Very Dull IRs?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MechyKola, Apr 1, 2016.

1. MechyKola

MechyKola SS.org Regular

Yo!! I have been using guitarhack powertube jj impulses, which have been great. When i tried out other impulse responses they all sound very dull, like nothing above 4khz. This also happens on fredman impulses from guitarhack. The only impulses where it doesn't happen is the centre impulses from guitarhack. Am i doing something wrong? I've tested god's cab 1.3 and redwires impulses:ugh:

2. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It's probably just a matter of taste. I've tried Ownhammer, Redwirez and tons of others and I'm still using the free Guitar Hacks pack. They are hands down my favourite cab sims. The only ones that come close are from the Catharsis IR pack.

Best Free Guitar Cab IR For Metal | Metal Home Recording.com

But yeah, I agree totally that the Guitar Hacks IRs are better than most out there but I think it kinda depends on what kind of tone you're after. Sometimes a tone that you like to jam on your own with doesn't sound as good in a mix as one that, on it's own sounds kinda thin but sits extremely well in a mix.

3. MechyKola

MechyKola SS.org Regular

you see the issue is that i've seen other people on tone tutorials use the same irs and get a decent tone, but when i use them they sound like they've been low passed at 4khz

4. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It could be that they've done some kind of post processing involved in converting and/or uploading the video that altered the sound quality.