Waiting on other People

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by exarchangel, Dec 2, 2015.

1. exarchangel

exarchangel Guitarist

Recently, and actually over the course of the last year or two, I've found myself having to wait FOREVER on other band mates in order to get ANYTHING DONE.

I'm not talking just about booking rehearsals or gigs or anything, I mean like something as basic as tracking their parts for an album, coming up with money to put aside each month to fund t-shirts, CDs, anything really.

The worst part of it all is that people don't take the time to practice their parts.

Actually no- the worst part is people not getting their .... together enough to make sure their gear functions properly and stays in tune for a performance.

It's pretty goddamn embarrassing opening up for Kataklysm, Incantation, Aborted, and the likes and having their .... not work properly you know? I feel like it makes me look like .... as a musician, and I'm getting pretty tired of dealing with it.

I just feel like the spark is gone from the band, but the album that i've written close to 100% of is still not done and it almost seems like it isn't going to be moving forward with years of effort on my part put into it.

I'm thinking of starting up a solo project of sorts and just recording/producing/distributing material on my own.
    -Does anyone have any experience in this?

Should I bother sticking with the band at this point?

Ps. How can I actually make a bit of money off of this?

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Make money? Like, as in currency? Could like start applying for jobs or something. I got my job through a temp service.

3. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Sounds like you already have your answer. I went through the same situation with my electronic industrial project, though it was just me and my singer, that's it. I do all the music, recording, mixing, and mastering and also basically pay for EVERYTHING. After we finished our second album I was excited to start playing out live and apparently was putting too much pressure on my singer and his wife and we got into an argument and he quit the band. So I released the album to only a couple dozen sales or so, so a total f*cking waste of the time I put into it over all these years. But, c'est la vie. Nothing I can do about it.

So yeah, it sounds like you're in the same situation and probably headed toward getting into a spat with them if you apply more pressure. Just go at it on your own or find new members. You need to be in a good feeling situation or your art is going to be a burden more than anything.

Rev.

4. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

If they are not driven and not willing to contribute, cut them out. Plain and simple.

A band is supposed to be a group of "like-minded individuals" with a common goal, and they clearly are not on the same wavelength as you. Cut them out.

5. Michael_Ten

Michael_Ten blergh yas

Very little money in metal, don't get your hopes up there. Music, and metal in particular, needs to be a labor of passion. If your band members don't have the passion, they are dead weight. It's hard enough to start a metal band these days without having to pull the weight of 2-4 other people.

Being in a band is a lot like being in a relationship. If you're not on the same page as far as exactly what you want out of the relationship/band, there's going to be a lot of dissonance. Just like if you are dating a girl who you want to marry but she's still sleeping around and doesn't want to be tied down, if you're more committed and ambitious with your band than your band members, it's just not going to work. Either go solo or find other band members who have the same goals as you. Nothing wrong with going solo, either, many great bands have been started that way and then evolved into something bigger and attracted like-minded individuals to form a full band.

6. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

Tough to find decent band members around these parts, my friend. Would be worth it to start jamming with some different people and see how that goes.

7. exarchangel

exarchangel Guitarist

Damn right it is. The Ottawa area is pretty bad for finding any sort of metal musicians. Even in terms of venues, bands, etc we don't have very much. We basically have Deckuf, Mavericks, Ritual, and the oh so out of reach Bronson Center. (plus other smaller venues). I don't know what it is but every band I've been in we just get stuck in the same loop of getting paid some ....ty $100 for a gig, then due to bull.... and drama we don't play for another 4-6 months, making band income relatively nill.

8. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Dude, Protest the Hero made it from Whitby, ON, which has a smaller population than Ottawa. I mean, according to Wikipedia, Ottawa has an estimated population of 943,260 as of 2013. I live in a town of 30,000, you can definitely find other band mates!

Thing is, the longer you waste your time with these hacks that just like the idea of being in a band, the longer it will take you to find the real musicians with dedication and commitment. You know what you need to do. Good luck!

9. Mangle

Mangle Breaker

Never easy when it looks like others are losing their focus. I've been there.... don't let it eat at you, ask them what's up. Call everyone to the mat, tell them what you think is going on. Question their commitment. If they think things like girlfriends or other outside relationships take presidence over the music you guys make together, you've got your answer. Especially if you're young.... seriously!

10. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

Whitby is basically a suburb of Toronto. A gigantic population centre. PTH are a Toronto band.

11. svart

svart Far Beyond Metal

IMO... Step up or step out. In the end they are wasting you time, money and effort. Three very costly things in today's world.

Waiting for members to change is mostly like waiting for the bus on your couch. All you do is wait and hope for it, but in the end it won't change and you lost precious time and energy that you could've invested in better ways.

