VH-4 or Hagen?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TedintheShed, Sep 10, 2017.

1. TedintheShed

TedintheShed SS.org Regular

Now that Sweetwater carries Diesel, I am giving these amps a serious look. Diesel is used by some serious folks, and it's usually the VH-4 so that's my gut. But the Hagen description says it has a more modern tone.

Looking for feedback on these two amps and their differences, especially in the low end.

Thanks,
    Ted

2. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

If you want modern go Herbert. As a VH4 owner, it can do some modern tones if you boost the shit out of it, but it's not what it is made for. The Herbert has tons of low end and a lot more punch than the VH4. The Vh4 doesn't have the tons of gain that something like a triple rec or 5150 do, it's also noticably "softer" in the high end in my experience. The Hagen is kind of an in between, meant to be a more full featured amp than the amps they offered just before, ie the Einstein and Schmidt. If you haven't played a Diezel before either I'd recommend trying one out before you buy it. There's a lot of talk online about how amazing the VH4 is, but for a lot of people it doesn't work. I know several people who bought one on hype, didn't like it, then sold it 2-3 months later. If you're used to Marshalls or Mesas, the VH4 has a weird midrange that sounds like a muff. I hated mine for a solid 6 months before I kind of worked out it's uses and how to make it sound the way I want.

3. TedintheShed

TedintheShed SS.org Regular

The Herbert is a beast. What about the D-Moll?

4. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I can off no help, but the 48 months interest free at Sweetwater makes me want to buy so many things.

5. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I haven't tried the D-Moll, but it strikes me as being a tighter more stripped down version of a Herbert. It's still modern but in a different way, kind of like a rec vs. a mark. I originally wanted a D-Moll before I got the VH4, but I ended up getting mine for cheaper than I'd seen any D-Moll so, it is what it is.

6. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

VH4.

I currently have the Herbert and VH4. Played the Hagen... its less modern feeling/sounding compared to either the VH4 or Herbert. The Hagen has more sag, squish, less definition. If you want modern metal... the Herbert is the king.

7. shadow070

shadow070 SS.org Regular

I have a Herbert. I play jazz and metal, this amp does it all. When i tried a VH4 a long time a go i didnt like it. The sound and feel wasnt for me. I bought the Herbert blind and sold all other amps i had. Please try before you buy! everyone hears and experiances something different when it comes to ''sound''.

The Herbert has a massive usuable low end. The Engl SE was my main amp back in time. The low end was to much, when playing with my band i always had to turn my low end of. With the Herbert i can decide with the deep and also mid cut when you know how to use it, how much low end i have.

What the others also say is true. If you are a Marshall or mesa guy, this might not be your amp.

8. Rtf417

Rtf417 SS.org Regular

Never tried the Hagan, but tried the VH4. Wasn’t impressed with the VH4, at least the few that I’ve tried. I wasn’t diggin’ the VH4 sound. Others love and swear by the VH4 which is fine, but personal preference, the sound wasn’t for me. I have the D-Moll, which I believe is a cross between the Hagan and Einstein. It’s a dry sounding amp but cuts through very well in a mix or live situations. The Mid-Cut control, when engaged, makes Channels 2/3 sound massive, huge, and ballsy, no muddiness at all. The cleans on the D-Moll are great. One of the best I’ve heard on any Diezel I tried. The D-Moll just works for me. Also put into consideration what cab you will be possibly using with a Diezel amp. IMO, the cab is one of the most important parts in your gear to achieve the sound you are lookin for. Diezel’s are great amps but try them out first before you buy, it might or might not be what you are looking for. This is just my opinion and experience with some Diezel Amps.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    TedintheShed likes this.
  9. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I'm kind of surprised to hear this -- wasn't the Hagen designed specifically for modern prog metal type sounds / extended tunings??

I've only owned the Herbert though, and not going to refute any recommendation there! :)

10. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

I’ve had a Herbert. Fantastic amp! It weighs a metric ton and is built like a tank!

11. Wizard of Ozz

Not that I recall ever hearing. It was made to "address" some complaints or wants people had. That Diezels are too tight, too modern sounding, they don't have enough sag, not greasy enough, they don't sound or feel like all the other boutique brands (Bogner most often compared to)... so Peter built the Hagen wth some of those "want items" in mind. A softer, more vintage Marshally-vibe to it. I personally like bright/tight/hard amps... some people like warmer, squishy, feeling amps with more give to them. I don't. Notes tend to get jumbled together especially when playing fast leads or heavy downtuned rhythm chords. Herbert is still the metal-king. If you downtune a lot or want the meanest or the mean... this is your baby. And for comparison, the VH4 is much tighter, and more focused sounding than the Hagen. Not even close IMHO. The 3rd channel of the VH4 is still the business... it merges a classic hot-rodded gain sound with a modern tight feel and response.

12. Wizard of Ozz

I agree with you on the SE. I always keep the deep switch off (use only for extreme chugg!)... and the mega-lo punch is simply completely over the top. I usually keep both of these buttons off. Otherwise great amp... and the yin to the Herbies yang.

13. shadow070

shadow070 SS.org Regular

I remember you switching from the Herbert to the SE, you also had wicked songs up on the main Diezel site if im correct? I loved that recorded tone.

When i had the SE: i would always be bussy pushing a button, twisting something in the EQ. Their was something in the mid range, a spike i didnt like but back then could not get rid of.
    When and since i got the Herbert: i would just play.

Here i learned, to each their own. My younger brother has a powerball 1 now for 10 years or so. He still loves it and its not my cup of tea. Due to wicked clips online of the Herbert i bought it blind. Back then no shops here where i live had Diezel. Once just 1 shop had a VH4 i didnt like. So given the chance try before you buy.