Washburn USA Custom Sonic 7 String

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by WayneCustom7, Jan 15, 2005.

1. WayneCustom7

WayneCustom7 Paolo Contributor

OK I just got my Washburn in and as promised here is a quick review. Please be forwarned that my review will not be as detailed as others.

FEATURES:9.7
    2001 Made in USA Limited Edition Washburn Custom Shop 7 String new NOS w/5 way selector, 2 volume 1 tone, dual Seymour Duncan Invader humbucker pick ups, mahagony body, maple neck, 22 jumbo frets with rosewood board with the Buzz Feiten system. 18:1 Grover tuners. Licsensed Floyd.
    Industrial Silver Finish w/ a metallic purple border. Wierd shape but its well balanced ...also the most comfortable guitar I have for sitting.
    Washburn fitted aluminium flight case. Oh the reason I'm giving it a 9.7 is because the volume controls through me for a loop, I always reach for the nearest one, but that controls the neck pups...I know, I know but hey!

SOUND 9.9

OK first off, when I got this guitar in, it wasn't set up at all...the trem was on an angle and the action was high...so I adjusted it...I also did something I shouldn't have, I raised the pups HIGH (if anyone has seen these pups they'll know that the cap screws are HUGE). Also on the same day that I received this guitar, I also received my compressor and eq pedal...so don't be a fool like I was, try one thing at a time and not a whole bunch of things, thus eliminating any possible thoughts of BAD instruments. With that in mind I did not like this guitar at all, it buzzed like crazy, and I was furious...but with a little patience, I adusted the pups flush (since they also have that Les PAul like border around the pup), found a good tone and then I realized that this guitar was a screamer. I fell in love instantly. The five way selector really impresses me, and even though I have never really used a five way, nor do I ever switch any switch (primarily Mr. Bridge) it does add options to ones playing style...they also sound friggin great. These pups are not noisy at all, very edgy.

ACTION, FIT AND FINISH 9.6

Ok here is where I have to adjust may playing style. Is it the neck, the jumbo frets? I don't really know, but as each day passes, I become more comfortable with it. The neck has an almost flat area down the centre, so I guess I just need to get used to it. Also, the guitar is missing a screw that holds the locking nut in place...now I really don't know who to fault for this, because it was sitting in a shop for 4 years or so. The action is set low(now that I got my hands on it), however I guess it could go down a tad more, but then it will buzz. The finish is wild but the neck probably needs a new coat of wax (or oil depending) Aside from all that the guitar is sweet, and rugged at the same time. Oh since this is my first fully floating trem, I set it up so that it is level with the guitar body, but you guys know more so I would appreciate any help here!

RELIABILITY/DURABILITY/CUSTOMER SUPPORT N/A

No comment here, I just got it...seems solid though, I guess even though it is new, it has been sitting somewhere for 4 years...so with that make your own call!

OVERALL IMPRESSION 10

I'm giving this guitar an overall of 10. Not only is it a fantastic, well made professional guitar, but since it only cost 599.00 it deserves the highest possible mark. It also has one of the nicest and strongest cases I have ever seen! I'm not a great player by any means, but I do enjoy quality and along with my Erinie Balls, Wolfie Special and my Wayne Custom, this guitar fits the family perfectly. If you have a chance to purchase one of these, 6 or 7 string Sonics, do so you will not be dissapointed.

2. Vacant

Vacant Seven Strings

Only thing I would want more than that would be 24 frets ;)

And the pickup switch is too far for me

In other words:
    That guitar looks fuckin sexy :D

3. WayneCustom7

Thanks!
    I don't know if my fat fingers would do any good on those xtra frets...as far as the switch goes...I'm not one to switch on the fly...hey here's a thought, they should make a pedal switch, like one for your amp that switches pups...for us lazy folk :D

4. 7-request

7-request SS.org Regular

hi, im new here, and new also in 7 string guitar, just got it few weeks ago,...

i like that idea, pedal that swicth Pups,... hmmm how it'll work,...
    nice for me,

am too lazy switching pups on the fly either :p

5. nikt

nikt LACS Lover

I love the US made custom shop Washburns. I own a PTK model

hte sevenstring looks great exept for the 1+6 tuners placing.

