VHT Deliverance 412 Cab Loose/Scooped Problem

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BadSeed, Dec 5, 2017.

1. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Hey folks,

I recently picked up a couple new guitar cabs and was doing a little cabinet shootout the other day. I've had my Deliverance 412 for a while and swapped in Celestion K100 Speakers, but have hardly used it because I didn't have casters to move it around.

I tried it out the other night next to my Diezel Vintage Cabinet, Mesa OS cab, and Marshall MF400 cab (same speakers) and the VHT cab was by far my least favorite. It sounded hollow in the mid section, real bright up top and was the loosest in the lows of any of the cabs that I tried it against.

Everything I read about the cab pointed in the other direction, saying it was big but tight and clear sounding, but I don't get that vibe at all. Even after swapping the P50e's out and the K100's in, I noticed the cab itself seems to have a really dominant voice that colors the tone a good bit.

Should I be checking something inside this cab, or is that just what these things sound like? I'm ready to put it back to stock an sell it, but wouldn like to make sure I'm not missing something first.

2. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

I'm also curious about this cab. I wonder if you should try some Fane F70's or F90's? These seem to be an upgrade from the P50e's.

Also, what amp are you using? I've certainly heard that VHT/Fryette amps pair best with their respective cabs, but could it be that the cabs are also picky about which amp is used?

3. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

You probably would prefer the fat bottom cab.

I have the 4x12 and 2x12 with stock p50e’s. It’s tight and actually balances a lot of amps that tend to be to bright and mid heavy, like Peavey stuff.

4. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

FB w/ P50Es here, super tight bass. You do have to crank up your amp though, they compare more favorably to other cabs at high volumes.

5. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Pretty weird imo.

The D412 was by far the tightest and most directional cab I have ever played through.

I would open it up and have a look inside to be sure nothing is wrong.

6. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Well, I figured it out. It's one of those things that you overlook when comparing cabinets, trying to make sure all things are the same.

I brought my Peavey K85 loaded 412M up and tried it, had it placed exactly where the vht was, and got similar results. I KNOW what that cab should sound like, as I've used it extensively over the past 7 years, and it also did not sound right.

I overlooked the fact that the Diezel is sitting with it's back right up against a wall, and I had both the VHT and 412M cabs sitting at an angle beside it, with nothing behind it but my rack of guitars. The cab coupling to the wall made a huge difference.

I moved the rack and put the VHT up to the wall, no casters, directly beside the Diezel. Huge difference. The cab is much punchier and more balanced sounding now, no weird hollow mids or floppy bottom end. Crazy how much cab placement in a room can alter the sound of a cabinet, but this is a well known thing that I just happened to overlook.

Now, I'm very happy with the VHT and it will definitely be sticking around. Still hard to beat those $100 K85 loaded Peavey cabs though!

lewis likes this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

well done for figuring this out

bizarre how sciences can completely ruin the sound of any given thing.

8. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

+1 on figuring it out and not losing out on a killer cab.

I learned this science rule with my 2x12. I had it on top of a 4x12 and it sounded horrible. Worst ever.

Then I put it on the floor and realized how awesome it was.

BadSeed likes this.
  9. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Totally get that. It's wild, all the variable that can go into making or breaking a guitar tone.