Vader V8X?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by cardinal, Aug 8, 2018.

1. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I’m dangerously close to ordering a Vader 8-string with a tremolo. I’d probably get 0 options to minimize the chance for shenanigans.

I read lots of hate and mocking of Kiesel; does anyone have one they are happy with?

Other than an Agile, Kiesel seems to be the cheapest way into an 8-string with a trem, and presumably the quality should be pretty good for a $1500 guitar?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

i think kiesel makes excellent guitars for the price point, especially for minimally specced out guitars. the only reason i sold my 8 string vaders was because i prefer longer scale lengths than they offer. i love my dc600 and all the vaders i've had, but my blue vm8 was by far my favorite. there was something about the way it sounded thatjust made me not want to put it down

3. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Cool, thanks man. I'm good with 27" straight scale, so that should work for me. Curious: what woods were your blue VM8 made from?

I'm thinking of just the maple neck/alder wings to make it cheap as possible since I'm not sure if I'll really like this thing.

4. KnightBrolaire

my blue vm8 was black limba wings, maple/walnut neck and flamed maple top with ebony fingerboard. Honestly it was a tad bright(but I loved that brightness on the low end) and the lithiums are quite bright pickups (had them in an all limba guitar as well). YMMV

5. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

All that fancy stuff! Appreciate the help.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

haha no it's pretty subdued compared to the ziricote one i had

cardinal likes this.
  7. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Haha it’s all relative. I’m really looking at just maple neck, alder wings, metallic red (which turns out not to cost anything since they will give $100 in options for no cost). With black hardware and a maple board, I think would look reasonably nice.

I just end up selling anything that does not look just like a Strat/Tele/Les Paul, so I suspect that I won’t be happy with a Vader no matter what it costs or looks like though :(

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The quality is great for a $1500 guitar. I'm not really a big fan of some of thier most recent shenanigans, but for what you pay for a standard, base model you're not going to find much better.

I'd be interested to see what you think of the trem on these. I didn't like it, but I'm picky.

9. KnightBrolaire

edit: nvm

10. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Cool, thanks!

What about the trem didn’t you like? As long as it stays in tune after a complete dive, I’d probably be happy with it.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It kept tune really well, it was just stiff and didn't take to warbles and flutters. The range was somewhat limited too.

I actually like it better than other headless stuff I've tried, but I still rather use a Floyd, so I'm sticking with Agile until a better production option in the $2k range comes up.

12. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Cool. Agile is the other thing I’m looking at. They won’t currently do an 8-string Strat or Tele, but it seems like they will do a 22 fret, 27” scale 8-string Les Paul with a Floyd. It comes out in my case around the price of the Vader.

I’ll have to ask Kurt about what locking nut they’d use. The Floyd Rose 8 nut is 55 mm, which I like. But the production Agiles with a Floyd use something considerably wider. I’d really want them to use the 55 mm Floyd Rose nut.

13. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

14. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

The Quality is good for a stock guitar, if you stick with solid colour and no fancy woods.

Stick with your basic woods and you can spec out something decent.

From what I've seen Jeff charges WAY too much for different woods just to build the same guitar at the end result.

15. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Turns out Agile will use the 55mm Floyd 8 nut (instead of whatever gigantic nut they use on their typical Interceptor 8 FRs), so I’m kinda leaning towards an 8-string Agile AL with a Floyd as a way to get an 8-string with a trem that won’t cost me $4k.

Seems kinda silly to buy a Korean guitar that’s about as expensive as US-made Vader, though.

16. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

I must warn you, I have had 3 Agile 8s with floyds in my hand and they all gave me issues. that nut that they use is not a genuine floyd nut, it's a "cepheus" nut. the quality was poor on the ones i received... the finish on the face of the nut was so rough that it was messing with my intonation and causing sitar sounds. also, the strings are VERY close to the edge of the fretboard with that same nut. Normally i recommend agile, they are nice for the money and the customer service is phenomenal, but in this particular case i'd advise you to look elsewhere. but i guess you can see for yourself if you don't mind returning if you have the same experience.

any reason why you don't want that schecter?

17. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

So the production Schecters use a super wide locking nut, something closer to 59 or 60mm wide. That is not the Floyd Rose nut; I’m assuming it’s something proprietary to Agile and I guess from your experience it’s pretty junky.

But I asked them specifically what they would use on a custom order if I selected Floyd Rose Original as an option, and they said they would use a 55 mm nut. That’s the dimensions of the actual Floyd Rose nut, though you’re right that I should follow up to confirm that they will use the genuine Floyd Rose part and not a knock-off with the same dimensions.

The Schecter C8FR would be killer if the scale weren’t so long. I just cannot deal with 28” scale length.

18. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Obviously my photoshop skillz are terrible, and it would be a V8X not a VM6, but I kinda dig this...

[​IMG]

So indecisive...

19. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Ahhhhh
    [​IMG]

makecamera likes this.
  20. KnightBrolaire

black pickguard would make the fretboard/pickups stand out more, and it would match the bridge :2c:

cardinal likes this.