Wait a second. THIS is a Bernie Rico job?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Chris, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

I'm probably late to the party on this one, but this can't be a finished product, right?

Attached Files:

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

3. Chris

Hard to tell by the pic - the routes are cleaned up in the final product, right?

Edit: Not trying to bash the thing, btw, it's a fucking gorgeous guitar, but I'm just uber-suprised at routes like that from someone as renown for pristine work as BRJ.

4. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

I'd imagine they are but the fact the truss rods are in, the fretboard is already glued on, and the finish is on the guitar, leads me to think otherwise.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Well, it IS pretty haggard - they're crooked, uneven, and they zig-zag a bit. I'm curious to see a picture of the final product to see if Bernie cleaned it up a bit before he shipped, though again why he didn't just do it before he sprayed is a bit beyond me...

6. Chris

Yeah, that was my thought as well. :\

7. Elysian

Elysian Banned

[​IMG]
    i just noticed this, look at that binding, its like it was dirty in the binding route or someone touched the glue with a dirty hand... the binding route where the binding meets the neck

8. Chris

I'd like to keep this on the topic of those routes, not nitpicking the thing to death please. That could be a number of things.

9. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

They look identical in the finished pic to me :shrug:

[​IMG]

10. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

^
    Agreed.

Also, Hauch looks fucking huge. :rofl:

11. REDBEARD

REDBEARD SS.org Regular

When I change strings next, if I remember, I'll take a pic. I havent even looked at it. Honestly, i couldnt give two shits about what the truss rod routes look like. It has absolutely no bearing on playability or the setup of the guitar. Bernie's quality on everything that i've seen is insane. The guitar plays better than anything Ive ever played before. I guess I dont understand the need to nit pick to hell, something that is never seen and doesnt affect anything. People need to chill out. The man made me a 100% hand-made guitar in less than three months with specs that I havent seen anyone else do. I feel priveliged to own the first 8 string he's made and plan on buying another at some point.

12. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

It's easy to start nitpicking when it costs so much. For a lot of members 2-3000 dollars is a lot of money and I think it's natural to get a little picky about something like that, when even cheap ibanez copies comes with good routing.
    BUT, you are absolutely right, all that matters is that you're happy with it.

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I agree, playability and tone is the ultimate concern here. It's just if I saw a guitar with routing that rough on it, I'd sort of freak and start pretty much tearing it apart to make sure the rest of the work was cleaner than that.

14. Chris

:yesway: Definitely not trying to rip on your guitar dude, it looks fantastic. It's just that those routes in particular aren't "kind of bad", they're awful, and if I were you I'd talk to BR and ask him what the hell was up with it.

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Honestly, I wouldn't wait until the next time you change the strings - it takes all of fifteen seconds with a small screwdriver to remove the cover, and you can do it with the strings at tension.

16. Chris

^ You're certainly due either a small discount or a rework of them if you ask me. Everything else on that guitar is stellar but you paid giant coin for it - get what you paid for man. You'll have that guitar a long time.

17. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

yeah when i first saw that i said "whats with the truss rod access"?
    and i got a bucng of, nothings wrong with it, it perfect :shrug:
    looks like its just us chris

18. Elysian

Elysian Banned

if you look at all the other pictures on the "good times at the rico shop"(or whatever its called) thread, he does all his truss rod routes the same way, and its obvious he does them the same way i was taught, which is by hand. thats not to say he couldn't make a template and have a standard route, but i think its pretty obvious he uses a dremel to shape his channels. that seems like standard bernie rico jr practice, from the pics i saw in that other thread, and its highly unlikely you'd get a discount. look at the double neck V in that thread, the routes don't match, at all. maybe he's of the state of mind that its covered up, and therefore, shouldn't be worried about beyond what he's already doing?

19. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

You know, I've finally figured out why I don't mind the headstock on the 8-string and hate it on the 7... it's less dramatically "floppy" on the 8 in order to make space for reasonable string pull and all those tuners. Cool.

Those channels do look messy... personally I might be a teeny bit miffed, even if it is hidden and is a stunning guitar and all other respects (which it is on both counts), as I'd know it was there and it would niggle me constantly, cause i'm weird like that.

20. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

i'd send it back and tell me to make me another fucking guitar done right, i expect precision with a luthiers craft.

but the main part is the owner of this beast is happy no matter what and thats what matters