfect location, right below the bridge with no knobs in the way, so that i can switch it with ease while playing. even if everything about the guitar is perfect, a poorly placed pickup selector can be a deal breaker, which is why i will never own a PRS Torero sadly :noplease:

14. signalgrey

signalgrey Ambiente Savante

the look of bolt-on necks.

floyd rose bridges.

super strats.

15. iRaiseTheDead

iRaiseTheDead Ashes Of Rebirth

Headstock in some cases.

HAS to be H-H

and sometimes bridges

16. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

I feel very irritated when I see an awesome guitar burdened with shitloads of "technology" on it. It's like those gun nuts who love to attach a bunch of "tactical gear" on their gun. (no offense, personal preference)

More specifically I don't like it when a body seems swiss-cheesed to accommodate a battery or two, piezo system, extra switches, massive trem routes, arm rest cut-outs etc etc. I think the guitar would resonate better if it's not so sliced up. Such a waste of good wood IMHO :( For a good example just google the backside of Jackson RR24.

17. titan amps

titan amps SS.org Regular

phew, i have lots.

no maple boards, no trems, no middle pups, carved top only, no bolt necks.

my dream guitar is basically a 7 string caparison angelus with a thin U neck and the satin trans black finish. i'd want the neck heel sculpted like a neck through, too.

everything else is just a compromise for me. my current compromise is an ESP NT7, so it's not like it pains me to not have the dream guitar.

18. Empryrean

Empryrean Undecided forever

the fucking way a singlecut LP shape balances on your leg, :golf: fucking christ it's annoying to me, don't get me wrong, I LOVE THE SHAPE. BUT THE BALANCE IS AWFUL TO ME

/rant

Also, I can't stand when the hardware doesn't match, seriously.

19. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Non-double locking bridges, and that damned volume knob being right under the bridge pickup.

I really don't mind the feel of hipshots, but I can't stand tuning up with my left hand.
    (floyd-spoiled lol)

20. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Tuners that go out of tune.