VHT Sig X Head

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Petef2007, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Petef2007

Petef2007 SS.org Regular

Right then, i've spent a lot of time with my Sig X, and so i'm gonna post a review of it here. The amp is dry (no boost or anything like that, bar a noisegate).

Ease Of Use
    Theres a bit of a learning curve to this amp, but it's not so sharp. Basically, rather then having eq parameters become a bit useless after a certain point like some other amps (the gain in particular), everything remains crystal clear at whatever you set it to, n this can take some getting used to in terms of setting up a sound. The learning curve basically comes in the form of being able to hear the subtle differences that each parameter changes with varied settings. Theres a LOT of knobs n switches on it, so again it takes some getting used to, but it isn't as steep a curve as, say, some of the higher end mesa boogies ie. roadkings etc.

Features
    3 channels (clean, rhythm, lead), with pretty much endless options per channel. Cleans can be switched from bassy low end, to a pristine, sparkly clean and everything inbetween. Lead and Rhythm channels both have gain stacking ability, with individual voicings for each gain stage, boosting options, more or less gain etc. The possibilities are unlimited. Each channel has the option to be run in either 40W or 100W, and thanks to dual KT88's powering the amp, doesn't lose any character on either setting. It lacks the graphic EQ band that the Pitbull UL has, but makes up for it with the amount of tonal diversity it presents. Effects are switchable from parallel to series, with the blend knob switching roles depending on the fx loop setting. 5 channel footswitch, feels like it could survive a bomb going off in the same room.

Reliability
    Not had any problems with it yet, can't see as i will, as its built to precision and it's solid as a rock - if i were to drop this amp, the earth would probably dent before the chassis. Can't say i've really heard of anyone having problems with a VHT amp in general.

Value
    They're a little on the expensive side, but for an amp with this much tone and this many options, it's to be expected. I kinda lucked out n got mine £500 off in a sale over here in the UK (due to the namechange), i think they generally retail for somewhere in the £1500 region. For that price, you really can't do wrong for a high end high gainer.

Expressiveness/Sounds
    Where do i begin? Well, lets start with cleans. Seriously, the cleans on this amp blow me away. I can EQ to whatever i want, n still get a pristine, pure, beautifully rounded clean sound. The rhythm channel is great for chugging rhythms, nice n dry, each note feels like you're being thumped in the chest. The Lead channel is where it's at as far as i'm concerned. This channel has BALLS. Very midrange tone, one of the most air moving tones i've come across. Compliments good playing very well - this amp seems to have more dynamic sensitivity then some other high gainers i've played before. I play prog metal in the vein of symphony x, dream theater, adagio etc etc. n this amp suits the style down to the ground. Can go from a full on metal roar to beautifully sublime cleans with one click of a footswitch.

Overall Rating
    This amp is basically what i've been looking for in an amp for a long time now. I apologise if this review sounds a bit zomg fanboi, but i honestly can't praise this amp, and VHT in general, high enough. Well worth the money, and once you spend some time with it n get used to how everything interacts with everything else, it'll reward you with epic tone. Highly recommended.

2. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

Man, your amp review increases my VHT ("Fryette" :squint:) GAS :drool:

3. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Great review! And yeah, the Sig:X has absolutely the best clean tones I've ever heard.

4. Killian

Killian SS.org Regular

I just traded my splawn Quickrod stack in for this head and the deliverance cab! I could not be happier with the versatility without the sacrifice of tone! Thanks Steve!

5. Jahlord

Jahlord SS.org Regular

I almost totally agree with this ;)
    I found myself using the lead channel at home for 'metal' tones.
    But at band volume I liked the rhythm channel more.
    You cut through so well with this amp, also very very clear!
    Almost like playing clean with the advantages of high gain and the clarity of clean sounds.

Almost all settings sound good, nothing gets annoying in the EQ range (well except treble on 10 ;) ) So yuo can really make your sound fit in the sound of the band without sacrificing things about the tone you like.

I play this with a Marshall jcm800 lead1982 cab.

6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I love my Sig:X. I've been kinda messing around with the rhythm channel as it isn't 100%, but it's getting there. If I could only get the rhythm channel to approximate an early Annihilator/CoB tone, I'd be in business. Anyways, nice review.

7. LoyK

LoyK SS.org Regular

I love mine too, great review!

8. Hitman106

Hitman106 Mr. Crow

compares with the roadster?? tone wise?

9. Darkened

Darkened SS.org Regular

I'm changing my Cobra for this amp, hope it won't dissappoint me :)

10. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

@Darkened -- It won't. The Sig:X is bad ass.

11. Carvinkook

Carvinkook SS.org Regular

Its in the works.. really looking.forward.to it! Nice review