Vht 2/90/2 Vs Marshall 9200 which is louder?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by ozzman619, Nov 1, 2017.

1. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

Does anyone have any experience with both the VHT/Fryette 2/90/2 and the Marshall 9200. I’ve read tones of threads comparing the two power amps based on tone but no one ever mentions how they stack up against each other volume wise. I know for most people either amp is plenty loud but for me I’m looking for sheer power. If anyone has had any experience with these two amps I’d love to hear about what you thought of them in terms of volume!

2. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

It might be hard to get a real fair comparison as the master volume pot tapers are likely very different.

My 2/50/2 has a very smooth taper, it's real easy to get a good bedroom volume, it doesn't jump from too quiet to too loud like most tube amps tend to. That may lead to the perception that the Marshall is louder, since it likely would be if you set both at 1 out of 10 on the master volume.

As far as sheer power, the 2/90/2 will likely be a hell of a lot cleaner. VHT / Fryette have a reputation for being very clean and clear, where Marshall is kind of the opposite. Most people who use a marshal poweramp want it to distort, and that's what it's designed to do.

3. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

That’s exactly what I figured about the VHT 2/90/2 that’s why I’d love to hear someone’s opinion who has had both and has cranked them both up.

Also not sure why my thread got moved to the beginners section, do threads here have to directly relate to djent and periphery to be relevant?

4. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

As far as power, the 2/90/2's KT88s are capable of 45 watts output each, totaling 90 watts per side. The 9200's 6L6GC tubes are capable of the same. Wattage wise, they're equal. The VHT 2150, Mesa/Boogie Coliseum 300 or Strategy 500, or Rivera Hammer 320 are capable of more power.

Speaking from owning the Strategy 500 (eight 6L6 and four 6550 tubes at 200 watts per side) and the Simul 2:Ninety (90 watts per side) along with having a friend with a Crate 300 watt Blue Voodoo amp head, the increases in power mean less and less for sheer volume at high levels. More efficient speakers (higher SPL) and careful setting of EQ for clarity makes far more difference than wattage alone can make.

It was likely moved to the beginner section since experience will really show you how little of a difference the numbers make in the end.