Wacken 2018

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Chiba666, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

SO the mud hasn't even started to dry up after this years festival and the first bands have been announced for 2018.

W:O:A 2018 - 02.08. - 04.08.2018
    With: Nightwish, Running Wild, Doro, Dirkschneider, Arch Enemy, In Extremo, Amorphis, Epica, Sepultura, Firewind, Watain, Knorkator, Belphegor, Bannkreis, Deserted Fear and many more acts!

Was pretty excited with this first announcement and with it being my 40th next Year and not to mention 10 years since I first went to Wacken, I convinced the wife that I wanted to go back for my 40th. She agreed to go for a 4th time which is a result.

Now 210 euro a ticket almost put me off but I got in on the pre order last night and managed to snag two of the first 10k tickets, the ones with the cheaper price (220 normally) as well as a T-Shirt. Think I will pay the extra and go for the pre pitched tent as all my camping gear is in storage and means we can travel light with having to fly in from Cyprus.

Any SSO members been to Wacken before or plan on going again.

Fingers crossed Ensiferum, Behemoth, Dimmu, Satyricon, Wintersun, Wolf and Gruesome are added to the bill.

2. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I've been twice, 2006 and 2011, both times were amazing. Some of the highlights were I got to see Emperor(It was the "A night of Emperial Wrath" show), Nevermore with Broderick, Children of Bodom when they were really on top of their live performance, Avantasia with a ton of guests, Barlow's last show with Iced Earth and a ton of others.

I haven't been to a a festival since 2011 because we got a really good metal events agency in Ireland who booked 5 of the 7 bands on your wishlist in recent years so I haven't needed to go abroad to see anyone. I'm tempted to go next year since I really want to see Nightwish with Floor and Amorphis on such a big stage. The mud did look pretty nasty this year but thats just luck of the draw.

Blytheryn likes this.
  3. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I think at this point mud is guaranteed. Last year was pretty crazy.

4. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Last few years the mud seems to have been brutal. That time of year in North Germany, storms are nailed on to happen.

Forgot Enslaved had an album out, so hopefully they will show up.

My first was 2008 with Maiden, Carcass, At the Gates, Nightwish, Bodom and man more. A Great introduction to the festival. Did 3 years running, had kids moved and this is the first chance to return.

5. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

I've never been there although am a metal head and I live only 30 minutes away from Wacken.

For my taste the kind of bands/music that is represented there is a bit wide spread. There's death metal, black metal, metalcore but also hard rock, heavy metal and punk.
    I would only watch a few of them...and considering the price tag and as well as the fact that there are a lot of other fantastic festivals around these days...I consider Wacken one of the less attractive festivals.

So most likely I won't go in 2018 either.

6. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

Mud in Germany is just the norm in this festivals...
    About wacken, I have always wanted to go, at least once in a lifetime, but after seeing Volbeat as main band... I am sorry, but no.
    Hellfest, Graspop, resurrection fest are more interesting to me right now.

In any case, I am not a festival fan, but because of living circunstances it is the only time I could meet all my friends together at the same time.

7. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

I agree with both of you the line up is varied with a large number of not so heavy bands each year. Hellfest always looks pretty good.