VSK/ Brett Marino guitars complaint - Issue has been resolved

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by KnightBrolaire, Feb 26, 2018.

1. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I feel like if you've given someone a large sum of money, there should be some sort of standard set in place for communications. Something like an email update every two weeks, minimum. Something to that effect.

lewis likes this.
  2. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

4. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Pussy Melter

I’d be pissed to be cheated out of the chance to take a 60% loss on reselling a custom guitar a few weeks after fishing for likes with a NGD. I doubt lawyering up will be worth it, but here’s hoping something good comes from it.

DevinShidaker likes this.
  5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

You'd think that when people go radio silent it's because they are buckling down and getting shit done..but it almost never turns out that way.
    People with good time management skills can spend a few minutes on social media and still get shit done.
    People with bad getting things done skills go radio silent and are just ticking around.
    I know this because I have terrible getting things done skills.

6. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Man, why're you so unnecessarily cynical all the time? Every post from you is just more pessimistic bs.

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

i mean...he's not wrong tho.

8. Andrew Lloyd Webber

There’s an “ignore list” option for sparing your feelings without us getting into which sentiments are unnecessary to communicate, or the pessimism in assuming that each post of mine will be more pessimistic.

Edit: On-topic, I just checked out the OP of the build thread.

The guy posted a hyperbolic advertisement for the builder of a guitar he’s never tried; because it doesn’t exist. He literally mentioned the guy alongside established brands, and that was the indicator of quality. I wish this stuff was less common; because that original thread is going to mislead somebody amongst the droves of hype-susceptible sso lemmings to pay this guy a deposit.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    lewis likes this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ive used ignore list on a few posters on here for what its worth. People probably have with me too haha.

100% use it. Since my headless copy debacle Ive been alot less stressed on here thanks to it.

Andrew Lloyd Webber likes this.
  10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

If the timeframe agreed upon was April 2018, and it's still February when I'm posting this, then I'd say that my reservations before are still valid for another month and some change. I just love how so many folks here are so quick to jump on the bandwagon against this builder. Yeah, odds are fair that he's a scammer, since 20-30% of new builders, by my accounting, are scammy. The fact that this particular builder is taking so long, when the build thread acknowledges that the customer expected the guitar in April 2018, then this thread has so much moaning about the delays...well...frankly, it's purely speculative and irresponsible at this point in time.

The other matter, though, which I initially brushed off, was the use of the left over wood. I think that might be more of an issue than I initially made it out to be, although I'm not clear whether the customer requested the wood be returned or not.

I mean, I'm not siding against the customer, because there are obviously some issues here. Rather, I'm saying that it's too early to draw conclusions. If you hire a brand new luthier to build you something extra special and you are paying a lot of money, then you are taking a huge risk, period. Huge risks sometimes pay out and sometimes cost you. If I take my car to a brand new mechanic, or I eat at a brand new restaurant, or even if I buy fuel at a brand new petrol station, I'm risking my health or safety and of course my money. At least with a guitar build, there aren't really any realistic safety risks.

I've taken a lot of risks with guitars in the past, with a 75% success rate. One thing I never did, though, was complain publicly about a builder before I knew for a fact that that builder had lied to me or screwed me over.

Walshy and pondman like this.
  11. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

There is another side to this story, Brett is laid up with a busted back and apparently that FB post was posted over a month before they agreed the guitar would be done.
    This is all I know but as bostjan just mentioned this is a bit of an irrational rant by the customer.

Walshy and MAGGOTBRAIN like this.
  12. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Perhaps the thread should be shifted to complain about Pondman not selling me guitars.

13. KnightBrolaire

that's what every pondman buildthread is for :p

14. itsmadisondude

itsmadisondude SS.org Regular

Brett also has been dealing with a pretty severe back injury to the point of barely being able to walk or sit in an upright position for a long time now and goes to physical therapy for it. Imagine how difficult it must be to not only sit upright without immense pain but then also work on a guitar. Lack of communication / radio silence is rough. I’m not excusing that, but pretty harsh to add this dude to a list of “scummy builders” when it seems to me like he’s been given the short end of the stick at this point in time. Just my two cents.

Walshy, Stilicho and pondman like this.
  15. KnightBrolaire

see it's fine if he's actually injured, but not communicating that to his customers is disingenuous. Not updating his guitar page with that info isn't good either, since that's why I thought he was going down the decibel/blackwater path. It's not as though he can't go on facebook or shoot an email from a bed. Maybe he did tell the customer and the customer is being crazy, i don't know. :shrug:

16. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Exactly, you don't know. That's why we probably shouldn't copy and paste every random facebook complaint to SSO...

Stilicho likes this.
  17. Dalcan

Dalcan SS.org Regular

I got a custom build from Bret 1.5 years ago. He blew my expectations out of the water and the build quality is fantastic. Better than my PRS Brazilian top 10. He's a one guy shop doing a bunch of builds, and still made time to communicate clearly and effectively with me. Would definitely buy again from him. Sorry you've had a bad experience.

Walshy, MAGGOTBRAIN and pondman like this.
  18. JMO831

JMO831 Consultant

Hey guys, OP here.

For broader awareness, I want to relay that Brett has made everything right. I also want to state that I owned one of Brett's guitars before doing this build. I've had my hands on a lot of high-end guitars, and I still stand by my original post that Brett is one of the most talented luthiers I know.

A lot of good points have been made in this thread, and I do admit that I could've handled this situation better. The important point is that everything has been made right, and that Brett is someone with character, which cannot be said about many builders out there today.

- Jonathan

Walshy, skeels, cwhitey2 and 5 others like this.
  19. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

Nice one :) I've said it before ... Brett is one of the best out there.

skeels, MAGGOTBRAIN and JMO831 like this.
  20. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

If this is resolved now is there a way of changing the thread title somehow to not affect his reputation?...

Stilicho, MrYakob, bostjan and 4 others like this.