[wanted] Practice material ideas & suggestions

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Wiz, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Wiz

Wiz SS.org Regular

So!

For a change I'm going to be working this summer and I'll have a scary amount of free time at night, which I figured out I should should put at good use by practicing some good old shredding. Now, I was reading the other day this article: http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?ch...1C-14C1-8F9E83414B7F4945&pageNumber=1&catID=2
    and it inspired me to try to push myself to a new level every time I play, just to make sure whatever I'm doing is actually not pure rehearsal of the level I already achieved but actually something that will help me to progress.

I have the music theory covered, I'm going to try to finish the "Elementary Rudiments of Music" by Barbara Wharram with all the fancy exercises inside, but that's not really going to help me rip. (and my jazz guitar teacher will decapitate me if I put it off any longer)

I've been working on the famous Molto Perpetuo tune ( http://www.alloutguitar.com/education/lessons/shred/the_art_of_picking_ii_molto_perpetuo ) for a while and it's been helping me a lot because it's great for alternate picking (in fact now I can barely do downpicks in a row because it feels unnatural) and you can always push the envelope a little bit by setting the metronome higher.

I've also been looking into the "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar" by Troy Stetina and it's pretty good too, although I'm not sure how far that's going to take me.

I was wondering if anybody knew of (not necessarily similar) good material I could look into and practice with, in order to push my limits. I'm a huge fan of Michael Romeo and Shawn Lane, and so I wouldn't mind having to deal with sweep picking (which I'll eventually have to master), exotic scales and serious speeds :) I'd eventually like to sound at least a bit like they do, although I wouldn't want to be a copy.

Thanks!

2. Gilbucci

Gilbucci Dude..for real?

3. Wiz

Wiz SS.org Regular

I actually have the dark chapter and I love those songs. Most of them are from Divine Wings of Tragedy I think. Some of that stuff is a real toughy :D

Btw I was working on Michael's Paganini Concerto in B minor, that's a sweet track.

4. leatherface2

leatherface2 SS.org Regular

i practice scale afrter scale,chord after chord so this might sound dumb to some but im gonna see how many cover songs i can learn all the way through solos and all in the next few months.im wonderin if this will take me somewhere because i really hit a wall.practicing is not really fun any more so im gonna make it fun.i hope

5. Gilbucci

Gilbucci Dude..for real?

Molto Perpetuo is an awesome alt. picking tune!

6. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Dude, get 'Speed Mechanics...'! Even if it looks really dry at first glance, it'll do wonders for your musicianship.

7. Gilbucci

Gilbucci Dude..for real?

I've got speed mechanics somewhere, I should take another look at it.

8. Alex-D33

Alex-D33 Golderak is King Contributor

Who's video is it ...:yesway:
    would like to know...

9. Gilbucci

Gilbucci Dude..for real?

It's a book by Troy Stetina, not a vid, I don't think.

10. Alex-D33

Alex-D33 Golderak is King Contributor

cool... :yesway: one of many other books i have to get ..damn it never stops ..:lol:

11. Wiz

Wiz SS.org Regular

I remember reading about Michael Romeo mentioning that he went through a Michael Batio tutorial or book or something like that, which made him super uber.

12. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

Just play all the time what you like. You'll get really good like that.

The MR stuff is pretty crazy. wowie!

13. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

That would be Michael Angelo's old Star-licks video. It's interesting viewing, but to be honest, you already have to have your technique fairly together to get the most out of it.

14. March_of_the_Mutes

March_of_the_Mutes SS.org Regular

if anybody wants any troy stenina books i have a few scanned and downloaded onto my computer that id be willing to send so someone wouldnt have to shovel out 20 bucks for each one.
    I have:
    Heavy Metal Lead Guitar Vol 1
    Heavy Metal Lead Guitar Vol 2
    Total Rock Guitar
    Speed and Thrash Metal
    Speed Mechanics
    and Metal Rhythm Guitar

15. Jachop

Jachop tihi =)

Hey, it would be much appreciated if you sent me Speed Mechanics. :hbang: I'll pm you my email. Thanks in advance!

16. March_of_the_Mutes

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OCVJ7QUF
    theres speed mechanics uploaded.
    You need a program called winrar to unzip it once downloaded. You can get it at download.com i think. Ill upload the rest over the course of the week.

17. Gilbucci

Gilbucci Dude..for real?

I don't think the mods would appreciate that, because one time, I wanted to upload 'Wild Stringdom' and Drew told me that no one is allowed to upload material that is meant to be bought.

18. March_of_the_Mutes

oo i wasnt aware of that, sorry. I gues ill remove the link.

19. JBroll

JBroll Hard-On For Freedomâ„¢ Contributor

Quick correction for one of the early posts:

The song is actually Moto Perpetuo (Perpetual Motion), not Molto Perpetuo (Very Perpetual One) - Paganini's Op. 11, a full five minutes long if you're playing it at the breakneck 'original' speed. That tabbed version is incomplete and very incorrect - it is also less beneficial for your alternate picking than the 'real' version, which can likely be found with a small amount of searching through either classical guitar tab sites or proper sheet music distributors.

At IBreatheMusic.com Eric Vandenberg put up a more accurate, although still incomplete, version of this piece. The best workout you're going to get for your alternate picking, though, will still be the full version, so I highly recommend that you pick it up - all of the neoclassical/shred stuff you find laying around will basically add up to the stuff you would learn just playing this piece through, finding and fixing mistakes, and bringing it all up to speed.

Jeff

20. Wiz

Wiz SS.org Regular

Well, send us a link to the full thing then :p I wouldn't mind to know. I was aware that it was a digest version of the thing, didn't know that the real one was much better though.