Veteran Turned "Model" Interrupts Protest on College Campus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by lelandbowman3, Apr 19, 2015.

1. asher

asher So Did We

There's nothing inherently scary, it's just part of how we communicate. Being able to have stand ins for large, complex ideas that are otherwise not easy to convey is really important.

2. RobbYoung

RobbYoung Psalm Mutes Fix Wars

Really don't think anyone would have had a problem with this kind of thing here in Britain... Yeah we've got our own share of "Patriots" but over here that's a phrase used purely for racist or fascist extremists.

Despite us not having "the right to free speech" as a constitutional right, it's surprising how much more free our speech can be if it's controversial...

Just my two pence, not trying to .... storm.

3. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

It's not illegal to walk on a flag. It's covered by the first amendment and every time a case about flag desecration made it to the supreme court they've ruled it as protected under the first amendment. There are laws still on the books in many states about it, but they aren't enforceable. The 'patriot' was the only one committing a crime by taking it from them as that's a clear cut case of theft.

No matter ones opinion on the flag or the protest that is fact. The veteran was in the wrong. Personally I agree, it's just a cloth. Frankly, I find the comments at the end of that article hypocritical and appalling (and the usual commentary for this sort of event). I'll never understand why patriotism and violence always go hand-in-hand. I see it all the time with former military folk and their most vocal supporters.

Someone locally did something similar and quite a few people made it their mission to get him fired from his place of employment. All of the ex-military commenting were saying they'd stomp his face in and other childish bully threats. Nearly everyone was completely ignorant to the updated laws as many were claiming it is illegal, which it isn't. Dumb.

4. lelandbowman3

lelandbowman3 SS.org Regular

wow, I forgot about this thread.
    Again, I supported the guy's right to protest until his white-hate agenda/manifest came out declaring he would kill whites in the streets and urged other black americans to do the same.
    just search "Eric Sheppard Valdosta Daily Times"

5. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard Dignity

The thing that always gets me about this is that these people swore an oath to defend the constitution. I'd think they'd be more pro-free speech than anybody.

I've only ever met really well-spoken vets/ active duty though, so I assume this is a minority. Still, you always see these people come out of the woodwork with stories like this.

6. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

No doubt. You have to consider I live in Texas as well where manners among a lot of people can be lacking when religion, patriotism or Obama are involved. :lol:

7. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

And this is the reason why I LOVE living in California. I have family in Texas that I love to pieces and there's a lot of good things about southern culture that I love, but the things you mentioned (along with the topic of LGBT rights) are not among them. :lol: