Warpig vs SD Invader vs Aftermath vs SD Distortion *VIDEO*

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by MiPwnYew, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MiPwnYew

MiPwnYew SS.org Regular

I didn't see anyone post this up yet :ugh: so I figured I would

2. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Warpig and Distortion are my picks on every style in this vid.
    Warpig being #1 to my ears.

3. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Personnal order:
    #1: SD Invaders (Damn, I was impressed, thought that the Warpig would come first)
    #2: BKP Warpig (Like I said, thought they were going to be first, still I loved them)
    #3: SD Distortion (Actually, almost on the same level that the Warpig, lacks a little of definition maybe)
    #4: BKP Aftermath (Sounded thin but razor sharp, missing something compared to the other)

The death metal was pretty blackish, at first I listened to this video without watching it and I thought it was a black metal part ahaha. The skater/punk part was surprisingly good lol

4. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

Damn, Aftermath sounds like it was put further from strings compared to other pickups.
    I've heard a lot vids with Aftermaths sounding like they needed more gain, what's up with that?

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

SD distortion sounded the best IMO although their is little difference and some simple EQ could have them all sounding similar. I must look into some Seymour Duncans 7s. They aren't to popular around here.

6. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

:yesway:
    The Duncan Invader is a surprising pup. It's got a mass ton of low end, but is actually surprisingly bright - and arguably the chuggiest pickup i've heard.
    You can look up Ola Englund's comparison too with a big bunch o' duncans, and most of them (if not all) in basswood guitars.

7. GallCu

GallCu New Member

The Invader is probably my favorite pickup of all time. It has great low mids.

8. demonlord78

demonlord78 SS.org Regular

Interesting! I'd have to say...

1. Warpig - Sounded much fuller and balanced than the rest.
    2. SD Invader - I had one of these in my seven and I can honestly say that this thing shreds. So much focused low end and tight mids. Only drawback was that my cleans were hindered a bit due to it's heaviness.
    3. SD Distortion - This was on par with the warpig with the exception that the mids seemed a little scooped which make it seem like the guitar is undergained. Nothing a little eq can't fix.
    4. Aftermath - Just didn't dig this one. Perhaps this would be more suited for rock.

9. KiD Cudi

KiD Cudi SS.org Regular

It's just that the Aftermath is a VERY tight pickup and eats alot more gain than most pickups which means you can use more gain without out losing clarity/aggression.

10. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

its funny cause i just replaced the alnico warpig in my les paul for the SD distortion and it sounds killer. the distortion used to be in my ibanez and i seriously hated how it sounded. the distortion just kills in my les paul. i was shocked too.

i have an aftermath going into a mahogany seven string im building along with a warpig neck i hope it works well.

i loved the warpig in the bridge but the damn thing was so high output. seriously people underestimate that thing. still the response is wonderful sounds great i just missed something. the distortions got this amazing low mid chunk and has a spongy bottom for that really satisfying chug. i seriously just spent 5 minutes just chugging cause i loved the sound lol.

11. guy in latvia

guy in latvia SS.org Regular

wow, im suprised, i cant believe how much more i like the distortion! for the type of gritty raw tone that i like, the distortion is far superior sounding to the others!

does anyone know the specs of Keith's S7? I can see its a maple neck with a rosewood board. what about the body?

12. rippedflesh89

rippedflesh89 SS.org Regular

1.) Aftermaths - i just love how tight they sound... incredible pickups... although i think i like my miracle mans a tad more, but its hard to compare pickups when the aftermaths are in a mahogany body guitar and my miracle mans are in a basswood body guitar.

2.) Warpigs - i love how pissed off they sound, yet they stay pretty tight and focused.

3.) Distortions - maybe even more aggressive sounding than the warpig, but it seemed a bit too "fizzy" for me

4.) Invaders - never really liked these pickups... this video just clarifies that for me... too fat and muddy what for i use them for

13. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

1) tied between warpig and invader, depends on the style. owned invaders never owned or played warpigs
    2)distortion, a bit too harsh for me here but i've used them before, in certain guitars they slay imo
    3)aftermath, doesn't do anything for me just based on the clips never played them in person

14. Zombie13

Zombie13 Guitartist

Nice video, I need another 7 with a Warpig :D

1. Warpig (very balanced!)
    2. Aftermath (nice and tight)
    3. Invader (more low end emphasized)
    4. Distortion (very fizzy?)

15. Animus

Animus SS.org Regular

Yeah I saw this yesterday. Pretty much convinced me Bareknuckle pickups are not worth the extreme markup and hype they get. They sound good but I don't know if they sound 3 or 4 times more good.

And the Kemper sounds awesome!

16. shaggydogJV

shaggydogJV SS.org Regular

I think I enjoyed the aftermath over any of the others to be honest. The invader was a close second, with the warpig and distortion tying for last place. Something about those two were completely off putting for me.

17. rippedflesh89

seriously???

this video proves it to me that they ARE worth the money... to me, the BKPs just sound a lot more crisp and organic than the other two... whether its the aggressive punch of warpig or the crazy tightness of the aftermath...

ive played quite a bit of different pickups and once i got my d-activators, i didnt think i would ever find a better pickup.... hell, i thought they were so good that there was no way the BKPs would be worth 2x the price... but i had no idea what to get one christmas, there was nothing i really wanted or needed... so i figured i would try some BKPs, and needless to say, i will probably never use another brand again (unless its a q-tuner or lundgren, those have me pretty curious as well)..

thats my two cents

18. cyril v

cyril v SS Contributor

Thanks for the comparisons Keith, wherever you are.

I'm not surprised at all that the Warpig was one of my favs from this test, since it is one of my favorites regardless. What is surprising is how well that Duncan Distortion performed, that tone is right up there with the Warpig in this test IMO. I've never used one before, but it will definitely be on my radar now. Invader sounded nice as well. Aftermath? Not my cup of tea at all.

19. Animus

Animus SS.org Regular

Opinions and taste always vary I guess. What you perceive as crazy tightness I perceive as crazy thinness for example. :) In general the BK's just sounded more dry which is not a bad thing if that's what your into. I liked the Warpig the best of the two BKs in this test.

My favorites in order: Distortion, Warpig, Invader, Aftermath.

20. rippedflesh89

to each their own... tone is a very personal thing... so far i havent really seen one identical list in thread which is pretty cool