Very bright LP style guitar. Bridge pickup.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ekulggats, Dec 3, 2018.

1. ekulggats

ekulggats SS.org Regular

Been troubleshooting this thing for a bit now. This guitar has asstons of high mid, just from the wood itself -in spite of it being solid mahog body. I knocked on the body with my knuckle with it against my ear and it is totally apparent why it sounds so overly present in the amp. I did the same thing with a basswood Ibby and Mahog LTD, went back and forth between the three a lot and they both are quite noticeably warmer, more 'soft' whereas the LP is very staccato/chopped in its response. Just rapping my knuckle on the wood was almost too much with that one lol.

Pickups I have tried- Alternative 8, Jb. The JB seemed to slightly better of the two, 'warmer' seeming and had more character.

It's clear the guitar has plennnnty of presence (which is rad as I play djent influenced progressive death). I like med/high output, nothing too crazy though.

What pickups would maybe encourage a bit more warmth and note development? I like the natural presence it has but it is overly harsh as it is. It is out of the realm of being fixable with amp eq, (alt 8 in it rn). I can get it sounding 'decent' but not amazing.

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Slap a 250K pot on the volume position, that will take away some of the brightness.

I was in shock when the JB I put into my strat needed a 500K volume, because it was too dark without it :lol:

ekulggats likes this.
  3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

If you're sticking with Duncan, you could try out a Pegasus, as this may fix your brightness issue and still give you tonal qualities that cater somewhat to your particular genre. Although the Pegasus may still be too bright in the high end if this guitar really is as bright as you say.

If this guitar is super super bright then I recommend a Custom Custom (SH-11). The SH-11 is super warm and has very warm and fat high-mids and treble. Not sure if its the best match for your genre of preference though but if you are looking to tame the brightness the Custom Custom is your answer.

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

You might try something with more emphasis on lower mids and bass like an Invader or Tone Zone.

I always sort of wrote off the TZ as a muddy "rock" pickup because it was muddy in my Jackson, but I actually really liked it in an RG3120 I had. That guitar was mahogany, but was much brighter/more resonant overall. The result of the TZ in the 3120 was very lush, clear, and articulate. I only tuned it as low as drop C, but the low end was still pretty tight. A ceramic magnet would probably let you go even lower :2c: as a bonus, you can usually find used Tone Zone/Air Norton sets for dirt cheap since they come stock in a handful of Ibanez models :D

ekulggats likes this.
  5. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

^ This! I had the same issue with (another LP shaped) LTD Eclipse-shape sig model. Neck thru, mahogany wings, ebony fb. I put An Alnico Pro II in neck, with Custom Custom in bridge, sounds just about right now :D

ekulggats and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Nice! Would love to hear soundclips if you have them. Not enough Custom Custom love out there.

ekulggats likes this.
  7. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Longer cable will shift the resonant peak of the pickup down in frequency.

ekulggats likes this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

yeah, if you use like a 30 ft cable :lol:

9. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

10. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Throw a 1u cap across the pickup leads and it'll drop the peak also. Might be worth a shot.

ekulggats likes this.
  11. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I'm not sure that will even be enough... maybe 300ft? :)

Anyway, to the OP:
    Miracle Man works great in Les Pauls and has lots of low mids and low end, which makes it sound huge.

12. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

I have a bright LP that sounds great with stock 500T in bridge and 300k pot. People tell you to go 500k because it's a HB, without really knowing what pots do.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  13. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

14. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

He's comparing cables on what I assume is a buffered output of an acoustic guitar internal preamp. The preamp basically negates the load, so yeah cables aren't going to make a difference there.

We're talking about hooking up a cable (capacitive load) to a passive source pickup. Disclaimer: I haven't personally measured this stuff, but an inductor and a capacitor hooked up in such a way produce a very real and measurable filter network.

15. ekulggats

ekulggats SS.org Regular

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 1:13 AM
  16. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Try the Elysian Trident II pickups with alnico magnets. I have an A8/A5 magnet configuration in a bright ash baritone and they slay. Around the output of a JB, very similar in tone but with more lows and highs ,and the mids shifted down a little. Sounds fatter yet clearer! Give them a shot :yesway:

ekulggats likes this.
  17. KnightBrolaire

trident ii is nothing like a jb imo. I absolutely love the tridents but they're not really the best fit if you want a warmer tone. Adam could tweak the tridents for you if need be, but the hellfires are much better suited for taming brighter guitars ime.

18. Emperoff

Have you tried the Alnico tridents?

19. KnightBrolaire

yep, i have alnico trident 1 and trident 2 sets, along with a set of hellfires, a javelin neck, and goliath 8 string pickups. they were the sets that sold me on elysian pickups. I've yet to find a better pickup for the sounds I want, or better ERG pickups.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 10:52 PM
  20. Emperoff

Then you and me have very different concepts of bright and warm pickups. To me the alnico Trident IIs are warm pickups. Warmer than a JB and infinetely warmer than something like an Aftermath or an EMG81.