I would go for a standard 7 in line

congrats on new gear

6. WayneCustom7

Thanks, man that avatar is creepy...anyway since posting this review I have really grown to love my Washburn. I've learned to control the tone and the action/playability is simply amazing...the only thig is, the guitar is noticeably heavier than most guitars...

7. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

The only thing i dont dig is the 22 frets and the invader pickups. Other than that, it looks bad as fuck. \m/
    (cant believe i didnt comment on this before)

8. WayneCustom7

It took me awhile to find my tone with those pups, I have never experienced this before...as for the 22 frets, that's all I have ever known so I can't comment...although I've been on the hunt for a 7620 (everyone rejoice)

9. nikt

nikt LACS Lover

it's from "strangeland" film

any way

I was also looking for a while for a PT3 model. the same design that PTK (all korina) but an all mahogany model with a maple top. and now when I'm total dry of money some guy is selling it on bay. bad luck for me (please ,someone jump on it and hold it for me :))

I think that invader bridge is a very good choice for Yours guitar but I would propably change the neck pickup to SD Jazz model. That would give the guitar new sound on clean.

I think that comparing it to other 7 sting in this price range, the washburn beats tham all.

I checked the price list and did You know that the S7V+ (floyd) was listed at 1700$$$ and the S7+ (hardtail) at 1600$$$

it's an awsome quality instrument,enjoy

10. WayneCustom7

Yeah, and for what I paid on Ebay, there was no way I could let it slide...
    Now those two models you mentioned are six string models, correct? I'm trying to remember if I have ever heard or seen that model...sounds familiar though...

11. nikt

nikt LACS Lover

yes,they are a six string "only" haha, but my PTK sound great - dropped whole tuning to B

maybe You saw it on KidRocks videos. the guitarist jason Krause was endorse with this model
    ,I've posted a pic of it in my "member gallery" and I also payed funny cash for it, my was upgraded with tone pros bridge and with that I've paid without shipping 600$ and now I must say that I would pay two times that if I only knew that this is such an awsome guitar

12. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I own the fixed bridge version of this guitar, with a Duncan Custom/'59 combo and nice birdsye maple board. The only non-nitpicky bad thing I can say about it is that upper fret access can be a little rough. Otherwise, for the $450 I have in it, it's damn impressive - it sounds totally evil (something about maple/maple/mahogany and a Duncan Custom), and plays great.

Sadly, it doesn't get played as much as it could, since it's my spare, but if you're looking for a quality USA seven string without breaking the bank, these are a damn good choice.

13. WayneCustom7

Mine may be up for sale if anyone is interested. I love it too death, but with the EBMMJP7, it too gets ignored!

14. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

I gotta say it...why give it 6-strings of straight pull on the headstock, then put the low-B way off to the side?

15. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Idiocy? I dunno, although it does stay in tune OK on my fixed bridge one...

16. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

:agreed: Same here. I like the color too. Very nice.

17. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I had one of these, except it had a figured maple fretboard and was a hard-tail. It was pretty awesome, although the neck was pretty wide even for a 7. The Invader pickups are amazing with that guitar... so warm, fat and brutal.... which helped compensate for the brightness associated with maple necks and bolt-on construction.

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

FWIW, Ed Roman is generally held to be an idiot around here.

19. WayneCustom7

I don't get it?! :scratch:

20. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

The comment Drew quoted sounded like something Ed Roman would say. He's an opinionated jackass who basically spouts off comments like he knows everything about guitars, and everybody else has the wrong idea. Usually it comes down to "This brand is the best, this one sucks, if you buy it you're getting ripped off, because of (blah blah blah, stuff about the hardware/construction/materials/country of origin, blah blah blah) it won't sound as good or be worth the money you pay for it".