Just my :2c:

12. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I currently have a friend in your position.

All the other members in the band are ambivalent, he's the only one working on promotion, he wrote all the material (although he keeps giving the whole band songwriting credit because he feels that they are contributing to the arrangement, which is not the same thing), and he's had more drummers in the band than Spinal Tap.

I've advised him to go the Diggable Planets route and just hire musicians while retaining full ownership of the band's name and products for himself.

He is feeling pressured to make his current situation work because he's currently promoting their new recording, and he doesn't have a huge amount of world-weary experience in how these things generally work out.

----

My recommendation is to assume that these guys are not going to suddenly do what they need to in order to make it to the next level. They want any success to be handed to them.

Therefore, you can keep working on new material, but don't assume that these guys are going to part of any given part of it.

On the plus side, when I've written material and eventually collected enough material of caliber, I have generally run across those who are not only more competent at certain instruments, but also have run across the subgroup which is also motivated.

And that becomes the nucleus of a future group.

I'm sorry I don't have a miracle tale of how these situations resolve in a way which is easy for the person/people acting as a driving force. Hopefully though, you''ll be able to look at things realistically and decide to stop throwing good and valuable time after bad.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

13. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I'm kind of in a similar situation, but I'm the one who changed my attitude recently. We had all been kind of "We'll do this for fun and gig as much as we can but we all have wives/gf/kids or whatever (I don't personally have any kids) so we're not going to be hitting the road for weeks on ends, etc."

Now I'm single, no kids, no pets, no responsibilities, and a sick amount of paid vacation at my work and I wanna go hard. But I'm the only one (now) that has time to put much rehearsal in outside of scheduled practice, I'm the only one that can consistently make it to other local shows to network/promote, and I'm the only one with any real expendable income most of the time. I'm thinking I'm probably going to put the extra energy into a solo project or finding another band that can tour that I won't have to put ALL of the legwork into, but in my situation I feel like it would be unfair to quit or say "I'm taking my music and going elsewhere." because of where we started. Plus finding guys that are not only capable, but willing to play our .... is damn near impossible.

One thing that grinds my gears more than anything though is people that don't do ANY solo practice. With the technology available there's no reason for a band to spend 3-4 two hour rehearsals working on learning a piece of music. We decided on an arrangement, I record guitar to a click, I send drums/bass the track with just click and guitar, bass player gets GP6 tabs...... so how come ya'll don't know the song two weeks later?

14. exarchangel

exarchangel Guitarist

Yeah I started writing my own material, plus I've got a bachelor of music degree behind me so I can sing, play piano, guitar, bass, and compose at a decent level, I think i'll put out an EP and see where it goes. I know enough people that would just come along and play the music that it wouldn't matter much if it was my sole property (the band), so maybe I'll try that, and if people want to actually join it, i'll have a buy-in price like for senior partners at large firms

15. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

You mean, you'll pay them to play your music, lol.

16. exarchangel

exarchangel Guitarist

-UPDATE-

So now I've been jamming with a new guitarist (better than I am), and a drummer, but am still holding out until a few things go through with the other band before i bail out, but this new sort of trio has MUCH higher ability, and alot more exciting material..

Best of all, they contacted me first, apparently one of my students from more than a year ago had given them my contact information and said to ask me to join (after he crashed and burned on his audition).

World works in mysterious ways I guess.

--But what do you guys think? I'm currently learning all the new material and playing catchup, but when I'm there, should I share with them the material I had been putting together on my own or should I ride it out for a bit and see what happens?

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I know the original post is old, and situation has probably changed, but I read from the beginning and my first thought is that step 1 should be to relax and remember that all of your other band members are people with lives and priorities etc. that are never going to line up 100% with your own. I've got two (sometimes three) bands going at any given time, and sometimes I'm one of the ones being lazy and not learning stuff or contributing much. It happens. Sometimes work is more important. Sometimes family is more important. Sometimes you have to take time to work on personal sh*t. Capitalize on the times that everyone is there and focused and contributing, for sure, but no need to panic during slower times. My "main" band sometimes takes a huge amount of time to get stuff done, just cause life happens. Took well over a year to put out a 5 song CD of material that was already written and ready to go. Ottawa/Gatineau has a lot of talent to pull from if you need a second/side band or something like that, even if a lot of bands here with any staying power seem to made up of the same circles of people sometimes. They're just hard to find sometimes, but they're out there.

Maybe talk to the old band to see if you even need to bail at all. More bands is more better.

18. MrYakob

MrYakob SS.org Regular

My vote is with this, the more creative outlets the better and perhaps you won't feel as frustrated with the old band if you have something else on the go too. Also, I'm loving all the Ott/Gat members in this thread :hbang: