VSTi's and Reaper not working.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Holomovement, May 15, 2018.

1. Holomovement

Holomovement SS.org Regular

So, I’m new to recording and I've been trying to record a few songs/riffs.

I'm currently using Reaper as my DAW, Bias FX plug-in, and EZdrummer 2 for drums.
    The problem I'm having is when I start adding more and more tracks to Reaper the playback gets laggy and almost unlistenable.

As a test, I recorded 4 guitar tracks and added drums to it and when I hit playback all I could hear was fuzz. No drums or guitar. Then I turned the fx off of 2 of the tracks and it started to get better.

Basically, what I realized is the more tracks I add (especially ezdrummer) the worst the quality gets.

I'm not sure what to do next. Rather if its buy some sort of equipment to fix the problem or possibly some sort of software malfunction. If anyone could help that would be great.

2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Dude what's your comp specs? If it's low and you're adding a ton of stuff this would be a problem...

3. Holomovement

I'm using a Lenovo Yoga 720. Intel core I5, 8 GB ram.

I've been looking into investing into a desktop of some sort because I was thinking it was a processing or ram problem.

Any suggestions?

4. Holomovement

I'm using a Lenovo Yoga 720. Intel core I5, 8 GB ram. I've been looking into investing into a desktop of some sort because I was thinking it was a processing or ram problem.

Any suggestions?

5. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Hmm...there’s going to be people popping in that are more knowledgeable than I am on this sort of thing, but I don’t think the i5 is the problem, I think it’d be the RAM.

I was getting into bigger orchestral projects earlier this year and my 8GB laptop couldn’t handle the load; went to a laptop with an i7 and 16 GB of RAM and no more issues.

Shouldn’t be that big of a deal if you’re just running 2 guitar tracks and some EZDrummer, but I know I had issues with EZD as well back then.

6. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

If you had RAM issues the plugins would likely just crash. I use FL studio as a VSTi for Reaper on my temporary shitty laptop and if I add a second track from it the whole thing just explodes. If you have playback lagging your CPU might not be able to keep up. i5/i7 doesn't really mean all that much. What matters is your CPU clock speed, cores, and how well the software developers of your chosen DAW and plugins manage multithreading (ok i7 wins for this part).

7. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

did you try raising the buffer size? the more effects and vsti´s you load up, the more the cpu has to work. and when the buffer size is too low, the cpu just doesn´t have enough time to precess everything, so the playback gets crackly and laggy.

8. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

Setting your ISO buffer to max length when mixing. Also, could be your harddrive speed playing a part, since your cpu is running real time and also requesting data from you hdd. I always render freeze midi drums when I am tracking guitars

9. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

If you have your buffer set low to live track with BIAS you're not going to be able to run a bunch of other VSTi's without an issue. What interface and drivers are you using. I get this issue when I'm using ASIO4ALL for late night stuff with just my headphones plugged in to my laptop (which is the exact same model as yours), but I've mixed projects with 40+ tracks including Steven Slate drums, multiple synths, and stacks of VST FX on all the other tracks without a hiccup, so I don't think its you computer. Upgrading to a desktop with maxed out RAM and new processor would definitely make life easier down the line, though.

10. Holomovement

I've been looking into getting a desktop in the near future if i can't fix this problem. What should I be looking for exactly? I'm assuming somthing with i7, 16gb ram?? I'm also planning on going with an axe fx for tracking guitars in the future and if I'm not mistaken I wouldn't have to make it a VST, so would that fix the problem?

11. Holomovement

Do I raise the buffer size on BIAS and ezdrummer, on my DAW, or both? Also what should i be setting it to?

12. Holomovement

I'm using a focusrite scarlett 2i2. I'm actually looking to switching to a desktop in the near future.

13. rezafelayati

rezafelayati self-claimed ERG nerd

can you try to give a snapshot of your buffer size and how you set up each of your VSTs? Have you set the Focusrite as your ASIO device on "Preference"?

IMO, I dont think the problem is in your laptop (I might be wrong tho). Right now, I am using a Lenovo IdeaCentre with Intel Core i3, 1TB internal storage, and 4GB RAM, and I can run up to 40 tracks with EZDrummer / Superior Drummer / GGD, Line 6 Helix Native / Mercuriall, and various plugins for mixing with no problem at all.

Its kinda strange to see a laptop with a higher specs than mine getting a problem like that.