Voodoo Lab GCX + POD HD500 help!!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by tasty jam, Jan 29, 2015.

1. tasty jam

tasty jam SS.org Regular

I want to make my live shows easier to tone switch , so I'm looking at getting the Voodoo Lab GCX to put an end at my tap dancing carreer.
    I had a couple questions about it that I cannot find legit answers for..

Can I control the GCX with a POD HD500 via midi? Just as good as the Ground Control Pro?

And,

Can the GCX save presents with different tones on the same pedal?
    Ex: if I had a flanger pedal cranked at 10, saved it as patch 1. Then patch 2 I wanted the flanger at 5, so I save it as that...when I go back to patch 1, will it be at 10 still or now at 5?

..might sound like stupid questions, but someones gotta ask em haha.

Thanks!

2. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I dont think the HD500 sends any midi data other than program change. With real pedals and the GCX, you are limited to the settings on the actual real pedal (unless the pedal has midi and patches like an Eventide or similar). If you want diff flavors of flanger you will need more than one flanger. If you want things more simple you may wanna settle for the fx in the HD500, it all the M13 stuff and I remember them being pretty decent. The GCX seems a waste unless you can call up the loops remotely, and that would require the Ground Control or an eprommed FCB 1010 or similar.

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Exactly this. The GCX won't really help you unless you have real pedals in addition to the POD.

The GCX is hard to program and basically useless unless it's paired with the Ground Control Pro. I run a GCP/GCX combo and love it, but if I were using a different controller I'd have gone with the Rocktron looper since it's easier to use with other controllers.

4. tasty jam

tasty jam SS.org Regular

ok, the pedal question was just a shot in the dark haha, thanks for answering!!

Also, so just to clarify, the POD isn't being used at all for sounds or anything. I would just be using it as a controller. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e.....TMJk <the pod used a midi controller..
    so instead of the m13, put the GCX in its place. or is it totally different?

5. TheWarAgainstTime

The GCX is only an audio switcher. No effects, no sounds or anything unless you put pedals in the loops, no switching without a GCP or similar. The M13 is a combined controller and effects unit, and the POD is a one-stop-shop controller (less versatile than the M13) effects (same as M13) and amp/cab sims.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What are you wanting to control with the POD? Are you using a "real" amp? Do you have physical pedals in addition to the POD that you want to be able to switch via midi? Like op1e mentioned, the effects in the POD/M13 are pretty good, and could be saved on a patch-by-patch basis as far as settings.

6. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I was contemplating grabbing one to run with my EVH/1101 rig to run real pedals. You saying the relay switching wont work and there is no presets? Also wanted one to perhaps change channels on my Peavey Ultra, but guess another G Major would be better I guess since I already have the cable.

7. tasty jam

tasty jam SS.org Regular

I got a Blackstar HT 50, with a maxon od808, boss ns2, bbe sonic maximizer and a mxr 10 band eq. I have the eq controlled on the floor, aswell as the channel switcher for the blackstar.

the sound is great, I love it.

I tried at one point in time to add the pod before I got all the pedals, and it sounded like a bag of dicks. so the pod has basically been collecting dust, although I use it in my 'studio' from time to time.

so what I thought was I could pick up the gcx, have all my pedals, including my blackstar run through it, and I could use the pod to control the gcx via midi, so I didn't have to go out and get the gcp if its just a midi controller..like the pod could be, and save like 600 bones.

8. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

You want the Rocktron Patchmate instead of the GCX. Voodoo Lab stuff is designed to work really well with other Voodoo Lab stuff, but it's a pain in the ass to use just one component. The Patchmate can save presets, so you can just program the combinations of pedals that you want into the Patchmate and call them up with the Pod.

9. TheWarAgainstTime

If the cable is TRS-to-DIN then all you'd need is an adapter that's female stereo to dual mono male to use the GCX to do your switching. I used to use my GCX to change channels and turn the EQ on and off on my old Mark V. The GCX does do relay switching, I was just saying that it's more work to program presets with controllers other than the GCP, though it is possible.

If you aren't using the POD for any sound, then I'd sell it. You could get around $300 for it to put towards a switching system. Also, if you aren't currently using a rack you could save a bundle by getting the Rocktron Patchmate Loop 8 Floor. It has all of the same inputs/outputs and functionality as the GCX but is the controller and looper combined into one floor unit. This saves money on having to buy two units and saves headache trying to program those two units together. Plus you don't have many pedals and relay-controlled amp functions, so getting a whole rack and stuff would be overkill.

You could have one loop for the Maxon, one for the NS-2, another for the maximizer, one for the EQ, and one for each of the footswitchable functions of the HT-50 (you'll need a male stereo to dual female mono adapter cable if you want to control the channels and reverb on the amp) and have all of your patches set into banks of 8 presets. Definitely look up and check out the Loop 8 Floor :yesway:

10. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

^The Rocktron Patchmate Loop 8 Floor can switch amp channels and corresponding pedals? Like switch from my distortion channel with Decimator, eq pedal and Od to my clean channel with chorus, flanger and turn on my FX loop with my delay in it in 1 button press? Does it work with the 5 pin footswitch jack?

11. TheWarAgainstTime

^you'd need a special cable if your amp uses a DIN connector instead of 1/4" relay jacks, but the Patchmate stuff and GCX can be used to change channels and other functions from the "send" of each loop. One loop send for channel switching, one for loop on/off, etc.

12. tasty jam

tasty jam SS.org Regular

Yeah, I have a rack. I just put all the fx in a drawer cuz I never change the settings on any pedals, and id have like a web of wires all over the place on the stage, so I had to mount them all close together.
    The loop 8 looks interesting i'll look it up!
    Thanks!

13. TheWarAgainstTime

The Loop 8 would pair nicely with either the matching MidiMate or a Behringer FCB1010, which are both fairly inexpensive :yesway: